unripe grapes turning into raisins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susieqz

Reaction score
in its forth year, my unk. arbor grape started about 40 bunches of red grapes. i removed half, as this seemed too much.
i only harvested 6 bunches.

all the rest shriveled up before ripening.

any ideas how to prevent this, this year?

did you use any type of spray program for diseases? suggest visiting you local farm agent for recommended spay chemicals or any garden shop might help as well.

thanks, sal.
iif chemicals must be used, i'll use them.

i do wish i knew what happebed tho,
i noticed wasps on the grapes n wondered id they sucked out the juices or if it was disease.

Last edited:
Wasps are a real pita, especially when it is a warm fall. I have fought them for years, and try to eliminate all nests, but seems you always miss some. I found one, too late for my grapes, right under mu nose, but they didn't get a chance for a repeat performance! I have had bunches dry up on frontenac before, and couldn't come to a conclusion of what caused it. The frontenac ripens early enough, that wasps have never been an issue.....now birds in them are a different story! Good luck!

Yes, all types of wasps, even mud daubbers! What I have trouble with is they will bite the fruit and feed a bit on it, then go and do the same to another berry, and another.....then the flies move in and finish the job. Now there is a difference between a sucked out shell and a raisened berry! My frontenac that had raisened berrys, I believe the plant quit nourishing the bunch, but I have no idea why!

Latest posts

Back