Upside down tomatoes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryh86GT

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at upside down growing. Excuse the decorative buckets but they were on hand when I got the idea to try this. One is a plum tomato and the other is a cherry tomato. The rest of my tomato plants are planted right side up in my garden.:sm

Upside down tomato 1   6 22 10.jpg

Upside down tomato 2  6 22 10.jpg

As long as you have holes for drainage it should work.

My problem is sometimes I plant my seeds upside down and nothing grows. Drats!

They have an add for upside down tomatoes on the tv quite a bit here locally.
It's just a plant that is in a bucket and hangs down..
Back in the old days, tomato farming was what I did for a living.
The man I was employed by was listed as the fourth largest vegatable farmer in the Southeast for a year or so, then he started his down hill slide into bankruptcy.
Twice a year, on the farm I would worked on we would grow 1700 acres of tomatoes, not saying anything for corn, potatoes, cabbage, watermelons, cucumbers, pickles and bell pepper. All together it would total 3500 acres of produce.
And we did that twice a year.

you've got some lovely, showy, clematis in the background.

is it a big garden?

St Allie you have a good eye. I have about 60 clematis vines on the fence around the backyard. (Maybe more, some sections have become very jungle like). And an assortment of wisteria, trumpet vine, and rose of sharon. Plus some other stuff stuck in. And those are hops vines climbing up the string.

St Allie you have a good eye. I have about 60 clematis vines on the fence around the backyard. (Maybe more, some sections have become very jungle like). And an assortment of wisteria, trumpet vine, and rose of sharon. Plus some other stuff stuck in. And those are hops vines climbing up the string.

Larry, how high up is that string for your hops?

I was tinkng about making some upside down wine, but I am wondering how it would be possible to read the hydrometer!!

My good buddy and neighbor is trying the upside down tomatoes and also upside down strawberries. Hopefully I will have some pictures in a few weeks to show you.

still seems to me that the weight of the fruit just wouldnt work.

I will believe just about anything. But Phil has his going and I wil just need to see this to believe it. His standing Toms are looking great(soory Tom), but the upside down ones are struggling.

I want to hear and see more about his upside own growing.

Gonna take me a lot to convince me on this.

Where is a botanist when we need them.

Standing strong with the cage around me.......

Those Topsy Turvy Tomato plants are very cool. My neigbor across the street tried them this year and they are doing very well. I will do it next year.

I dont have access to their backyard but did see them the other day when I was across the street at the other neighbors house.

Try looking at them standing upright. LOL

I really have to see this to be a believer. I am the house plant king. I have gardening in my blood but am not one. Plants grow up.

This whole idea of upside down plants would sure mess up our buddy Jack for sure. He outta get the cow back right now before telemarketer calls him and tries to sell him one of these. LOL

Too many people have done this, so i know my dad must have done SOMETHING wrong, but a a couple years back my dad tried this upside down tomato thing. He didn't get strong plants because they tried growing up around the bottom of the container towards the light, and as the fruit come out the weight would pull them back down. The fruit were very small, and he thought it was because the plant was struggling against itself.

Could have just been him though!:?

Standing by you BIG, gonna have to show me on this, not taking anyones word on this without proof, preferably at least 80 proof!!!

Looking nice!. I have some of those Topsy Turvy plantes that the advertise on TV. Got them at Walmart fairly cheap and they seem to be working well. Just be sure to keep them watered.

Latest posts

Back