ummmm ....ya....HELP!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepingchick

**Domestic Goddess**
Reaction score
i wanna bottle the cranberry tomorrow, but ive kept no notes , and no know time frames (i know i know ..corner AGAIN)

SO i dipped some out for a taste this afty, its got a great flavor, but is a bit alcohol tasting, what can i do?? i was THINKING of grabbin a few cans of cran juice concentrate and tossing it in but i wanna make sure thatll do!

its a 6 gallon batch , from fresh cran last fall.
great flavor but that kick after you swallow will kill ya! .ok not kill ya but itll knock ya on ur but for sure LOL!

Nikki, I just bottled my Cranberry this week. I bended most of it with Niagara (25/75) which is really good. The Cranberry by itself it a bit tart. When I was bottling I also mixed a bit with some washington riesling I was drinking and that was awesome. I am thinking this might go real good with some tonic water. I only ended up with about 15 bottles of just Cranberry and I am saving most of that to blend with an ice wine I am making.

Don't be in such a hurry to bottle......I know it's exciting but hang on.

No notes is ok as long as you can give us some idea of time frames. ABOUT when did you pitch the yeast...ABOUT how long was it in before you racked. How many times has it been racked.

I'd also consider racking off a half gallon and adding sweetener to that a little at a time until you get the flavor you like...then just multiply that out by 5.5 times and add it to the rest of the stuff.

You might want to try getting a cheep bottle of really dry wine, possibly Chardonnay or Pinot and just mix a little in a glass to try.
Coincidently that's what I've been doing this afternoon

Rod

Last edited:
G.M. I agree with your idea of sweetening except I wouldn't put the same ratio in the carboy. I would cut it back just a bit as the wine will mellow with age and could end up too sweet. Another thing Nikki could do is sweeten it a bit and bottle some and then add some more simple syrup and bottle that. Nikki just remember to keep notes and mark the bottles as to which one you sweetened the most and this will keep your nose out of the corner. I had mine in the carboys for nine months.

Good ideas above, just make sure you have added both sulfites and sorbate to prevent refermentation!!!!!!!!!! I hope you can remember if you have done that!

Good ideas above, just make sure you have added both sulfites and sorbate to prevent refermentation!!!!!!!!!! I hope you can remember if you have done that!

Wade good catch especially for (oops never mind) kicking myself in the #@$ for not mentioning that.:w Dan is joining Nikki in the corner.

YAY ive got company in the corner LOL

ok, time frames...
begining november, chopped and crushes TONS of freaking fruit by hand ......determinded i needed a food processor..... set that up with sugars and campden,tannin, and yeast nurtirent and ?? (forgot) over night...
next day pitched yeast....
week or so later i racked
racked end of december
racked end of feb

its real clear now
should i leave it???

so the concensius is NO concentrate, just a simple syrup to taste?

how much longer should i leave it in the carboy?? man that means i gotta buy 2 dang carboys this week!!!

I bottled up some of mine from the fall about a month ago with just a simple syrup of sugar and water. I saved a gallon to bulk age so we'll see how that turns out. The stuff that I made has a bite the very first swallow, but then the palate must get used to it and it is awesome from there on. I've been told by those that I've shared a bottle with that I must definitely make more of that next year. I've found though with it that people either really like it, or absolutely hate it. There was not an in-between with my batch. I like it though, and that is all that matters right?? :dg

so , how long do i leave it in the carboy, and do i rack it again or leave it alone after the sugar syrup?

so , how long do i leave it in the carboy, and do i rack it again or leave it alone after the sugar syrup?

After you stablize it and add the determined amount of simple syrup you will want to let it sit at least another three weeks to clear up again and to ensure a secong fermentation does not start. I then rack it one more time let it set a few days to a week to ensure everything fell and then bottle.

Aye Aye Captain's!! can and will do , i thank you so much everyone i cant wait to bottle, but i WILL wait LOL!!!

oh i have 3 right now, im wanting 2 more..if i could afford more i would get em. but my 5G is in use, ( i was mislead and hubby informed me last ngiht my cran is in the 5G carboy not a 6 LOL) and ive got 2 6s ....so i need a 3 for the batch im doing , and hubby wants to do beer so he needs another 5 .... i need to lable the bugge as its obvious i just grab n go LOL!

and yes , if it starts fermenting again, and i happen to bottle , ill have red wine all over my walls and floor, as well as glass all over as well !! no good can come from that!! so i will take SGs when i add sugar and check it periodicly untill i botle and make sure it has no change before i do so!!

yall rock BTW ...just rock!

Latest posts

Back