Under Stairs Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey_Lion

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all! I’d like to make a small wine room in my house, and since I don’t have a basement, this space under the stairs is probably my best bet. The first bit is a closet, and then I have access to the rest of it. You can see it in the pictures below. The area you can see under the stairs landing is probably about 4’ high. The first part with the shelf I have there is able to be stood under.

It’s a pretty tight space, but I think it would work. Most of the year it would be below 70, and then during the summer I might need to help it out with a little AC.

I asked my wife if she would mind if I took out the coat closet to expand the room and I was surprised that she was actually fine with it. Nevertheless, I’d like to avoid that because I’m worried that removing a coat closest would effect my resale value.

I’m sort of curious where to start here. As you can see, I have some drain pipes in the space as well as a cable splitter. Where would you start if this was your space?

View media item 4733View media item 4734View media item 4735View media item 4737View media item 4736

Are you planning to sell within say five years? If not I wouldnt worry about it too much. Worst case scenario when selling would be "honey look! a secret wine cave!"

Are you planning to sell within say five years? If not I wouldnt worry about it too much. Worst case scenario when selling would be "honey look! a secret wine cave!"
I love it! I am leaning towards taking that wall out.

Any thoughts on dealing with the drain lines and the cable/phone stuff? Is that an issue?

So the closet opens into the 4ft crawl space? Not sure how its laid out...Or is the closet separate from the crawl space area?

Maybe I dont understand correctly so I'll say this... if you have a ton of closet space and it wouldnt affect you by removing this small closet then go for it. If closet space is lacking in your house then Id be more cautious. My first house was an old historic home of only 1000 sqft and the biggest thing my wife complained about was closet space. Our second house I bought her a 3,000 sqft closet.

Back