Type of bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

jwkbrown

DeerHunt
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am fairly new to wine making. I have a few kits under my belt but I have been making fruit wines.

I have some different types of bottles and want some feedback for best type to use for wine.

I have regular wine bottles that use corks but don’t have enough for all batches.

I just purchased 50 1 liter pop top beer bottles. Can I use these for wine and will it age properly.

I have a number of wine bottles with screw caps. I’m looking to buy caps for the. But again will they age fruit wines properly?

Reaction score
Yes! When I first started making Wine I used any bottle I could get my hands on. I reused screw cap bottles with used screw tops. Not the best solution but it worked. Had some fruit wines in plastic liter Pop bottles for a few years and all was good. The long term ( over 6 months in my terms) bottles I dipped the screw tops into hot wax to make sure the used tops sealed well. I also used flip top beer bottles, still do today for early tasters. The Best is wine bottles with a regular cork of course. But the others work. Just keep your Wine Pop bottles separated from the kids Pop bottles! LOL. Roy

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
Reaction score
visit wineries , recycle locations and restaurants in your area to get used bottles. wineries especially cannot reuse bottle and are usually a treasure trove for bottles.

Vinobeau

Reaction score
I no longer use any corks. Screw tops are my bottle of choice, next are used bottles and the plastic tasting corks, and scotch bottles with their cork is third. I have some wine is screw top bottles from 2010 and it is fine. I've been making wine since 1973 and I've never had wine in a bottle go bad.