used bourbon barrels for wine ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakervinyard

Reaction score
Saw an add on craigs list for used bourbon barrels for sale. Can they be used for ageing wine.?Would the bourbon flavor over power the wine ? They are 5 gal. barrels for 75.00. Any feedback ? Thanks, Bakervinyard

That seems like a very small bourbon barrel. Are you sure of that size? We used to use 53-55 gallon barrels from Schenley Distillery in Pennsylvania many years ago and they worked great. Many still had about a pint or so of whiskey still in them and the price was only $5 per barrel! The first time you use it you will get some taste moving over to the wine and subsequent uses would make it indiscernible.

LOL, Good point, Dan. When we picked up these barrels there was such a fresh alcohol aroma that we never considered using a sulfur stick. I can see where that could be a problem, though, if one lit a sulfur stick, put it in the barrel and put the bung back in place! I would not want to be there.

Rocky, The add did say 5 gal. barrels. Unless it was a misprint. I would have to check with the sellar on the size.

Runningwolf, i didn't even consider the sulfer stix. Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't want the misses to have a hissy fit.

Thanks for the imput, I think i'll look into them a little more. Bakervinyard

Indiscernible? I did this and everything I put in it tastes like bourbon! How did you clean them?

Be careful burning sulfur sticks in it. There have been cases where other wine makers did the same thing and then put a sulfur stick in it. Kaboom!

Isn't that how they make oak chips??? lol

Last edited:
If they do, don't they shave the inner layers off first? When I put in wine, it tasted like bourbon

Many of the small micro-distilleries springing up use 5 gallon barrels. They call them baby bourbon or other cute names. If you don't want the bourbon influence, why not rinse it out a few times before use. A cidery near me uses used bourbon barrels for hard apple cider and integrates the bourbon flavor into the cider.

Right, but who wants bourbon in their wine? I get that the complexity can be a plus when working on ciders, beers, etc, but what do people think about aging a port in a baby bourbon barrel? I had a tiny 5L barrel and put whiskey in it for ONLY 5 hours and then changed my Mind and wanted to age rum in it. After many rinses, washes, and anything else I could do, the rum still tastes PREDOMINANTLY like whiskey. Everyone who drinks from it thinks I'm giving them some age-it-yourself whiskey.

be careful when using whiskey barrels wine.. whiskey barrels tend to be a lot thinner wood then wine barrels.

with whiskey, most makers want much more in the way of micro oxidation than one would get in a wine barrel. whiskey makers also like to store their barrels in closed off sheds to max the high temps and low temps during the seasons of the year.

This is not ALWAYS the case though.. best to check a wine barrel's wood thickness, then compare to the whiskey barrel you intend to purchase.

I've heard of whiskey being aged in sherry casks, but not the other way around.

Lots to consider when using used barrels. Like the smaller barrels age out the wine must faster due to much more surface area. Depending on size of barrel, time has a big multiplier. The smaller barrels are much thinner, so what's in it may oxidize faster, plus more evaporation (angels share). Next is how long has it been empty? Once they start drying out, micro organisms, bacteria, mold, you name it can get in the barrel wood. Once a barrel becomes empty it needs to be cleaned and then filled with water and changed often. Not sure whiskey tasting wine would be good, but I guess only through experimentation will one find out. If you decide to try it, let us know how it goes.

I remember reading something about there being a big difference in the thickness of wood between wine and whiskey barrels and that whiskey barrels are much thinner that wine barrels. Apparently, this is because whiskey barrels are required to impart a much higher level of micro oxidation that wine barrels.

Has anyone else heard of this?

There are a handful of commercial wineries doing this now. Mondavi(with a cabernet) and Apothic(I believe with a blend). They aren't leaving it in there to make it taste completely like bourbon, the oak aspect has a bourbon tone. I personally don't care for it, although it is a unique taste.
https://www.robertmondaviprivateselection.com/bourbon-barrel-aged-cabernet-sauvignon.php
http://www.kenyonsmarket.com/apothic-inferno/

I've had the Mondavi and liked it. Actually bought a bottle of the Inferno last night to try it out (normally not a big fan of their stuff, but am curious). But at 15.9%, that one will have to wait for the weekend. :i

I've had the Mondavi and liked it. Actually bought a bottle of the Inferno last night to try it out (normally not a big fan of their stuff, but am curious). But at 15.9%, that one will have to wait for the weekend. :i

I didn't care for the Mondavi, just funky tasting, plus I am not a big bourbon guy, so that may be part of it.
Curious to hear about the Apothic. For a cheap wine($9 - $10 down here), I don't mind their Dark or Crush. Don't care for their regular red or white blend.

Last edited:
A lot of start up distilleries and craft distilleries use 5 gallon barrels for the first few years since the barrel aging time speeds up dramatically. The 53 gallon barrels need at least 2 years of aging time while the 5 gallon barrels comes off in a matter of a few months with the same effect, due to the increased contact area.

Latest posts

Back