Used good nutrients, but still had lots of H2S

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night, I used lots of high-quality nutrients (thin-crust pizza with roasted garlic cloves). Nonetheless, I detected large amounts of H2S activity. In fact, I checked on it many times throughout the night, and it kept on emitting H2S.

This morning, I fed it additional nutrients (coffee, cereal). The H2S got worse before it got better, getting really bad at one point. But then that seems to have subsided and it is clearing up, so I think I am in the clear for now.

What did I do wrong? Has anyone else experienced this?

Very very common.. This should be followed up with healthy portions of baked bean, caramelized onions, cabbage and brussel sprouts. This will slightly increase the H2S output temporarily. Repeat for three days and then consume 16oz each of blue cheese, gouda and manchego.

After the cheese application very little H2S will be produced.

You need to add more tannins (smoked paprika) to your first nutrient addition, possibly in the form of a smoked sliced protein laden with the tannin. They will greatly improve nutrient uptake and help avoid the H2S activity.

Actually, there were smoked sliced proteins amongst the nutrients; I will have to read the label more closely, but I believe they were of a porcine origin. No paprika on the label though; maybe I will try that next time.

Well, you could always add some psyllium with the first nutrient addition and the H2S production will pass quickly, usually by the next morning, especially when you add coffee to the nutrient chain.

Next time add some of this (up front) to your nutrient protocol......

ca5266db-55c7-4c35-bd25-430023e8871e_1.671e3c0cc1a36424e9013db03f049f52.jpeg

Well, you could always add some psyllium with the first nutrient addition and the H2S production will pass quickly, usually by the next morning, especially when you add coffee to the nutrient chain.

Well, I did something similar for the fiber requirements. I put plenty of fibrous petals and sepals from the flowers of a thistle. I also ate the base ("receptacle") of those thistle flowers. (I think the Italians call these flowers carciofi.) I also ate some of the oily, drupaceous fruit of a mediterranean evergreen shrub (without the stone of the fruit, of course); the fruit was brined and spiced before I added it to the mix.

Latest posts

Back