Up Coming Classes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, below are two great classes from Penn State and Cornell. They are geared toward winery and vineyard owners, Wine Judges and the very serious home winemaker. I've taken the Wine Quality Improvement class the last two years and it is billed as the best Wine Sensory class in the country.
I did sign up for the Cornell Webinar. Take a look.

Wine Quality Improvement 2015 Workshop Registration Now Open!
When: Monday, January 19 – Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Where: 252 Erikson Food Science Bldg., University Park, PA 16802
Time: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Cost: $230 per person
The Wine Quality Improvement (WQI) workshop (previously called the “Wine Quality Initiative, Level 1” workshop) is a two-day training seminar that will discuss standard sensory evaluation with a focus on identification, prevention, and remediation of wine defects. The WQI seminar is a hands-on experience, and attendees will actively fine tune their sensory skills, while walking away with a wine defects kit that can be used to train others at the winery. In addition to the sensory threshold exercise, training on various wine defects, and an opportunity to blindly evaluate commercial wines, the 2015 program will feature a few new additions to the agenda including:
• A session to learn how to make wine sensory defect standards in the winery
• The opportunity for attendees to bring wines for tasting feedback
• A catered reception on Monday, January 19th featuring local brews and wines
The WQI program is geared towards educating cellar workers, winemakers, QA technicians, enologists, and tasting room personnel. Breakfast and lunch for both days are included in the registration price.

Cornell University “Stuck on You – Sulfur Spray Residues in the Vineyard and Winery” Webinar
Tuesday, December 16th, 2014
12:00 Noon Eastern (11:00 am Central)
7:00 pm Eastern (6:00 pm Central)

Chris Gerling, Gavin Sacks, and Jillian Jastrzembski of Cornell University are teaming up to bring you this webinar on sulfur residues. In addition to must nutritional deficiencies, yeast metabolism of elemental sulfur (S) residues represents a well-understood pathway for formation of hydrogen sulfide (H2S, “rotten egg” aroma) during fermentation. Although S sprays are widely used for controlling powdery mildew, wine grape growers are often encouraged to avoid S-sprays near harvest as a point of caution to decrease the potential risk of excess H2S formation. This webinar will review i) recommendations for maximum S residues pre-fermentation, ii) winery-appropriate methods for S-residue measurement, and ii) the effects of spray formulation/rate, spray cessation date, and post-harvest decisions (e.g. skin contact, clarification) on S-residues. Recent data indicating a correlation between S-spray residues and formation of H2S post-bottling will also be discussed.

If you have received this email from someone other than Chrislyn Particka, you need to register via the link below:
https://cornell.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_do2v1T8AyGuOXMF

Registering for one Northern Grapes Webinar will place you on the mailing list, and you will receive announcements and connection instruction for all further Northern Grapes Webinars.

Registration will close at 8 am (Eastern) on Friday, December 12th. Feel free to email Chrislyn Particka ([email protected]) with any questions, if you want to check your registration status, or if you’d like to be removed from the Northern Grapes Webinar mailing list.

I'll be registering for this class on Monday. Looks really interesting. Got the approval from the boss last night...Submitted my request for time off work this am.

Doug this is the first year I will be missing it but it is well worth it. You'll walk away with a wine kit filled with bottles of wine faults that cost about $150. The best part is it's held right above the Creamery and you get a small food voucher. Best ice cream ever.

Doug if you ever met Sam from Lakeview Wine Cellars, he'll be there. Nittany Inn is the place to stay and Otto's is where everyone goes out to eat.

Doug if you ever met Sam from Lakeview Wine Cellars, he'll be there. Nittany Inn is the place to stay and Otto's is where everyone goes out to eat.

I stayed there many years ago when my employer purchased a small bank up there. I beleive we are staying at the Ramada....Not positive...

Back