Two gallons of rhubarb juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

millwright01

pass the wine please
Reaction score
I have two gallons of rhubarb juice I just pulled out of my steam juicer. I searched but all the recipes say add the fruit to water. Nothing talks about using juice. Could I make a decent 3 gallon batch from this by diluting with water or should I add some other kind of juice? I don't have any one gallon jugs so that is why I ask. Maybe I just need to go find some jugs but would like to know what you all think. I haven't done an acid test yet. The juice is still warm so will do that tomorrow. Then I am going to freeze it as per Lucs blog if I need to get the acid down. If I still need to bring it down after that, I suppose I will dilute it then.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of rhubarb I blended with raspberry. I would avoid adding water unless you needed just a bit to top off.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I bought a 5 gallon vessel of Rhubarb juice from Walkers fruit farm and made it as was. I wouldnt dilute it down myself.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the above posters. I've made several batches from Walkers also. I would not add water but use small vessals or my second choice blend with another juice. Blending before fermentation, you'll never know what you really had though.

millwright01

pass the wine please
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I just did acid test and it came out at 1.7% or 17 grams/litre. I will have to search to see if I need to bring that down, and how to do it.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I would try to bring that down. I did with mine by putting the carboy in my wine cellar for a few months which gets to around 50* thuis time of year and it dropped a good bit.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would try to bring that down. I did with mine by putting the carboy in my wine cellar for a few months which gets to around 50* thuis time of year and it dropped a good bit.
I brought mine down a bit by blending it with strawberry from a kit wine. This is a wine I would leave a bit of acid in as I think it enhanced the flavor.

Latest posts