Upside down tomatoes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got trellis along the sides of my decking.. might try doing upside down gherkins this spring/summer and let them grow along the trellis too.. will make them a lot easier to pick...

re.. the tomatoes getting too heavy for the plants?.. perhaps the sweet100 hybrid cherry tomato would be a better choice?.. the fruit is a lot smaller so less weight to drag the plants down? just a thought..

Allie

I would think that any tomato plant would work. They are quite a bit tougher vine than most think.
The main reason tomato growers here in Florida stake the tomatoes is to allow them to be sprayed easier and also harvested longer.
Ground tomatoes are grown for machine harvesting, being only picked once, where as staked tomatoes will be picked up to five times if the market is high.
This year was terrible and some of the tomatoes on the local farms were only picked once. Even only being picked once they produced 45 to 50 thousand pounds per acre.
The bin boxes they pick in hold 1000 pounds.
A strawberry grower here has developed a system using triangular shaped styrofoam containers that stack on a center pipe. You can put them about 6 high and each container holds about eight plants
The strawberrys hang down from where they are planted.
All of his are grown with a drip irrigation system. He's doing tomatoes, and cukes the same way.

Soory, still have to convince me. Plants, by nature, are designed to grow upwards.

All you grape vine growers, are you going to grow them upside don?

Not saying I dont believe, but you have to SHOW me.

I'm still putting my money on the anti gravity, milk wine fueled time machine!!!!

:)

Our old rule of thumb was when you find a big tomatoe the size of a dime, it will be six weeks till it's red.

Latest posts

Back