Unknown 25 year old vine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klutz

Reaction score
Is there anyone here who can see on a vine what kind of grape it carries. I have two photos uploaded. I live in B.C. Canada, so maybe that's why it doesn't taste super sweet. When the grapes are ripe, they become a lighter greenish yellowish. There are some seeds inside. I don't even know if it actually is a wine grape.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• DSC03293.JPG
    DSC03293.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC03292.JPG
    DSC03292.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 36
The fact that it has seeds is suggestive of being a wine grape as table grapes typically dont have any seeds.

The fact that it has seeds is suggestive of being a wine grape as table grapes typically dont have any seeds.

While there are some mass produced commercial varieties of "seedless" table grapes, saying that table grapes "typically" don't have seeds is misleading. I grow three different types of table grapes, and they all have seeds. Thus having "seeds" is not in any way a defining characteristic that would indicate they are not table grapes.

While there are some mass produced commercial varieties of "seedless" table grapes, saying that table grapes "typically" don't have seeds is misleading. I grow three different types of table grapes, and they all have seeds. Thus having "seeds" is not in any way a defining characteristic that would indicate they are not table grapes.
Well I'm staying that a book I read said that so I didn't know but I always thought most don't but exception is my criolla which is a seeded table and wine grape

Brix testing as wine grapes usually have higher brix. Table is typically max of 18. And I can quote a site stating that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/winefolly.com/tutorial/table-grapes-vs-wine-grapes/

Thank you for that link. I will check that one out. Hopefully they will tell me how to check the brix. I only know how to check specific gravity, or is that the same?

Thank you for that link. I will check that one out. Hopefully they will tell me how to check the brix. I only know how to check specific gravity, or is that the same?
Buy a refractometer it's what pretty much all of us use

Yeah- if you’ve got grapes then a refractometer is great. Only needs a couple drops to get a reading. You could test 10 different clusters and only sacrifice 10 grapes for testing.
I bought one recommended by one of the moderators, @ibglowin. From amazon. And only like $18 I think.

Yeah- if you’ve got grapes then a refractometer is great. Only needs a couple drops to get a reading. You could test 10 different clusters and only sacrifice 10 grapes for testing.
I bought one recommended by one of the moderators, @ibglowin. From amazon. And only like $18 I think.
Yeah, I was impatient and paid too much to my local store but having my refractometer saved a lot of grapes.

Well I'm staying that a book I read said that

What is the book title and Author?

There are a lot of seedless table grapes specifically selected for and developed for the (mostly American) mass market. There are even seedless watermelons. But having seeds does not in any way guarantee a wine grape. But if it is seedless, it is probably a table grape -- a subtle but important difference lacking mutual congruence.

Last edited:
Brix testing as wine grapes usually have higher brix. Table is typically max of 18.

This is accurate. But only in a relative sense. That is, when a table and wine grape are grown in the same location. But a wine grape grown in the wrong place, may also never reach beyond 18 Brix. So brix alone is not an independent, absolute measure. Again, it is relative.

Latest posts

Back