UC Davis Online Winemaking Certificate Program

Discussion in 'Wine Making from Grapes' started by BI81, Dec 10, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Dec 10, 2019 #1

BI81

BI81

BI81

Hi All, I'm currently taking the intro course for the UC Davis online winemaking program and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the program and if you'd be willing to share your thoughts/experiences...was it worth the cost, did you learn anything that you didn't already gather from other resources, etc.

The intro course is extremely basic, as is expected for an introductory level course, but it's tough to determine if the remaining curriculum will be more in depth, or if it will be on par with the intro. The program is fairly expensive ($8,800 for the 5 course certificate program), however if it's going to make me a better winemaker I'm ok with the cost.

2. Dec 11, 2019 #2

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

Just looked through the curriculum and it looks pretty involved. I wish I had the energy to take it. Good Luck!

3. Dec 11, 2019 #3

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've looked into it as well. Undoubtedly great information and will make any novice a better winemaker. The tuition and the cost of the books was what scared me away. If I saw a career in the field, I would see the value.

4. Dec 12, 2019 #4

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

That would be tempting if I had the time. A bit pricey, sure. But maybe it'd open up opportunity for a 2nd career in 8 or 9 years; when I might be looking to ease into retirement but work for a few more years doing something more fun.

BI81 and jgmann67 like this.
  5. Dec 12, 2019 #5

BI81

BI81

BI81

Thanks for the feedback, I went ahead and got on the wait list for the Winemaking Chemistry course seeing as it's been quite some time since I took college level chemistry. Apparently it's quite popular and doesn't look like I'll have a spot until the summer of 2020, so that will give me some more time to decide on enrolling in the program.

Draft saved Draft deleted