Universal stoppers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always used drilled rubber stoppers on my carboys. I've now been seeing a different style. They look like a cup and are called "Universal". Are these any better?

I have always used drilled rubber stoppers on my carboys. I've now been seeing a different style. They look like a cup and are called "Universal". Are these any better?
They don't seem to seal as well. It might just be my imagination, or my strong distaste for change, but a standard 3 piece air lock with not bite like they do in a bung. You can often slide it easily when seated.

In some instances I think they are better. Flip them over and they fit a wine bottle. I've found they seat securely.

I guess it's kind of the standard with 'universal' things. They will 'work' in a lot of cases, but to be universal you often lose some precision for certain aspects.

Handy to have, but unless it is a weird situation like a wine bottle, which I don't often use, it is the last to be used.

I have only ever used the Universal style Stoppers. I have several sizes of carboys and even within sizes the size of the hole at the top seems to vary a bit. WIth the universal, I just grab one and it works. I don't have to find the exact one that fits that carboy. They work just fine for me.

I have only ever used the Universal style Stoppers. I have several sizes of carboys and even within sizes the size of the hole at the top seems to vary a bit. WIth the universal, I just grab one and it works. I don't have to find the exact one that fits that carboy. They work just fine for me.
I may pick up a few and give them a try

Latest posts

Back