Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or maybe.. A blackberry Pino Nior

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 5 Oak.jpg
    5 Oak.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 6 yeast.jpg
    6 yeast.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 0
  • 7 Add Fpack.jpg
    7 Add Fpack.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 11c.jpg
    11c.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
Thought I would ask this here based on all the good advice this thread has.

Any thoughts on a good yeast for Dolcetto? I may order a juice bucket since I love Dolcetto (not sure which producer they get their juice from) and always wanted to make some. Was thinking of going with Bougovin 212.

My plan is to make it fruit forward and a younger drinker.

Yes that’s a good choice and another I’ve used in the past is a Red Star champagne yes it develops a very smooth structure especially if your looking for a more fruit forward wine . And is that’s the case keep the Ph and the Abv low ( ph 3) (Abv at 12).
Just my thoughts

Yes that’s a good choice and another I’ve used in the past is a Red Star champagne yes it develops a very smooth structure especially if your looking for a more fruit forward wine . And is that’s the case keep the Ph and the Abv low ( ph 3) (Abv at 12).
Just my thoughts
Thanks. I will consider that yeast as well. Appreciate it.

I just started a WE pinot grigio reserve. Its already ferment for a few days. Anything tried and true I can quickly do to improve it or just run with it and play next time?
Did ya end up tweaking your pinot grigio? How'd it turn out?

Gonna be firing up my first this fall :)

Cheers!

With Pino Grigio it’s better to step lightly reguardless of the kits cost , grapefruit zest or a touch of lemon zest plays a key roll in acidity portion of the final product.
I’ve a look so used fresh apricots or peaches to give the pino a whole different flavor profile , Thompson seedless grapes make a great f pack also , have fun , don’t be afraid to explore your creativity, wine making is supposed to be fun🫵🫵🫵🫵🫵🫵

I'm following up on my A - B test with the WineLovers cheap Sauvignon Blanc kits. I started the primary fermentation 15 days ago with two Sauvignon Blanc 11.5% kits and used the enclosed yeast in one bucket (I assume it's EC-1118) and QA-23 in the other bucket. I racked into carboys today. My lovely bride and I both did a quick taste test and liked EC-1118 best, the QA-23 wasn't bad, but it was a bit more sour and the EC-1118 had a better mouthfeel. That said, what surprised me the most was the bright yellow-orange color of the EC-1118 batch while the QA-23 batch was quite dingy. We have a ways to go for the final analysis...but right now the EC-1118 batch gets the nod. I'm guessing that's why @joeswine almost always uses the enclosed EC-1118 and doesn't mess with trying other yeasts. :)

Today I started a quadruple batch of Sauvignon Blanc (WE Vintner's Reserve) under the careful tutelage of Master Tweaker, Joe. This is my first attempt at tweaking a "cheap" kit and I am excited to see how it progresses. The tweaks I employed were adding 4# of white grapes, crushed and cooked down by 30%, the zest of two grapefruit (I know, the picture looks like orange zest, but it is grapefruit), toasted American oak chips and Hungarian oak powder. I did not change the yeast that came with the kit (EC-1118). I have this all in my 32 gallon fermenter, ET 2 Brute. We'll see how it goes!
Thanks to Joe and Rocky, I made two batches of 11.5% Wine Lovers Sauv Blanc and I followed Rocky's flow closely with my two batches. The only difference was that I used Lalvin QA-23 yeast on one batch and the enclosed yeast which I assume was EC-1118. Both were very good, but I and my lovely bride both preferred the taste of the QA-23. Thanks @joeswine and @Rocky for your help and guidance. All the best!

With Pino Grigio it’s better to step lightly reguardless of the kits cost , grapefruit zest or a touch of lemon zest plays a key roll in acidity portion of the final product.
I’ve a look so used fresh apricots or peaches to give the pino a whole different flavor profile , Thompson seedless grapes make a great f pack also , have fun , don’t be afraid to explore your creativity, wine making is supposed to be fun🫵🫵🫵🫵🫵🫵
when using grapefruit zest in primary -- how much do you suggest adding?

Start with 1/2 In the primary you can always adjust more before bottling , always remember ( less is more).

A Dessert Wine worth a try
Last summer I was looking for a dessert wine kit after the most popular ones had sold out. But I found one lonely kit that I thought I'd give a try Apre Dessert Wine Kit--it wasn't the chocolate one or any of the other offerings that would draw people to it, just plain but the results are very good.
I only did one small tweak, otherwise stuck to the instructions. I added 1 Tbs of instant coffee to the primary. Started on June 4, 2021, it really turned the corner at 9 months, but now at 15 months it's very good. Tastes like coffee/chocolate, sweet as you would expect, and the strong alcohol taste is gone.
I've followed so many of @joeswine suggestions from this thread as well as from others, so thought I'd throw another option into the mix. Here's a screenshot of the kit:
1664422600688.jpeg

A Dessert Wine worth a try
Last summer I was looking for a dessert wine kit after the most popular ones had sold out. But I found one lonely kit that I thought I'd give a try Apre Dessert Wine Kit--it wasn't the chocolate one or any of the other offerings that would draw people to it, just plain but the results are very good.
I only did one small tweak, otherwise stuck to the instructions. I added 1 Tbs of instant coffee to the primary. Started on June 4, 2021, it really turned the corner at 9 months, but now at 15 months it's very good. Tastes like coffee/chocolate, sweet as you would expect, and the strong alcohol taste is gone.
I've followed so many of @joeswine suggestions from this thread as well as from others, so thought I'd throw another option into the mix. Here's a screenshot of the kit:
View attachment 93452
any idea what the final SG was After backsweetening etc?

Joe, have you ever made an fpack with black currants? Just wondering if there was anything you know about using fresh or frozen black currants. Not Zante currants. Thanks

Latest posts

Back