unconventional country wine style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a sweet antique cast iron wine press from napa valley basket and bottom of press plate had stainless , they auctioned them off a few years back when they finally went modern, had it bout six years or so, blew the cast iron stainless clad press plate in half just as i started to press my must, so i got bout 30 gallon of must in carboys, only way i could think to save my one of these days future wine, jeeze, so i'll order a new stainless steel one tomorrow,
stuff happens, ,,,man my back has got old on me,,, lol
Dawg

I have been looking at the Press that Spiedel makes and that is on sale at More Wine store.....Just about decided to buy...Wondering what size to buy, 20 L or 40 L and whether to get stainless steel or the painted one.....Can you help?

I have been looking at the Press that Spiedel makes and that is on sale at More Wine store.....Just about decided to buy...Wondering what size to buy, 20 L or 40 L and whether to get stainless steel or the painted one.....Can you help?

size depends on how much you plan on crafting, stainless only way to go, i forget the brand that i ordered this morning, the basket, press plate, the screw, everything that touches the wine is stainless, but i got a much smaller then you're talking about, my body don't tend to let me do a bunch no more, but all's good every day above ground is a great day, last night i broke my cast iron 1880 press plate in half, then went in to my wine room today to check everything went to wash my hands and my faucet broke,, good lord ,, i just grinned and went on to enjoy my day, my sink is a commercial 3 basin sink with drain ends on both ends, with stainless backsplash, my only not so bright spots was when i pushed the pay for a press then a pay for commercial faucet,,, hehe, but if you are running full tilt then usually bigger works,, you can always put less in, but you cant put in more than what it holds, if my body could handle it , i'd have as big a press as i had room for, hehe even if i had to cut a wall out,,,
Dawg

Well I have room for a large one but I don’t really do that much wine at a time. I only have about 1000 bottles right now and making some more. I think the 20 L one will be the right one for me. Sounds like you are having my kind of luck today.

Well I have room for a large one but I don’t really do that much wine at a time. I only have about 1000 bottles right now and making some more. I think the 20 L one will be the right one for me. Sounds like you are having my kind of luck today.

YEP them bigger nes can become full time projects, i guess to each their own, but i go with as much stainless and italian glass carboys as i can use, cleaning and sanitizing is a snap. i use a 3 basin commercial sink, a 8 foot food prep table, when i was doing retail commercial construction, (doing stores in malls) so that sink was still in crate was given to me, the prep table i got from a HVAC place for $75, so i guess i'm lucky but yep the other night then the next morning i didn't feel so lucky but even at both them moments i knew i was blessed, when you get your press let me know how it is, do you use a vacuum set up for racking and bottling?, i use vacuumpumpman set up with my back i'd not be able to do as much as i do, until here in the last couple years i have picked 90% of my own fruits and berries, but here lately i've been forced to start buying from homewinery.com, there concentrates are really good, but using 1 jug fr a 5 gallon carboy is a little weak, i order 3 to make 2-6's, or if you call them you can get a jug and a extra pint for a six, but you half t call in your order to get pints, all my country wines i always use gallon, half gallon and fifths for myextra musts,, i make enough to airlock every thing then when i rack i use from smaller jugs to top off with, i never use other wines/juices/water to tp off with , i use the same wine i am making all the way thru, but that is my personal peev ,,,
Dawg

@hounddawg
Got any kids around there? You could probably pay them what you pay for the concentrates and they would jump at the chance to pick the berries for you. Just a thought. Arne.

I got the 20L Speidel end of last season - best thing since sliced bread. Takes hours off of hand cranking the old barrel press.

@hounddawg
Got any kids around there? You could probably pay them what you pay for the concentrates and they would jump at the chance to pick the berries for you. Just a thought. Arne.

i don't know a single young person that aint addicted to computer games,, most can't change a flat, half don't drive and live in their mom's an dad's,,, i mean even them in their early to mid 30's,i have nowhere close to get supplies of any kind, but i do value the suggestion,,
Dawg

I make mainly fruit wines, kits and real southern muscadines, both red and white. Muscadines are my favorite wines, good flavor and last as long as grape wines. I live in Alabama and the grapes here where I live are not much. So therefore I have a friend that has about 800 muscadine vines and he keeps me well stocked.

The new wine press will come in very handy wine the muscadines comes in in August and September. Looking forward to that............

The new wine press will come in very handy wine the muscadines comes in in August and September. Looking forward to that............
Sounds similar to what I've done except my grapes are all cold hardy hybrids - Marquette, Frontenac Noir, Gris and Blanc along with Petite Pearl. Have about one hundred vines. Just started 2nd pruning yesterday and bud break won't be until about the middle of May here

Latest posts

Back