Used Grape skins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
Can I use some frozen grape skins from a WE crushendo kit that I saved? I am going to make some Strawberry wine and some Blueberry wine and I'd like to see if adding skins will give these more body. When I made the crushendo kit I saved the skins thinking I could use them in the future but wasn't sure if this could be done.

Also - How much wine can I make with 6 lbs of strawberries? I was thinking maybe 2 gallons.

I am not sure about the grape skins - but 6# of strawberries would be about a gallon of wine. 5-6# of strawberries per gallon.

I'm just a beginner here and just getting started in this sport (on kit # 14 since Jan.) but I saved my grape skins from a RJS winery series cab I did and then threw them in to a cheap VDV Cab Merlot afterwards. I haven't tasted the Winery Series cab yet as its still in the carboy but the VDV was way better than I expected it to be and had much more body than I was expecting as well. I tend to think the grape skins improved my VDV but I don't have a stock VDV to compare it with.
Cheers!

Thanks,

I will dump them in the primary. They were frozen immediately following my first racking of my WE Crushendo cab so they are OK I"m sure. Just wasn't sure if anyone had done this and if it did any good. My blueberry from last year was colorless and no body so I'm going to make a second go at it this year and add some cab skins to get some tannins. I"m also doing an F-pak like Tom recommends to add some flavor and color. I'll do the same with my strawberry.

I really dont think there is much in there after fermenting out in the previous wine myself.

Thanks Wade.

I'll find out I guess. They were only on the Crushendo I had for about 5 days so I'm hoping to squeeze some tannins out.

Latest posts

Back