Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would you all think of grapefruit zest, peaches and medium toast American or French oak in a cheap Chardonnay kit? I would be planning on a 12.5-13% ABV.

Oops, you're right. I didn't make the temperature correction. Since the temperature at bottling time was about 78, .992 is probably correct. Even at that I would have expected the wine to taste dryer and harsher. BTW, in my last post I left out a crucial word. I meant to say, "I know I'm NOT an expert wine make" :)

Oops, you're right. I didn't make the temperature correction. Since the temperature at bottling time was about 78, .992 is probably correct. Even at that I would have expected the wine to taste dryer and harsher. BTW, in my last post I left out a crucial word. I meant to say, "I know I'm NOT an expert wine make" :)

I think you are well on your way to becoming one! :)

ROCKETBEE...yes go lite on the zest 1 full tablespoon, fresh peaches yes about 6 sliced down and just a touch of oak ( don't over do the wood )and it will be spot on.

Bring the SG up to 10/12%,good balance between fruit and ABV.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 21
  • fiero 015.jpg
    fiero 015.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Stabilized and started the clearing process for the Sauvignon Blanc. This was a kit I bought from WineLoversOnline.com the branding said "ABC Crafted". The stuff smells great, tastes great and really, really liked the grapefruit zest. Thanks @Rocky and @joeswine for all your help. @Rocky the wine is resting in a 5 gallon carboy plus a 1,500 ml wine bottle. Each filled up into the neck and has very little headspace.

Last edited:
Stabilized and started the clearing process for the Sauvignon Blanc. This was a kit I bought from WineLoversOnline.com the branding said "ABC Crafted". The stuff smells great, tastes great and really, really liked the grapefruit zest. Thanks @Rocky and @joeswine for all your help. @Rocky the wine is resting in a 5 gallon carboy plus a 1,500 ml wine bottle. Each filled up into the neck and has very little headspace.
Glad to hear you are pleased with your wine. Great work!

I made a “wild grapes” brand of Chardonnay and getting ready to bottle in a Couple of days. My wife asked me to make it and she likes a slightly sweet Chardonnay and this one of course finished dry. Thinking on different ways to backsweeten it. What you guys think about using frozen apple juice concentrate? I was thinking maybe a can or two and then sugar if more sweetness was needed

do you know how to make simple syrup if so make yourself some simple syrup and back something a little bit at a time tasting as you're going along this way everything will blending together ,simple.

Yes I added all the chemicals. Ive used simple syrup before and can do that for sure. Was just curious if anyone has ever used apple concentrate for more flavor or if another fruit concentrate would work good for a Chardonnay

Oh and I did take your advice on the grapefruit zest and Im going to start on your peach bellini soon too. I really appreciate all the suggestions youve posted here

grapefruit zest is key to a crisp finish ,with the Bellini the fresh peaches make the difference no doubt.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 11
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 10
ZESTING......................its fun time

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 14
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 14
With the peaches, do you put into a mesh bag or just straight into the primary and punch them down everyday? If I’m a bag, do you squeeze them like you do the berries for DB?

Use ripe peaches first, no bag, just once or twice after that the acholo will do all the work.
Don't use a bag your only going to use 4 to 6 peaches.got it?
Less work is more.just my thoughts 🤔

I ended up adding one can of apple juice concentrate and 8oz of simple syrup to the Chardonnay kit after racking and adding 2 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate. It’s absolutely amazing already. My wife came home from work and tasted what was left over after bottling that had been chilling and decanted in the fridge and she was blown away. She said it tasted more like a Riesling, which in her eyes isn’t a bad thing. Its 13.5% and doesn’t taste anywhere close to it. Very smooth

Oh and I did take your advice on the grapefruit zest and Im going to start on your peach bellini soon too. I really appreciate all the suggestions youve posted here
Hi. I just ordered the exact same kit. Would you list the ingredients and process you did from start to finish? I want to enhance the kit. Grapefruit zest? Apple concentrate? Pri and secondary additions?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back