US Elite Pinot Noir Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhineMaker

Addicted Member
Reaction score
Got my kit today (Link), and even though my original plan was to do the Reisling first, I decided to start this one.. Their directions are written out very well, and vary greatly from the first Vinifera Noble Cab kit I am making.. First of all they say that Bentonite is not needed in red wines, so it is not included. Secondly, they advise to leave in primary for 2 weeks until all fermentation has ended and SG is at .0996 or lower.. At that time they say to transfer to carboy and add sulphite, post-tannins, clarifier(sparkalloid) etc.. No mention of degassing. We will see how it turns out.. It also came with a oak powder bag which is added to primary.. The initial SG is 1.094 @ 68F...

Their website is www.uselitemicrowinery.com or www.uselitewine.com/, both of which have limited info. I will keep this forum updated on my progress..

BTW.. Got the kit last week when they had a 25% off sale.. That combined with free shipping and a 10.00 gift card got it to my door for 65.00.. Couldn't resist!!

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunds like you got a great deal on the kit.I got one a little while ago myself for about $30 more!
Did you use the oak that came with the kit? Or did you use something else...like cubes or planks.

Sunds like you got a great deal on the kit.I got one a little while ago myself for about $30 more!
Did you use the oak that came with the kit? Or did you use something else...like cubes or planks.

I stuck with what they provided(oak sawdust basically).. I may add an oak spiral after the 7 day mark.. Undecided at this point...

It's your wine, so do as you wish, but I don't believe that Pinot Noir can stand up to a lot of oak. I have not made any good quality Pinot Noirs though.

Steve

On the primary.. The directions just say to cover it.. Did you seal it down with the airlock?? Or just leave it loose.. I actually had a call into them and received a call back as I was typing this and they said to seal the primary for the full 14 days.. The directions were a little unclear there, so its good to have the answer straight from the source!!

It's your wine, so do as you wish, but I don't believe that Pinot Noir can stand up to a lot of oak. I have not made any good quality Pinot Noirs though.

Steve

With the oak "saw dust" in there, I don't think I will need any additional.. I sealed the primary tonight, but just before I did I took another SG reading and I am at 1.090 so I know it is moving in the right direction.. The must smelled absolutely awesome and I could definatley pick up on the oak...

Yes I did seal the primary with an airlock on the lid too.I decided to oak with cubes and used a smaller amount too.

Latest posts

Back