unconventional country wine style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i grew up in the foothills of the ozarks in northeast arkansas, gravel roads no traffic lights for close to 20 miles, 50 miles to a mall, i learnt from the old timers, no equipment, no store bought chemicals, i joined here to learn to supplement certain processes with modern methods . to me the art of true country wines, is to use just enough modern methods to refine and keep must to a reliable repeatable must, so when i make my wines i splice the old world with the modern methods , i purposely do not get technical, i try to stay as pure as possible yet be able to make repeatable flavors and know my ABV & PH, as well as SG, yet keep a true country taste, i am in aw of yawls knowledge of processes, chemistry, and equations, and i respect that, but not my style, i am honored by the help and tips i receive from yawls wealth of knowledge,, but i go as far for old styles by still using modern tools like hydrometers , ph meters, ect, i love reading yawls post and discussions, yet i retain a very old and simple process but with upgrades that allow repeatable ABV.s,, PH's, and so on, instead of tannings i use tried and true crab apples for my acid and tanning bite,i was in construction in my younger day, i dealt with billionaire developers,, i could look at commercial or residential prints for one hour meet with developers and buy every material with no note or list at all and stack my materials so nothing had to be moved on my job sites, i presificaly choose country wines for the lack of order and the gift of the art of it, by feel and intowishion of making something that others love ,wines is my therapy and peace of mind. i look for zero profits, but the love of the product, i make my country wines but i always look outside the bottle thought process,.. simple by choice and very proud of that fact,the art, the feel, that is the craft of old,,,,
Dawg

Last edited:
I admire your approach
,wines is my therapy and peace of mind. i look for zero profits, but the love of the product, i make my country wines but i always look outside the bottle thought process,.. simple by choice and very proud of that fact,the art, the feel, that is the craft of old,,,,
Am unlucky in that I didn’t help great grandpa make dandelion wine and mom did more canning of beans and making jelly than making wine. You have the skills which come from practicing for 500 years.

Early in the career I used to describe the job as figuring out what the old timers, who could feel if it was right, , and who were 5 years from retirement knew , , , , so that a programmable logic controller could take over their job. , , , The pH meters are for the folks who have no artistic ability, , , , ex a chef (or my wife, , shhh, , she’s asleep ) who thinks cooking is simply reheating something produced in a factory.

Last edited:
No one in my family made wine or preserves. My Mom was an excellent cook, and taught us early in life how to craft foods. I have extended that knowledge into food preservation (canning, drying and smoking). My family always appreciated good wine with meals.

We went to Italy a couple years ago. By chance, we visited the Monte Chiarry winery without an appointment. The estate owner and his wife gave us a tour and a tasting that lasted several hours. He patiently explained the ways his family made wine in the old days to his methods today. It was a revelation to me. We tasted estate made olive oil, bread and cheese; in addition to all the wines of many vintage years (vertical tastings). He told us the weather of the years each wine was made. Incredible! Thank you Moreno & Catharina.

When we came home, I began my journey into wine making. I landed here through chance, but I love this community. I try to up my game every 6 months with the season's grapes or fruit. You folks have helped to smooth the way for me.

I admire your approach

Am unlucky in that I didn’t help great grandpa make dandelion wine and mom did more canning of beans and making jelly than making wine. You have the skills which come from practicing for 500 years.

Early in the career I used to describe the job as figuring out what the old timers, who could feel if it was right, , and who were 5 years from retirement knew , , , , so that a programmable logic controller could take over their job. , , , The pH meters are for the folks who have no artistic ability, , , , ex a chef (or my wife, , shhh, , she’s asleep ) who thinks cooking is simply reheating something produced in a factory.
thank you, funny you should see my canning set up as well,
Dawg

No one in my family made wine or preserves. My Mom was an excellent cook, and taught us early in life how to craft foods. I have extended that knowledge into food preservation (canning, drying and smoking). My family always appreciated good wine with meals.

We went to Italy a couple years ago. By chance, we visited the Monte Chiarry winery without an appointment. The estate owner and his wife gave us a tour and a tasting that lasted several hours. He patiently explained the ways his family made wine in the old days to his methods today. It was a revelation to me. We tasted estate made olive oil, bread and cheese; in addition to all the wines of many vintage years (vertical tastings). He told us the weather of the years each wine was made. Incredible! Thank you Moreno & Catharina.

When we came home, I began my journey into wine making. I landed here through chance, but I love this community. I try to up my game every 6 months with the season's grapes or fruit. You folks have helped to smooth the way for me.
yes WMT has taught so much, i've always hidden my cooking, men in my younger days weren't supposed to learn them things, mom and dad both seen to my cooking, canning, butchering, you pretty much name it, smoking, salt curing, i can go into the woods and bring out eatables,
and poison, the lord put everything you'd need out there, thank you for your kind words
Dawg

I admire your approach

lol. the world of the microwave and can opener, i and stil[ slow simmer my sweet tea instead of flash boiling, still take 2 to 3 days to cook my chili and brown beans, 2 days for pot roast, people think me odd but when i cookout they all show up. mom's 77 dads 87, mom says both dad and i were born 150 years to late, horses, mules, wagons, chickens, garden, farm fresh beef, pork, goat, SLOW AND CALM, ,,, thank you for your kind words, WMT has taught me to adapt the old with the new, learn as long as one lives,
Dawg

You sound like my kind of man....I make country wines myself. I am self taught and enjoyed your post......
the so so's make the good even better, a sense of accomplishment,,, i've learnt most all things from my parents, but being raised pentecostal, i learned wine from a elder gentleman in his late 80's me in my teens, but i was taught only on muscadines and elderberries, some dandelions and so forth, but when i got my tracheostomy i lost most smell and taste not all but enough, that's when this form came to my attention, this forum has given me back some of the finer mynucha , that feeling, that instink, the old timers at some point were self taught, either you're not inclined to be one or you are, you and i are among them, as all these members are the same following vinters from hundreds to thousands of years ago, all keeping the faith to carry on to those that are their way from childhood to tomorrow's venters so this outlasts all of us,,,we are spects in time and space,,,,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back