Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's exactly what happened with the sugar, did you do 5.5 gallons or 6 to start with?
What should happen is the less water you use the denser the fruit should be and yes the ABV. is higher also ,that should have balanced out the values.
Always remember wine making and tasting is subjective by its own nature and the makers.
Yep Joe, I took what you said into account.
Unfortunately I do not have a 5 gallon carboy and I think my apartment is already overloaded, so I must do 6 or 6 + using overflow bottles.
Using small overflow bottles I just have to loosen the cap let some gas out every once in a while in the state before stabilization and in small bottles it is easy to separate the clear from the lees. So they are very helpful in racking and putting mixed lees and the very cloudy wine stuff in the small bottles and getting a 6 gal carboy of clear wine separate..
It's exta work but it works well for me.

Up next for end of month is Diablo Rojo (Chile - WineExpert - $70)
and Sauvignon Blanc - California (Vinco $117).
The Rojo I am thinking of adding either Raspberries or Blueberries and chapitalizing up a few ABV as per reading previous Joeswine advice (in the threads) on Diablo Rojo. leaning towards raspberries.
The Sauvignon Blanc I may leave alone as it is the high end kit... or maybe add some fruit, I like more fruit taste.

Small tweaks can have amazing results. Started a kit Cabernet Sauvignon with oak and dried grapes. Had some leftover Shiraz fresh grapes so macerated them and put them in with the Cabernet raisins. It is now in for some bulk aging. A taste during racking from the primary fermenter to the carboy suggests that this is a good thing. More after aging is done in March. This is a 5.5 gal batch.

Raspberries will tranfer a smoothness to the diablo, as for the Sauvignon Blanc, add some grapefruit zest in the primary or of your feeling adventure ious, fresh peaches, quote nice.

Jpwakins9, raisins add depth and structure alone with tannins.judt remember a little goes a long way.
Keep thinking outside the box 🎁

Raspberries will tranfer a smoothness to the diablo, as for the Sauvignon Blanc, add some grapefruit zest in the primary or of your feeling adventure ious, fresh peaches, quote nice.
Thanks , good advice. Yeah I was thinking of peaches for the SB so that is confirmed and I still have three grapefruits from my last shopping!.

just remember if you use peaches which and a nice touch to the finish you'll need pectin enzyme (1 teaspoon ) also and time .

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 12
just remember if you use peaches which and a nice touch to the finish you'll need pectin enzyme (1 teaspoon ) also and time .
Thanks for the Reminder, I had pitched it and the next morning realized I forgot the pectic. I added 2 teaspoons, it couldn't hurt. I started the Sauvignon Blane , high end , Vineco 6 week kit.
I added 1 TBSP grapefruit Zest from the white grapefruit and I container of Dole peaches (540 ml = 18.25 fl oz). I blended the peaches in a small sports blender - rinsed it in the must.
Fresh peaches were out of season, So I settled for the Dole. They were in a plastic see through flexible
container - looked quite good. I've never seen fruit in a container like that before.
The white grapefruit was the size of an orange (on the left in picture). I zested 1 TBSP from it.
Start SG = 1.089
sauvignon blanc additives.jpg

Last edited:
Diablo Rojo fruit tweaks. Unlike the cherries these were 400 gm not 600 gm. I am thinking put the raspberries in the primary and a handful of blackberries in the secondary?

Attachments

• Diablo Rojo Tweaks.jpg
    Diablo Rojo Tweaks.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Diablo Rojo, made this kit at two different times ,love it, with these new kits let your hydrometer be your guide.
16ozs. Of blackberries works well with this one.13%ABV. is nice.
Is the other a white?

you see with the Sauvignon blanc you want to still capture the grassiness' of the wine with a little softness of the peach or acidity of the Grapefruit zest.

remember a little goes a long way ,but that's your choice your the winemaker, that's how you learn .
below are different FPACS .

Attachments

• IMG_20170903_130147852.jpg
    IMG_20170903_130147852.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20170227_152307881.jpg
    IMG_20170227_152307881.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20170227_153417185.jpg
    IMG_20170227_153417185.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20170604_163600192.jpg
    IMG_20170604_163600192.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 8 finished f pak - Copy.jpg
    8 finished f pak - Copy.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20140828_153241482 - Copy (2).jpg
    IMG_20140828_153241482 - Copy (2).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20140828_160755526_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140828_160755526_HDR.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20141023_155518703 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20141023_155518703 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 15
Pinot Noir Black Raspberry Whisky Barrel Oaked Wine - started 6 gallon batch today; 10 liter Wine Expert Pinot Noir kit, 8 pound black raspberries (previously hand picked and frozen), 4 pounds of sugar, some acid blend, tannin, pectin enzyme, yeast nutrient and oak chips in primary with Lavlin RS212 yeast. Berries and oak in bag. Used enough water to result in 6 gallons when bag is removed. Starting SG =1.114; will ferment to dry at 65 deg F then bulk age 1+ yr and bottle age a few more. Made this 2 years ago without the oak at 12.5% alcohol and it is very good so thought I’d try the new “high test - whisky barrel” fad. Black raspberries don’t release their sugar well at start so I anticipate this will be a 16% alcohol wine which should please my craft beer and spirit drinkers. Pushing the limit of the RS212 yeast. We shall see.

Are you telling me that in a 6 gallon batch of wine you put 18 lb of blackberries and 4 lb of sugar or am I reading that incorrectly?

No, 8 pounds of berries, not 18. That is approximately 1/3 the amount that I would use if making a 100% black raspberry wine. This wine will be predominantly grape wine with strong black raspberry undertones. Just thought I would share my Tweaking Cheap Kit project. Any and all comments and/or advice is always welcome.

Joe I got asked to make an apple Island Mist kit. Was going to use some fresh apples and simple syrup to raise the abv some. What are your recommendations? Thank you.

Latest posts

Back