Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"ABC Crafted Series" yeast package.
I noticed that, too. I do know it fermented well and I didn't rehydrate.
What were the tweaks you did last time that worked so well?
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/tweeking-cheap-kits.51904/page-113#post-755884
I tried to follow @Rocky as best as possible and it came out great. Going to go for a repeat, then a threepeat.

Here's the beginning of the thread:
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/tweeking-cheap-kits.51904/page-96#post-739976

Last edited:
Rocky, clam sauce sounds great and good to hear your zesting experience worked out its a part of a very natural
proces.

something for feaste time....

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 21
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 20
PHASE#2

Attachments

• 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 35 (2).jpg
    35 (2).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 36 (2).jpg
    36 (2).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 15
PHASE#3 outstand wine

Attachments

• 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 12
1, decide on the type of kit you want to make ,understand it's taste profile.
2, from the profile plan your work then work your plan.
3,have fun above all ,thinking outside the box.
Can't be any easier.

A Bit Of an Experiment with Rhubarb fpac.
I had success with a light-bodied (7%) Wine Lovers Zinfandel Blush that I added a raspberry fpac (16 oz.) to the primary. So, I've started the exact same kit with a 16 oz rhubarb fpac into the primary. I shorted the 6 gallon kit to 5 gallons and added some simple syrup until the starting SG was 1.085. Three days after pitching the yeast I detected some slight rotten egg smell so after researching this site decided to add 3 grams of Fermade K which I had on hand. Some suggested Fermaid O but I used what I had and the smell has gone away. That is where I'm at tonight with an SG of 1.031. IMG_2870.jpeg

Going forward, my plan is to add some rhubarb juice to secondary to accentuate some of that flavor. I had back sweetened some of the bottles I made with raspberry so I'm guessing I'll sweeten some of these bottles too, after tasting, then leaving some dry to see how they progress.

I'd welcome your suggestions or thoughts on my plan. This is my first use of rhubarb so figure I might learn a few things through this process before starting my batch of rhubarb wine that we got from the garden.

As long as your fermentation is going stay as you are just before fermentation is completed rerack into a 5 gallon carboy ( do you have one?).
This way you'll still have positive pressure and c wont have to fear oxidation.
GOT IT?
WHATS YOUR EXPECTED ABV?.

Thanks Joe. I have a 5 gal carboy that I'll rack to and add an airlock. My expected ABV is +/- 12%. Also, more of a general tweaking question, do you ever use pectic enzyme when adding f-pacs to aid in clearing?

Yes ,only if I add fresh fruit fpacs or for some reason I'm having a hard time clearing 😅.
Have you tried making a fresh f pac yet? There easy to do and add a lot of structure to the wine.

Yes, I've followed your guidance on making fresh f pacs with this rhubarb Zinfandel Blush, a raspberry f pac on Zinfandel Blush, and did the blackberry f pac with a cheap Merlot. Not really an f pac, but I added Zante Currants to a Malbec cheap kit also. All have turned out very good. Love your ideas because they work!

After racking the rhubarb Zinfandel Blush this morning, I'd say it's super cloudy at this early stage (only day 6). Would adding pectin enzyme help at this stage? I've read that rhubarb is very low in pectin so wondered about it's use here. I think it would have helped a great deal with my my raspberry f pac wine.:) Here's an updated picture after racking: IMG_2878.jpg

Yes, I've followed your guidance on making fresh f pacs with this rhubarb Zinfandel Blush, a raspberry f pac on Zinfandel Blush, and did the blackberry f pac with a cheap Merlot. Not really an f pac, but I added Zante Currants to a Malbec cheap kit also. All have turned out very good. Love your ideas because they work!

After racking the rhubarb Zinfandel Blush this morning, I'd say it's super cloudy at this early stage (only day 6). Would adding pectin enzyme help at this stage? I've read that rhubarb is very low in pectin so wondered about it's use here. I think it would have helped a great deal with my my raspberry f pac wine.:) Here's an updated picture after racking: View attachment 74877
What's an fpac??

Hello everyone. Just came across this thread looking to find out if MLF can be done on a chardonnay kit. My question was answer by a comment from @cmason1957. NOT recommended. But i also noticed folks adding grapefruit zest which I find very interesting. My Chardonnay kit is pretty much done with the second fermentation. Am I still able to add grape fruit zest to it? also, the kit came without oak chips, is it ok to add them now? It's my first kit. I usually make reds from juice and of course, always add oak to them.

Hello everyone. Just came across this thread looking to find out if MLF can be done on a chardonnay kit. My question was answer by a comment from @cmason1957. NOT recommended. But i also noticed folks adding grapefruit zest which I find very interesting. My Chardonnay kit is pretty much done with the second fermentation. Am I still able to add grape fruit zest to it? also, the kit came without oak chips, is it ok to add them now? It's my first kit. I usually make reds from juice and of course, always add oak to them.

I'll try to answer. I would think you could add the grapefruit zest now and let it sit in there for a week or so, which is longer than the timeline that the kit says to use, but, that isn't a big deal. Most kits wines that have oak chips added in primary, that oak isn't for oak flavoring, but rather for sacrificial tannins and chips are used to give up what little they have as quickly as possible.

You can certainly add oak chips (or cubes, or winesticks, or put it into a never used for red wines barrel) if you want to. I don't think any Chardonnay kits can be made to give you that big buttery, nutty taste that commercial Chardonnays get from the MLF, Sur-Lie aging, and barrels.

I'll try to answer. I would think you could add the grapefruit zest now and let it sit in there for a week or so, which is longer than the timeline that the kit says to use, but, that isn't a big deal. Most kits wines that have oak chips added in primary, that oak isn't for oak flavoring, but rather for sacrificial tannins and chips are used to give up what little they have as quickly as possible.

You can certainly add oak chips (or cubes, or winesticks, or put it into a never used for red wines barrel) if you want to. I don't think any Chardonnay kits can be made to give you that big buttery, nutty taste that commercial Chardonnays get from the MLF, Sur-Lie aging, and barrels.
Thanks. I think I will try the grapefruit zest. I'm intrigued.

Latest posts

Back