Two different barrel storage solutions question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Just switched from empty storage using sulphur strips for my Neutral red wine barrels to a SO2 citric acid solution and while most web sites recommend this combination, I came across one site saying to use tartaric acid instead of citric acid. Site states that citric acid could have the potential of making its way back into the wine later on when using the barrel for wine. I'm wondering if any of you might agree with this possibility?

Thanks,
Rob

This is a tried and true method used by wineries for ages without issue. Citric acid is used because it is cheaper than tartaric acid and lowers the pH better (which controls microbial bugs). When you have hundreds of barrels as many wineries do you could see where saving $$$ would be a priority. If you only have a single barrel and want to use tartaric feel free to as long as you use enough to drop the pH to within the specified range to kill any microbial bugs.

Tartaric Acid currently cost ~$20/lb. Citric Acid cost ~$9/lb

just storing barrels in a citric acid solution, I think, will not contribute enough citric acid to cause problems. It would be quite diluted by the time an entire barrel of wine is added, even if it gets converted by MLF

Latest posts

Back