Unscheduled Cold Stabilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, the noreaster hit us Friday and knocked out power to the house at 5pm.

The power is still out. The area I live is like a disaster area.

They say that we will not have power restored until Wednesday.

The problem is this... We are expected to get yet another noreaster on Wednesday.

Without power, I have no heat, no water (we have a well), no WIFI or TV (ok, those two are not so important).

I don't see any mention there of no wine so you should be able to weather this storm. :dg:dg:dg;);)

We were lucky, but I know several people who were out from Friday morning to Sunday morning. We still have people out in our county and a handful of schools are closed due to lack of power.

I live in NOVA and we were without power for 29 hours. We have city water so that kept working. And we have a gas stove so we could cook and heat up water on the stove for bathing. House got down to 51 degrees. Perfect celler temp, if it could keep the cold just there. Not a good bedroom temperature!

Sorry to hear you are still without power. That has to suck. And no wifi??!? My son was going through serious withdrawals after 24 hours :)

Feel for you, John. About 10 years ago we had a ice storm that took down most of the power poles around here. One would come down and take miles of posts with it. We went for about a month without good power. The town would get a generator and it would blow up. Back to no power or small generators. Bought a 5000 watt gen. Would run the freezer for a while, most of the stuff in the refrigerator went outside, a few lights, the tv. Have electric heat, not enough power for that, but also have a wood stove. Kept it fairly warm for us. Found out the little gen. would give us a tank of hot water in less than 1 1/2 hours. That was a red letter day. We had city water, when the big gen. went out, they put a tractor generator on the well. Fed whoever needed food at the fire barn. Had a big generator there. The power company did a wonderful job of getting power back. Just a huge job with no poles to work from. They shipped new ones in and set them. Had crews from all over the country helping. Good luck with your ordeal. Arne.

At least the wind isn't supposed to be quite as strong with this one (snowfall is to be heavier). 10 day forecast shows another one Sunday night into Monday down here.

Hang in there, ya Yankees! I heard from a friend near Boston, lost power, backup generator failed and he had a pumper style septic system, so... Yeah. That's not good. LOL, so it could be worse, right?

I am an inclined plane wrapped helically around a central axis!

Snow.. 8 to 12 inches predicted for Wednesday.
Power to be restored midnight on Thursday.

Nothing like being trapped in an icebox!

Gonna grab my gear and camp out at my brothers house.

Update: Ran to the grocery store. What a friggin nightmare!

I needed a Sherpa guide to get from where I parked to the store.

I did have a "Make Lemonade" Thought.

This is not a power outage, but an unscheduled cold stabilization of the wine in the winery.

LOL

OK, so now we are on our 6th day of not having power.

Last night, we got hammered with about 24 inches of snow. It was that fast, heavy wet stuff that snow blowers hate. Last night, when outside, you could hear that spine tingling "CRACK" as tree after tree came down due to the snow's weight.

If you look at the numbers of customers without power this morning (on the JCPL web sit) we are right back where we were on Friday night.

They are saying that customers going the longest without power will have priority. This is kind of a funny statement as there are NO utility trucks to be seen. I guess I will be a priority once they get around to it... LOL /sob

There are some power lines down right in front of my property since Friday. I guess I did get some level of service. Someone had come by to place 3 cones in front of it. As of this morning, the branches and wires have gone unchanged.

I am trying my best to keep a positive outlook on this. It get very tiresome living without heat, light, or water for 6 friggin days!!!!!

Pray for me. Seriously, pray!

Sincerely (from the 18 century)...
johnT.

PS.

Here is a photo taken a couple of days ago. We must be a priority because they place 3 cones and not just one!

Also,

A pic of my car. This was BEFORE the heavy stuff hit yesterday!

Please tell me that June is just 2.5 month one.jpg thumbnail.jpg away!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back