Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@GretchenR, I haven't used fruit flavorings like that, but I suggest you bench test first. Put a few oz wine in a glass and add some of the flavoring and taste. Some flavorings will not work for you, and this let's you know without ruining a batch.

You can add berries at fermentation time, and it will change the flavor. How much the flavor changes will depend on what you are adding, and the quantity. One advantage of an F-pack is the flavor will probably be stronger, and it won't be fermented.

@GretchenR, I haven't used fruit flavorings like that, but I suggest you bench test first. Put a few oz wine in a glass and add some of the flavoring and taste. Some flavorings will not work for you, and this let's you know without ruining a batch.

You can add berries at fermentation time, and it will change the flavor. How much the flavor changes will depend on what you are adding, and the quantity. One advantage of an F-pack is the flavor will probably be stronger, and it won't be fermented.
I'm not sure I understand. You said the F-pack wouldn't be fermented. I thought the F-pack was added at the beginning of primary fermentation. Maybe (after reading 155 pages) I've gotten confused. I'm hoping to add some blackberries to a Yakima Red Blend kit, and I was thinking I would simmer one pound of berries in a little wine and mash them a bit, let them cool and add the berries and their liquid and maybe a little simple syrup to the juice before pitching the yeast. Is there a better way?

It’s all right there the how to of fpac making and use on tweaking cheap wine kits or making extraction from fruits.
There’s also a site call Olive Nation very good extracts , I’ve used them and has been happy with the results.
Using extras is like I have skyways stated (less is more) and then you need to let time settle out the rest .

I'm not sure I understand. You said the F-pack wouldn't be fermented. I thought the F-pack was added at the beginning of primary fermentation. Maybe (after reading 155 pages) I've gotten confused. I'm hoping to add some blackberries to a Yakima Red Blend kit, and I was thinking I would simmer one pound of berries in a little wine and mash them a bit, let them cool and add the berries and their liquid and maybe a little simple syrup to the juice before pitching the yeast. Is there a better way?

Yes, it is confusing. On this site, when we refer to an "F-pack," it is often referring to something added after fermentation is completed to add flavor and (often) sweetness. This nomenclature comes from the practice of kit manufacturers, who sometimes provide a separate liquid (the F-pack) to add at the end.

Adding to the confusion, many of us do not like sweeter wines, and so often add the F-pack to the primary fermentation to get the flavor and a bit more alcohol. And then furthering the confusion, some people create their own F-packs, as in this thread, as part of a tweak to a kit. These could be added before or after fermentation!

Thank you both for the clarification. As an update, my Fontana Malbec (with Zante currants, a bit of sugar, and some extra oak) is clearing well and tasting pretty good. I may have gone overboard on the oak but I know that will change with time. I think I will let well enough alone and not add anything at this point. My plan is to let it bulk age for six months or so, and I'll evaluate the flavor again at that point. I wouldn't even have known to try this without the ideas and guidance you all share so generously on this thread.

Has anyone used a commercial liquid fruit flavoring instead of an fpac in primary? I was on the ABC Crafted site and they have what they call Blackberry Beverage Infusion. It comes in many other flavors as well. It doesn't say what is in it -- I suspect it is artificial fruit flavor and sugar -- but I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and, if so, what the result was. I'm also wondering (after reading winemaker81) if, instead of cooking the berries for an fpac, you could just mash them and then add them and some pectic enzyme to the primary.
Just a word of caution about the artificial flavor. I did a Southern Peach - Wine Lovers Fruit Winemaking Kit and added the included fpac. Result: the most awful tasting spiked peach kool aid. I then checked the fpac ingredients: artificial peach flavoring. It was undrinkable for me but was able to give it all away.

Just a word of caution about the artificial flavor. I did a Southern Peach - Wine Lovers Fruit Winemaking Kit and added the included fpac. Result: the most awful tasting spiked peach kool aid. I then checked the fpac ingredients: artificial peach flavoring. It was undrinkable for me but was able to give it all away.
Thank you for the warning. I think I'll stick with fresh blackberries and see how that works.

this is the real way to add a true fresh smooth peach flavor to your wine base.
!) first pic has fresh peaches sautéed down till they just soften
2) pic shows fresh peaches that were ball
jar in primary fermentation
keep it simple.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1
this is the real way to add a true fresh smooth peach flavor to your wine base.
!) first pic has fresh peaches sautéed down till they just soften
2) pic shows fresh peaches that were ball
jar in primary fermentation
keep it simple.
Several years ago (2015-ish), as my second attempt at winemaking (first attempt was a kit that turned out fine) I tried making peach wine from canned peaches using a recipe I found online. I had a hard time getting it to clear, and when it finally did, I had rocket fuel. Although I calculated abv at 12% it tasted very harsh. I saved a bottle and opened it recently. It had mellowed out and turned into a sort of generic white wine. Hardly any peach flavor at all, but not unpleasant.

Just received the Southern Peach, but have not started yet. Thanks for the review and hopefully I can make adjustments before hand. Just might use 2 homemade fpac's , along with a small bottle of peach flavoring I have. See how that tastes and then trial & error, test batch with bottles of peach flavor that comes with it.

Remember , the bottled flavoring is strong and needs time to settle out at least a year.
When using fresh peach , not so
much, place the fresh peaches directly in to the mix the process will extract what it needs and that’s it.
Less is more .
Try not to over think the process and have fun.

Island Mist I add 4# of sugar to raise the alcohol level.

Dry reds I tend to add some extra oak to them, I like an oaky wine.

I had a cheap chardonay that I split and added different juice concentrates to them up front. They are still aging but when I sampled they were pretty good.
How much sugar did you add?

510k views and growing quickly, thanks to all who have learned and had input into this thread.

I purchased 25 lbs of ripe peaches. They taste delicious! I was going to make 5 gallons of peach wine. I am cutting them and freezing them. As suggested I will add acid blend and pectic enzymes and then freeze. My question is how much water should I add to make a full flavor peach wine. Also, can I add nutrients such as opti white and firmaid O during fermentation? I was thinking of using D47 yeast. My last question is how many lbs of peaches should I add to a cheap Winexpert chardonay wine kit that would bring out a peach flavor but not overwhelm the Chardonnay.

I purchased 25 lbs of ripe peaches. They taste delicious! I was going to make 5 gallons of peach wine. I am cutting them and freezing them. As suggested I will add acid blend and pectic enzymes and then freeze. My question is how much water should I add to make a full flavor peach wine. Also, can I add nutrients such as opti white and firmaid O during fermentation? I was thinking of using D47 yeast. My last question is how many lbs of peaches should I add to a cheap Winexpert chardonay wine kit that would bring out a peach flavor but not overwhelm the Chardonnay.

I would advise against trying to add peaches to your Chardonnay must. To many things that can go wrong with no recourse to fix any of them. To little peaches, too many peaches, Chardonnay yeast might not be the best for peaches, etc.

My advice is ferment the peaches separately and blend after both have finished secondary. That way you can fine tune the taste you want.

I would to an unpacked chard, or a call Sauvignon Blanc the taste profile will be very different then your use to , remember that , I did it to a Sauvignon Blanc let it age awhile 3 months and all was well. Tasty

summer wine, my favorite wine of the year

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 8.jpg