Unexpected Variations in Cork Seating Depth

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than SOP for sani and handling, your setup or others will vary. *Dry* sani corks is a biggy, and degassing via filler or transfers without O2 introduction for wines, meads not so much a matter of issue unless veggies involved.

The attached image is my bottling and age racking, and compressed storage area. Tight, all things pack well, and then unpack quickly, to a near by space as well for use on that table. Having a shower nearby helps, its my sani bottle washing space, and carboy cleaning space (toilet as well).

Just finished Spring time bottling of 13 aged vessels (I use only fermonster now) ~350 bottles of 750s and 375 delgatos of meads, wines, and some-where-in between.

The delgatos are used for leftovers, the 'dreg bottles', for gifting, bartering, trading, and freebees to nice people I meet that have something in return to offer. Labor of love, labor nevertheless for sure.

The differences between the 750s (FLT glass 750 eco line clear) that I use for whites and meads (to showcase colors), and the punted green bottles for reds is slight if at all. quarter spin on depth nut. For delgatos, a bit more, 1-2 360 deg spins. I don't monkey around with the bottle plate tension.

I use nomacorc 900 green series only, 1.5". Hope this helps.
:)
Thanks for the detailed explanation and nice work space. I'm going back to my old generic corks that I've used for almost 30 yrs. Never had the seating variation problem until I switched to Nomacorc. I marked the change on the tension plate so I can return to original setting if needed.
Will post results when I bottle later this week.
Thanks again for thoughts.

Picked up a 100 ct bag of my old corks Wednesday b/4 going on a short trip.
This morningI tried a Normacorc on an empty bottle as control and it popped all the way into the bottle. I then corked the same bottle with one of the new "old" variety and it was perfect!

Bottled 22 bottles of 2022 muscadine Piquette and each and every one of the corks seated perfectly.
I have no idea what is causing the difference but once again - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! So as much as I'd like to use the Nomacorc due to sustainability, I'm going back to my originals. I know many members who use the Nomacorc with great success and I'm behind you 100%
For those who have been following this thread, I apologized for not coming up with an answer other than just plain BAD JUJU!!!!!!
Thanks for all the help and insight.

Paw

Indeed! And who am I to argue. If the corker is happy, I'm tickled to death!!:db

BTW, just managed to remove the cork from inside the bottle - yeah, don't like to waste resources. The Grand Canyon was created when my 3rd great grandfather dropped a nickel down a prairie dog hole. 🤣

I finally got around to bottling. 2 corkers and the same results consistently. I hate to say it but it seems your corker is the issue, not noma corks.

PXL_20230616_193610884.jpg
Both Portuguese, but one is slightly smaller.
Corked in order from right to left. First 9 on the burgundy, last 6 on lighter red.

Minor variation on the first 2 as I adjusted, but nothing out if the usual.

30 more to go. If anything changes I will update.
PXL_20230616_201214894.jpg

Well, I don't care what you say, still think it's bad JUJU🤣

Seriously, really appreciate you taking time to run the tests. I honestly have no idea what's going on. My old corker will consistently set the "garden variety" corks that I've always used but will set nomas too deep.

FWIW I have bottled another 75 bottles since my last post all with the old corks and all seat at the same depth so I'll just continue to use them and mark this one up as a UAP or whatever strange occurrences are called in the wine world!!
I would be very interested in hearing about any future deviation you may experience.

Thanks again.

Well, I don't care what you say, still think it's bad JUJU🤣

Seriously, really appreciate you taking time to run the tests. I honestly have no idea what's going on. My old corker will consistently set the "garden variety" corks that I've always used but will set nomas too deep.

FWIW I have bottled another 75 bottles since my last post all with the old corks and all seat at the same depth so I'll just continue to use them and mark this one up as a UAP or whatever strange occurrences are called in the wine world!!
I would be very interested in hearing about any future deviation you may experience.

Thanks again.
I will certainly post if I note anything hinky.

The bag I bought was a 60 lot. It was tied in a knot with 60 written on it and a price sticker. I figured they were broken out from a bulk order so all were wet with sanitizer.

Thanks Vinny, would be interested if you encounter.
BTW, you can have your smoke back. We've enjoyed just about all of it we can stand!🤣
Oh, that's not me. We've been raining for about a week.

Likely still Quebec..

To be honest, we have never really thought the french fit in. They are always sharing things no one is interested in. Often it is just opinion, but times like this, everyone suffers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back