tweeking cheap wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoifeLuC

Reaction score
Oh my! I have found a thread that I love! I'm on page 29 so far and have spent about three hours enjoying those inventive wine maker's. I thought I would try a another Island Mist wine. I wanted to try adding more concentrate and corn syrup to the mix. My hand will be shaking...however once I get through the process...my goal is drinkable product. I have a couple of questions .
From the pictures I've notice the primary was covered with a towel instead of a lid and no airlock. Does it help more with releasing gas?
I've read in my book Techinques in Home winemaking that adding the syrup a little at a time as not to shock the yeast (i didnt know one Could shock yeast) what does that mean?..From the pictures on the thread one added the simple syrup up front. Think that's the way I'm going...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Cloth covers just make it easier to open and stir on a daily basis & of course free release of gas from the fermentation process. Airlock isn't needed as the amount of CO2 gas is going to protect the wine anyway. It's not until the wine is fermented to nearly complete that the CO2 may dissipate and maybe leave your wine unprotected. Unless you are going away and not attending to the wine on a daily basis the cloth cover is just simpler to use.

Yes Simple Syrup is, for me at least, an easier way to raise the SG of my wine. Adding sugar undissolved means a lot of stirring to insure it's dissolved so your readings are correct. Adding the simple syrup requires a lot less stirring AND you can store the syrup in the fridge for short periods of time. I did leave some too long once (3 weeks about) and I started to see my old tooth rotting candy from my youth - Rock Candy. For me I use 2 cups sugar to 1 cup water. If you bring the water almost to a boil the sugar dissolves nicely with only a little stirring. That concentration also reduces the amount of water I'm adding to the wine as well.

If you order your kit from LabelPeelers, they offer an added concentrate pack (red or white depending on your wine choice), along with a pack of corn sugar. Together, they boost your flavor profile as well as ABV, while maintaining balance. It's a good tweak option to start off with. I'm sure other online retailers have similar options, I just happen to know about the LP options.

I didn't know that about the cloth cover. I'm learning so much from you all. Thanks so much. I might try that instead of the lid because it's so hard to remove and I think I'm weakening the seal. In my case I'll place it higher up so my dog doesn't take a few nips. Discovered she likes wine as she took my husbands glass (with a few drops still in it) and marched off to drink it. Now if I can get her to wash the dishes!
Yes after reading some on the Tweaking cheap wines thread I went to Label Peelers to order one straight away...and their suggestions on corn syrup and more concentrate. Those suggestions helped from getting bogged down jumping from page to page.
P.S. Do I stir the mixture daily?

Last edited:
I didn't know that about the cloth cover. I'm learning so much from you all. Thanks so much. I might try that instead of the lid because it's so hard to remove and I think I'm weakening the seal. In my case I'll place it higher up so my dog doesn't take a few nips. Discovered she likes wine as she took my husbands glass (with a few drops still in it) and marched off to drink it. Now if I can get her to wash the dishes!
Yes after reading some on the Tweaking cheap wines thread I went to Label Peelers to order one straight away...and their suggestions on corn syrup and more concentrate. Those suggestions helped from getting bogged down jumping from page to page.

Wine drinking dog. Just don't let the neighbors know that you are contributing to the corruption of your dogs moral behavior. :)

Just for your info, The seals on those fermenting buckets really don't seal all that well. Many of us have found that the airlocks don't even register any activity because the gases coming off your wine can escape through the leaky seal. I even tried wetting down the sealing ring before snapping on the top - it worked for about a day until the water dried up and the seal went back to leaking. At first it looked as though there was no fermentation activity until I took the lid off and smelled it. Yeah those bucket lids and seals are more trouble than they are worth. Even most folks that use them just leave them loose on there rather than fight the plastic snaps. I just use a cloth and tie it with a cord - that might stop fido unless he/she is a real lush. :dg

Last edited:
LuC is a strange dog...smart as Border Collies go. Her companion likes to play in water. Unfortunately he saw me turn on faucet and started doing it himself. Had to build fencing around faucets outside.
Think I'm going to but some bungy cords to secure towel.
Thanks so much.

You don't need to worry about "wearing out the seal" on your lid. You don't snap it down while fermenting. Mine lays on top loosely so I can remove, stir, and set back on.
As mentioned, yes, stir daily. I stir mine in the morning and at night.

Larry went to visit his 86 year old grandfather in a very rural area. After spending a great evening chatting the night away, Larry’s grandfather prepared breakfast of bacon and eggs. Larry noticed a film like substance on his place, and questioned his grandfather asking, “Are these plates clean?”

His grandfather replied, “They’re as clean as cold water can get em. Just you go ahead and finish your meal”.

For lunch the old man made hamburgers. Again, Larry was concerned about the plates as it appeared to have tiny specks around the edge that looked like dried egg and asked, “Are you sure these plates are clean?”

Without looking up the old man said, “I told you before, those dishes are as clean as cold water can get them. Now don’t you worry, I don’t want to hear another word about it”.

Later that afternoon, as he was leaving, his grandfather’s dog started to growl, and wouldn’t let him pass. Larry yelled and said, “Grandfather, your dog won’t let me get to my car”.

Without diverting his attention from the football game he was watching on TV, the old man shouted, ‘COLDWATER, GO LAY DOWN NOW, YEH HERE ME!!!”

Adding the simple syrup requires a lot less stirring AND you can store the syrup in the fridge for short periods of time. I did leave some too long once (3 weeks about) and I started to see my old tooth rotting candy from my youth - Rock Candy.

Only 3 weeks?! How long would you think a simple syrup mix is good for? I made a bit too much around mid march. Poured it piping hot into a Ball mason jar. The kind that seals itself as the heat cools. I had a full quart jar left untouched. Did not refrigerate. Kept in the room with the wine.
I used it again mid may-2 months later. Seemed fine. A couple crystals formed up near the lid that's it. I didn't think anything if it. Do You typically make new syrup for each use?

Larry went to visit his 86 year old grandfather in a very rural area. After spending a great evening chatting the night away, Larry’s grandfather prepared breakfast of bacon and eggs. Larry noticed a film like substance on his place, and questioned his grandfather asking, “Are these plates clean?”

His grandfather replied, “They’re as clean as cold water can get em. Just you go ahead and finish your meal”.

For lunch the old man made hamburgers. Again, Larry was concerned about the plates as it appeared to have tiny specks around the edge that looked like dried egg and asked, “Are you sure these plates are clean?”

Without looking up the old man said, “I told you before, those dishes are as clean as cold water can get them. Now don’t you worry, I don’t want to hear another word about it”.

Later that afternoon, as he was leaving, his grandfather’s dog started to growl, and wouldn’t let him pass. Larry yelled and said, “Grandfather, your dog won’t let me get to my car”.

Without diverting his attention from the football game he was watching on TV, the old man shouted, ‘COLDWATER, GO LAY DOWN NOW, YEH HERE ME!!!”
This is so funny however it's semi truth with my husband! My husband is 88 years old and has Alzehimer. I let him "wash" dishes but after he finishes I go back and do them again. We've been married 42 years and it's really an eye opening disease. Husband use to make beer and I thought making wine would interest him...it does indeed. He likes to see me mix together and he helps hold the siphon for me. Certainly likes drinking the wine. I love him trying to help. It keeps him involved in life.

Only 3 weeks?! How long would you think a simple syrup mix is good for? I made a bit too much around mid march. Poured it piping hot into a Ball mason jar. The kind that seals itself as the heat cools. I had a full quart jar left untouched. Did not refrigerate. Kept in the room with the wine.
I used it again mid may-2 months later. Seemed fine. A couple crystals formed up near the lid that's it. I didn't think anything if it. Do You typically make new syrup for each use?

That was the mix that started turning into rock candy huge crystals of sugar in the bottle. (1 pint peanut butter jar)

This is so funny however it's semi truth with my husband! My husband is 88 years old and has Alzehimer. I let him "wash" dishes but after he finishes I go back and do them again. We've been married 42 years and it's really an eye opening disease. Husband use to make beer and I thought making wine would interest him...it does indeed. He likes to see me mix together and he helps hold the siphon for me. Certainly likes drinking the wine. I love him trying to help. It keeps him involved in life.

That is very sweet -- kudos to you. :hug I wish the best for you and your dear husband! Peace.

Sauvignon Wine Kit - Winexpert Vintner's Reserve

Hi all,

Home brewer here jumping into wine-making. I love this thread (wish it was its own category, though) and, as I've been making my own beer recipes, I don't necessarily want to stick to the instructions in the kit.

I just bought a Sauvignon Blanc kit (Vintner's Reserve from Winexpert) and want to "tweek" it a tad. Here is what I am planning to do (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

1. Bring it down to 5.5 gallons instead of 6
2. Use grapefruit zest in primary

The kit calls for fermentation at 72 to 75 degrees, which seems high for a white. I'll probably do it at a lower temp. Should I use a different yeast?

Has anyone made this kit before? The instructions clearly state to make sure you follow the correct volumes or problems "may not be solvable."

Thanks.

tweeking cheap wine kits

Hi all,

Home brewer here jumping into wine-making. I love this thread (wish it was its own category, though) and, as I've been making my own beer recipes, I don't necessarily want to stick to the instructions in the kit.

I just bought a Sauvignon Blanc kit (Vintner's Reserve from Winexpert) and want to "tweek" it a tad. Here is what I am planning to do (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

1. Bring it down to 5.5 gallons instead of 6
2. Use grapefruit zest in primary

The kit calls for fermentation at 72 to 75 degrees, which seems high for a white. I'll probably do it at a lower temp. Should I use a different yeast?

Has anyone made this kit before? The instructions clearly state to make sure you follow the correct volumes or problems "may not be solvable."

Thanks.
Hello, Bjanu!...this thread is in response to enjoying Joeswine thread Tweeking Cheap Wine Kits. Look up his thread and you will have a treasure trove of ideas and what he and others are doing. So far I don't know how to make the reference (link) to send you there. Maybe others can help...
Have a great day and I hope you find Joeswine thread. You will love it.

Last edited:
Oops. Sorry. I thought this was the JoesWine thread. Thanks, I'll move it over there.

No problem. The reason why I named the thread Tweeting Cheap Wine ...I didn't want to interupt the flow of his thread with my dumb beginner question on using a towel instead of a bucket lid and the reason why or where I noticed the towel use. Have a great day

Latest posts

Back