Undrinkable Sauv Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novalou

Reaction score
I racked my 2013 Chilean Sauv Blanc last night. I had to taste it, but it was horrible. Not sure how to describe it, I just about gagged on it as soon as it hit my tounge.
It is crystal clear, TA is at 0.6 and FG is 0.990.

Could my fining agent contributed to the foul taste? I used chitosan. First time using it. Normally I've used Super-older without any issues.

novalou said:
Could my fining agent contributed to the foul taste? I used chitosan. First time using it. Normally I've used Super-older without any issues.

Auto correct..... Super-Kleer is what I've used before.

I would t think the clearing agent would have anything to do with the taste. Sauv blanc really doesn't come into its own til bout a year. Does it smell bad? If it smells ok put some in a glass and add a tiny amount if sugar and see how that tastes.

Julie said:
I would t think the clearing agent would have anything to do with the taste. Sauv blanc really doesn't come into its own til bout a year. Does it smell bad? If it smells ok put some in a glass and add a tiny amount if sugar and see how that tastes.

The smell wasn't bad, not anything great either. I'll let if sit for a few months and let it be.

The Sauv Blanc I made last year was already drinkable young....

SuperKleer is Kieselsol and Chitosan. So if the chitosan was adding a bad taste, it should have happened with the SuperKleer too. Of course, it could have been a bad batch of chitosan. But it could also have been a bad batch of something else, too.

What did you make the SB from last year?

Steve

cpfan said:
SuperKleer is Kieselsol and Chitosan. So if the chitosan was adding a bad taste, it should have happened with the SuperKleer too. Of course, it could have been a bad batch of chitosan. But it could also have been a bad batch of something else, too.

What did you make the SB from last year?

Steve

Both batches were Chilean juice, but different companies packaged the juice.

The juice tasted fine from what I remember. I guess time will tell if it improves....

I had a batch of Sauv Blanc I made a few years ago, thought it tasted awful but never got around to emptying them and cleaning out the bottles, so they hung out on the rack for a year. I'm glad I never did because they really came around, the funky flavor it had more or less disappeared. I say give it more time.

I too had one that I never liked. I have to say when it hit 2 years I had friends asking for it.When it hit 3 I drank it all!

Sorry for hacking this thread but i have question :ot:i have a Sauv Blanc in primary fermemtation stage. There is a Sauv Blanc that i like with a slight grape flavor can i add some grape juice at the clearing stage to get this taste?

I did a Chilean SB this year, too. My first SB. Bottled it a few weeks ago. It definately had a sharp taste up front, which I attributed to being young. My inclination was to put it on the rack and have a bottle every few months for comparison. Thanks for the timeframe info, everyone. I think it will be coming around for Fall 2014.

Let 'er sit!

dangerdave said:
I did a Chilean SB this year, too. My first SB. Bottled it a few weeks ago. It definately had a sharp taste up front, which I attributed to being young. My inclination was to put it on the rack and have a bottle every few months for comparison. Thanks for the timeframe info, everyone. I think it will be coming around for Fall 2014. Let 'er sit!

Update:

I tasted tonight. MUCH better than when I started this thread. Still has a funky smell. I might try rack splashing and adding some sulfite, see if that clears it up. Might be a keeper after all!

It appears that the Chilean Cab Sauv has been giving off a funky smell for most everyone that has made it from fresh grapes and juice buckets; I've seen literally dozens of posts from new and experienced wine makers alike on various forums.
For the most part, this issue was more pronounced in wine made from fresh grapes, and overall, splash racking didn't resolve the issue, adding yeast nutrients during fermentation didn't appear to help.Redulees was used with moderate success, in the more severe cases, Reduless was used twice, or stronger copper solutions were used.
From the posts that I've read, this seems to be a reaccuring problem with Chilean Cab Sauv and Malbec.
This may keep numerous people from purchasing and making Chilean wines, I don't think that I'll be making them anymore.

I've had issue with Chilean Whites from a particular place. Everyone of them had an off smell and taste. I thought it was just something I was doing until another winemaker brought over a bottle questioning what could be done with it. I told him where he purchased the juice without even knowing. At least I knew it wasn't just me.

This year I purchased the Chilean white from a different distributor with no issues thus far.

You may want to do some sweetening trials. Just a touch of sugar may help bring out the fruit flavors and balance the taste. Not sweet - even imperceptible sugar can lift the other flavors.

Sorry for hacking this thread but i have question :ot:i have a Sauv Blanc in primary fermemtation stage. There is a Sauv Blanc that i like with a slight grape flavor can i add some grape juice at the clearing stage to get this taste?
I made a Sauv Blanc and added a large container of welch's grape juice no sugar added when I bottled it turned out great one of my favs

Latest posts

Back