U-Vints to be Legal in Nova Scotia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugger

Reaction score
Well. our provincial government has finally got its head out of the sand and agreed that ferment on premises will be allowed in Nova Scotia.
U-vints have been operating on a very small basis here for a few years and there has been some legal action to stop them and one particular operator has been fighting them vigorously to have them legalized, with no desire on the governments' part to do so. Well, recently the prov. gov't empowered our Liquor Corporation (a crown corporation) to enforce our antiquated liquor laws, which prohibit u-vint operations, and the Liquor Corp proceeded to set up a sting operation at a few u-vints in the province and then charged them. Since our liquor corp has a monopoly on all liquor sales in the province, this was seen by the general public as a heavy handed abuse of power against competition and a David & Goliath situation. In just a few weeks the public opposition to this has convinced the government to see the light. They will looking at legislation to regulate these operations and hopefully will include the u-vint operators in developing these regs so they will make sense. Our province has a history of under thinking and over regulating in these instances.
I applaud Ross Harrington of Wine Kitz in Halifax for his valiant battle.

Hopefully your provincial government knows that there are some federal regulations (and maybe licensing) for a Ferment on Premises operation. At least there was a few years ago (maybe 2005?).

Steve

Steve - yes, in fact, Wine Kitz had received the federal permit a couple of years ago which I think helped them to a certain extent in their first run in with the province at that time. They faced 3 charges then and were only found guilty of one.

Yep still in place Steve it is that rider that allows U-Vint and U-Brew operation in British Columbia. Our biggest problem lately has been with Food & Drug over labeling and ingredient identification. Some one has decided to make their job look important with out thinking of the millions it is going to cost the little guy. Morons is the kindest word I can come up with for them right now.

Yes Dugger it was nice to see that the individuals can still influence public policy.

I think every U-Vint store that was not involved in this latest legal battle should send some money to Ross Harrington of Wine Kitz for all the work he has done on their behalf. This fight did not come cheap.

cheers

Latest posts

Back