Other Upfront red vinos additions...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Curious re feedback on upfront additions to red vinos fermentations....like opti-red, Noblesse etc, etc.

What are ya using, which reds, how much etc?

Cheers!

Here are my adds:
Always use Go Ferm and Fermaid O regiment during primary.
I always add a dose of either OptiRed or ColorPro. ColorPro is a newer addition for me that @winemaker81 turned me on to.

If the kits contains skins, then I sometimes add some Llalzyme EX-V, followed by a dose of FT Rouge tannin. However, if I use ColorPro, I skip the Llalzyme and only do the FT Rouge as the ColorPro also does what the Llalzyme does.

I have also been experimenting with adding extra untoasted oak into my primary as well to see how it adds tannin without having significant flavor impact, results are still TBD.

• Goferm
  • Fermaid
  • Opti-red
  • Tannin maybe
  • Dark and light oak powder or sometimes chips but not cubes

Curious which reds peeps may add raisins to during ferment?

How about which reds for zante currants?

Cheers!

Sometimes I add Untoasted French oak chips to get the tannin contribution during primary, without the toast flavoring so that I can add toasted oak in the aging step and then adjust it.

The last couple of years I've added Scottzyme ColorPro to both grapes and red kits with skin packs. The results are amazing.

For red grapes, I add shredded, medium toast oak, as the sacrificial tannin.
Any thoughts re ColorPro vs OptiRed?

Any thoughts re ColorPro vs OptiRed?
None, as I've not used OptiRed. In reading the descriptions:

https://shop.scottlab.com/scottzyme-color-pro-sctzmcp
https://shop.scottlab.com/opti-red-optired
some differences are clear. ColorPro is a maceration enzyme, which must be added at crush. It produces great color extraction in general, especially with Bordeaux and Rhone varietals, both grapes and kits with skin packs (packs as Cabernet Sauvignon). I got lesser results with Tempranillo, and much lesser with Grenache, although in this case we must consider that it is Grenache which is not a colorful grape.

OptiRed appears to be more of a "smoother", and can be used early and late.

An experiment would be to use ColorPro in one batch, OptiRed in an other, and ColorPro early / OptiRed late in a third, to see what the differences are.

None, as I've not used OptiRed. In reading the descriptions:

https://shop.scottlab.com/scottzyme-color-pro-sctzmcp
https://shop.scottlab.com/opti-red-optired
some differences are clear. ColorPro is a maceration enzyme, which must be added at crush. It produces great color extraction in general, especially with Bordeaux and Rhone varietals, both grapes and kits with skin packs (packs as Cabernet Sauvignon). I got lesser results with Tempranillo, and much lesser with Grenache, although in this case we must consider that it is Grenache which is not a colorful grape.

OptiRed appears to be more of a "smoother", and can be used early and late.

An experiment would be to use ColorPro in one batch, OptiRed in an other, and ColorPro early / OptiRed late in a third, to see what the differences are.
Curious on the dosage for a 6 gallon kit. The site has dosages for a large amount of grapes. If used in a 6 gallon kit with a few grape skin packs what amount would you recommend? Thanks for any advice.

Curious on the dosage for a 6 gallon kit. The site has dosages for a large amount of grapes. If used in a 6 gallon kit with a few grape skin packs what amount would you recommend? Thanks for any advice.
I first used Colorpro for grapes, and determined the dosage is 1-1/2 tsp prepared ColorPro (not the concentrate) for four 36 lb lugs (144 lbs total).

Fall of 2021 I made Forte kits, and used 1 tsp prepared Colorpro for each 23 liter kit (3 tsp total in triple batches). IIRC, that dosage is a bit high, but the prepared solution has a limited shelf life (1 year, IIRC), so I probably used up what I had, as I had no other use for it.

1/2 to 3/4 tsp Colorpro is probably sufficient for 23 liter kits with skinpacks.

It can be a PITA figuring this stuff out -- keep in mind that we, home winemakers who make trivial amounts of wine (on a commercial scale), are not the target audience for many of these products. The lab I purchased from makes a very good profit on Colorpro, especially with S&H costing as much as the product. But they've got us over a barrel, as there are no other options for some products.

I first used Colorpro for grapes, and determined the dosage is 1-1/2 tsp prepared ColorPro (not the concentrate) for four 36 lb lugs (144 lbs total).

Fall of 2021 I made Forte kits, and used 1 tsp prepared Colorpro for each 23 liter kit (3 tsp total in triple batches). IIRC, that dosage is a bit high, but the prepared solution has a limited shelf life (1 year, IIRC), so I probably used up what I had, as I had no other use for it.

1/2 to 3/4 tsp Colorpro is probably sufficient for 23 liter kits with skinpacks.

It can be a PITA figuring this stuff out -- keep in mind that we, home winemakers who make trivial amounts of wine (on a commercial scale), are not the target audience for many of these products. The lab I purchased from makes a very good profit on Colorpro, especially with S&H costing as much as the product. But they've got us over a barrel, as there are no other options for some products.
Thanks for the info. Appreciated

Latest posts

Back