Use only bucket fermentor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethepirk

Reaction score
Anyone here use only a bucket and not a glass carboy?

What would be a disadvantage to this other than seeing clarity?
I see this would be very easy and cheaper, in my opinion as a newbie.

Feel free to slap me across the face with a dead fish if I am being newbie stupid:?

SLAP!!! (Sorry couldn't resist).

The way many of us make wine is as follows...

1. Larger fermenter for the primary fermentation. Allows room for stiiring, foaming, and air.

2. Rack to a carboy (glass or plastic) to complete fermentation, and for aging. The carboy should be 'almost' full to prevent oxidation of the wine. (Different folks have different definitions of 'almost'.)

If you are making a VERY QUICK wine, I guess that doing it all in a pail is OK, but it's not something that I would do.

Steve

What worries me is oxidation so I would transfer to a closed vessel
as soon as fermentation is finished.

I am doing tests on this, as we speak, with a wine made from apple juice (open fermented and closed fermented) and a similar experiment with wine made from plums.

There are some differences but I can give the outcome in details in a few weeks as all experiments have finished.
I need to test alcohol levels, acidity, color, taste etc etc etc etc.....

Until that I recommend first days in an open primary covered with a cloth and transferred after a few days to a secondary with an airlock.

Again, what worries me most is oxidation.

Luc

Luc,
Would you say you would see oxidation more in Apples (wine) than other fruits?
Would you add citric acid (vitiman C)to all fruit wines

Don't the RJ Spagnol's kits instructions have you do this? If you snapped the lid tight during primary fermentation I could see this as a valid process. I brew beer in buckets and leave it 2-3 weeks easily in the primary as such with no issue.

Last edited:
Tom I can't say just yet.

In apple wine you can see oxidation better as it is a light wine, and (now I am spoiling part of the fun) it seems that the one fermented all the way in a bucket is a bit darker as the one fermented in a carboy. It is however slightly darker. More tests have to be done.

The plum wine is more difficult to say as it is a dark colored wine anyhow.

I have made plum wine in three ways. All just small 5 liter batches just for experimenting.
1 normal, meaning open primary, closed secondary
1 open primary, open secondary and then closed when fermentation ceased.
1 open primary, open secondary and still open.

As the measurements, tasting etc still have to be done the Jury is still out on this......

Luc

Don't the RJ Spagnol's kits instructions have you do this?

Not really. Some of their instructions specify a 14 day primary fermentation, then rack to carboy and do everything else. Other kits are the more normal 7 days in primary, then move to carboy.

At least, the way I read lovethepirk's original post is no carboys ever, cause they are too expensive.

Steve

I dont recommend keeping it in primary much longer at all afetr fermentation is done as there is way to much empty volume in there and that leads to oxidation. Tom, i think you meant ascorbic acid as thats the anti-oxidant(vitamin C)

yep thats what I meant. Must be all dat wine again...

Not really. Some of their instructions specify a 14 day primary fermentation, then rack to carboy and do everything else. Other kits are the more normal 7 days in primary, then move to carboy.

At least, the way I read lovethepirk's original post is no carboys ever, cause they are too expensive.

Steve

Ah, OK, I have never made one. I just remember reading people were concerned with the instructions. I had thought they did the entire process in the bucket. Like I said with beer. I rarely do a secondary and leave my beers in the bucket many times up to a month. Never have oxidation problems. There is probably more CO2 on the surface of wine and beers than people think.

There is probably more CO2 on the surface of wine and beers than people think.

Yeah but you don't mess with beer (clearing, degassing, ...). I agree with your comment very early in the process, but not after clearing & degassing, and maybe not after racking if below 1.000 when racked.

Steve

Last edited:
Luc,
Would you add citric acid (vitiman C)to all fruit wines

Sorry,

Overlooked that part.

I personally never add ascobic acid to any of my wines,
so I can not comment on this.

Luc

Yep I stand corrected. :d guess I had to much on the post

Latest posts

Back