Urgent Help: Fining, Bottling and All

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. I have a separate question – I didn't want to get trigger happy on new threads, so am posting as supplementary to this. Will my wine change colour at all? I have racked it off the secondary lees. It seems very clear. The colour is almost a raspberry red - it looks like Ribena, basically. It doesn't matter a whole lot. But it doesn't have that dark sophisticated wine colour. It looks very light bodied. Which is fine. But I wondered if it would change colour, or if there was something people did to enhance colour - and flavour! There's something in the sight of the wine, after all. Thanks again for all help.

As background, these are just garden grapes, in the UK, and I've no idea what variety. They are small, tightly packed on the vine, and pretty sweet at picking. The wine is red, though it's quite a light-coloured red (almost a deep rose).

Hi all. I have a separate question – I didn't want to get trigger happy on new threads, so am posting as supplementary to this. Will my wine change colour at all? I have racked it off the secondary lees. It seems very clear. The colour is almost a raspberry red - it looks like Ribena, basically. It doesn't matter a whole lot. But it doesn't have that dark sophisticated wine colour. It looks very light bodied. Which is fine. But I wondered if it would change colour, or if there was something people did to enhance colour - and flavour! There's something in the sight of the wine, after all. Thanks again for all help.

No, it won't get darker. The color compounds mainly come from the skins. It is hard to know without knowing the variety whether you got as much of the good stuff out of the skins as you could have or not.

It is hard to know without knowing the variety whether you got as much of the good stuff out of the skins as you could have or not.

Okay, thanks again. I reckon I probably did get all the good stuff out. By the time I transferred from primary there was a thick sludge at the bottom, and it collected quite suddenly - within 24 hours or so - and the SG went below 1,000.

Is there a grape checker anywhere? Will try Google again.

Did you press alot on the first pressing ? If so that is why you have such light 2nd run. Typically my 2nd runs are very dark in color and taste great.

Did you press alot on the first pressing ? If so that is why you have such light 2nd run. Typically my 2nd runs are very dark in color and taste great.

Reallly? Advice is not to press too much? I just went for it, assuming it would get me more liquid. Do you use Boskoop Glory, by chance?

Reallly? Advice is not to press too much? I just went for it, assuming it would get me more liquid. Do you use Boskoop Glory, by chance?

I only mention that if you want a good tasting of a 2nd run - Yes you will get more liquid for the 1st run,if you press hard, but you will sacrifice a good tasting 2nd run. I will tend to purchase a little bit extra grapes and it is alot easier from that point.

Do you use Boskoop Glory, by chance? = no , but similar

I don't think this WAS a second-run wine. I think this was the first run. Frijolero, can you clarify?

Paul
After reviewing the entire post - I believe it is Also first run - I got a bit confused on some if the wordage and assumed - well we all know what that means - LOL

Paul
After reviewing the entire post - I believe it is Also first run - I got a bit confused on some if the wordage and assumed - well we all know what that means - LOL

Woahh! What do you mean? What's first run / second run? I don't know difference. I am a novice, man. Help a dude out. What are you all talking about? These were grapes from the garden, so I only had what I had.

okay, looked it up. it's a first run. no second run. what does that mean? should i, basically, have pressed less initially, and kept grapes back for a second run? and then combined the two? is there really much point in that? when i squeezed the skins and bits after primary fermentation, there was little juice left. they were hard balls of grape skin inside the muslin.

No, you are fine. Doing a second run is not all that usual. In your case, it would not be a particularly good idea, since even the first run was so light.

There is a reason that certain grapes are used for winemaking, and others are not!

aren't those contradictory statements?

No, they are not. The statement "you are fine" was in response to your query "should i, basically, have pressed less initially, and kept grapes back for a second run?" The statement about the grapes was to explain why your first run was light in color. Of course, I think you should do what you can with what you have -- nothing wrong with that!

Latest posts

Back