Two wine and malefic fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishboy

Junior
Reaction score
I have two wines. One is a merlot which I put through MLF. One test said it was finished. I'm still seeing tiny bubbles thought to be MLF. I have a second wine, Syrah, that is going through MLF. I just purchased a oak barrel and want to lend both wines. Can I blend the two, even if one is finished with MLF and one is not. I want to put both wines n the oak barrel for 6-8 months.

Thanks

Yes you can blend whatever you want. The yeast eat sugar. When you mix the wines the yeast will eat the same amount of sugar that was already present. The wine will continue to ferment in your oak barrel until it is finished ( a few weeks should be plenty).

Yes you can blend whatever you want. The yeast eat sugar. When you mix the wines the yeast will eat the same amount of sugar that was already present. The wine will continue to ferment in your oak barrel until it is finished ( a few weeks should be plenty).

Agreed, the Syrah will continue mlf, so be sure to keep an air lock on it.

I think you are doing a crap shoot blending two wines that have not completed MLF or bulk aging. The intent of MLF is to garner better mouthfeel and reduce acidity. by combining two wine that have not completed this step there is no gaurantee the resulting blend is the best that could be.
the best method is to separately complete MLF, age each separately and then perform bench trials to come up with the best blend.

Thanks folks. I am waiting a few more days before I do decide. The Syrah has been on MLF for about 3-4 weeks and does look like it is slowing. On the Chrom drip test the Merlot showed complete, but I will test both to see where they are at. I'm getting my barrel ready now, i.e., soaking and cleaning.

Do you need to blend to achieve the capacity necessary to fill the barrel? If not, I agree with Salcoco, wait on blending. If you do, you have to do what you have to do. The wine will finish mlf in the barrel, be sure to keep it vented.

Yes, When I decide to fill the barrel, I'll have to use both wines to fill. I checked MLF yesterday and the Syrah isn't done. So I'm going to wait a few more days then check again.

Back