typical alcohol production

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkeye15

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

I posted a similar question on the homebrew forums regarding mead that I have brewing. I also have some strawberry wine that I am curious about.
The recipie I used was for a 1/2 gallon test batch

1/2 lb strawberries
1 1/4 lb white sugar
1/2 pkg Lalvin Bourgovin RC212 yeast
1/2 tsp yeat nutrient
1/2 tsp acid bled
1/2 tsp strong tea

The starting hydrometer reading was at 1.080 with an alcohol potential of 11%
I started primary fermentation on 10/20/06 and 8 days later I took readings and started secondary fermentation with an airlock.
hydrometer reading was 0.990 with a potential (on the hydrometer scale) an estimated -0.75%

So is this wine done already? I mean it just started 2ndary fermentation but my readings tell me there is no sugar left. Is this typical of wines to ferment out this quickly?

and also, how long is a good time to age a wine like this to be good to drink?

Thank you for replies

Wine

I Only Use Grapes But At 990 Your Right All The Sugar Is Gone But Any Wine Takes A Lot Of Time Be Patient It Never Hurts To Wait

It's definately finished fermenting. The process of syphoning to secondary is not really to let it ferment further but to get your new wine off the sediment to avoid off flavours. Further racking should leave it clear it enough to bottle.

The fermenting temperature can dictate the speed of a fermentation. The warmer it is, the faster it will ferment. The wine I have going now both went from 1.100 to 1.000 in 7 days at 68 F.

Smurfe

Latest posts

Back