Two Viogniers, two different wines, let the judges decide

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey @4score, we could have the tie-breaker be the individual judges scores: if someone received individual scores of Silver, Bronze, Silver (Silver overall) and the other received Gold, Silver, Silver (Silver overall), the winner would be the higher individual score (3 points gold, 2 points silver, 1 point bronze).

In my upbringing, not everyone won a trophy. In contests, someone wins and someone loses and it's ok to lose.

Just got the individual judges notes. Judge 1 gave it a GOLD, "Very Nice, very enjoyable to drink". Judge 2 gave it a SILVER, "top notch, great acid, a good Viognier". Judge 3 gave in NO AWARD, "perfume, hair spray taste + clove".

So, there you go. Someone loved it, someone liked it and someone hated it. My score totals 3+2 = 5. We will see what @4score individual sheets tally up to.

Just got the individual judges notes. Judge 1 gave it a GOLD, "Very Nice, very enjoyable to drink". Judge 2 gave it a SILVER, "top notch, great acid, a good Viognier". Judge 3 gave in NO AWARD, "perfume, hair spray taste + clove".

So, there you go. Someone loved it, someone liked it and someone hated it. My score totals 3+2 = 5. We will see what @4score individual sheets tally up to.

Wow, I guess they didn't all taste at the same time and weren't sitting at a table where the judges could discuss the scores. When my club used to run a competition, if the scores differed by that much, we would ask the judges to discuss why they scored as they did and try to convince them to come to a consensus score. That one just leaves you scratching your head.

I think they do the same. A panel of three judges. Each score individually, then they come up with an overall. In my case Silver.

my favorite (pissed me off at the time) was 4 judges for a strawberry wine. 3 judges gave it gold with glowing comments, the fourth scored so low he didn't give it even an honorable mention. One of his comments was "Not enough Apple flavor".... WTF.... Ended up with a Silver medal but still...... Can you question the judges results when they're obviously that out of touch or confused?
Mike

Back