Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more consistent and the lower the temp the better. I put mine into my spare refrigerator set to as low as it goes, which is 33F for a week or two and consistent. With the temps fluctuating that much, it will probably never fully cool down to the lowest temp. I don't think it will have the intended effect to clear the wine.

Hello RocketBee, My 1st Merlo I put coffee beans in to help mask a un pleasant palate..turned out ok. if smell is any indication of taste then this going great in this currant experiment.. the aroma from the Cotes de Blancs is lovely. Sugar
Pitched the 1118 yesterday,
Added 4 tsp pectin
3/4 cup raw sugar sprinkled on the top.
Seems ok.
Will let you know .RocketBee

no to cold ...keep it somewhere moderate and walk away. Learn to make simple syrup..

yes both at the same time, 1 teaspoon of the pectin desolve it with a1 cup of the base.

So I just took a quick look at my Fontana Chardonnay kit. I stabilized it and started the clearing process on Tuesday (three days ago). And per your instructions above, @joeswine, I added a teaspoon of pectic enzyme.

It's almost clear, just three days later.

This after added a peach Fpack and everything. Seems too quick, yes? Wondering if I did something wrong.

Last edited:
Not at all you díd it correct and Bacchus was watching.
It happens,really.

Last edited:
Oh, and there is still some positive pressure inside the carboy pushing out bubbles occasionally through the airlock. Maybe a bubble every 3-5 minutes or so. I did stabilize with the included Ksorbate. The packet of sorbate looked kind of old...wondering whether it has maybe lost some of its effectiveness...?

RocketBee,
Yes I always reduce to 5 gallon. I also use the 5 gallon water carboys Walmart sells with an air tight srew top for $7. Very easy to get around with handle.
Not the puriest I know but it works for me.

Always keep in mind that each batch of juice/ concentrate kit you make ,it's ABV. May very..

Always keep in mind that each batch of juice/ concentrate kit you make ,it's ABV. May very..

So if I understand correctly, what you're saying is that we should be keeping an eye on the original gravity measurement and carefully consider the potential alcohol and not just blindly plan on a certain volume because there may be some inconsistency in the sugar levels of the concentrate/juice between kits.

Yes?

YES...make sense, here's something to play with,after opening the next kits bag take an SG. reading before adding water, then as usual after you added the amount of deluction , Masters of the control of the process .

My Fontana Chardonnay looks like it's ready to bottle now, very clear. I'm in no hurry to bottle it and I planned to bulk-age at least three months or more. At what point during the bulk-aging process do I need to do something like add more Kmeta? Or do I just leave it alone for 3 months, 6 months or more?

Last edited:
Just leave it alone, 1month then bottle. It can age in the bottle, period.⏳ theses kits are designed to be drunk early and enjoyed.
This will then make room for the next kit.

Last edited:
RockeBee,
I have bottled 4 Fontana kits. this is the second WG Kit. To me the Base stock is better character . so far it is producing better wine to my taste. Subjective at best that's my reason.
Sugar

Latest posts

Back