Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at Wine Lovers website, they're having a sale on kits ,I was thing of buying the Sanginovese and making my cheap kit super Tuscan, along with a Merlot . We'll see.

Hi Joe, The lemon juice and pulp was from my Myers lemon tree..made Lemoncello also...yes thought about the fpac too late. so i'll just deal with it. Yep will let you know. Good sippin!! Sugar

Hello RocketBee, My 1st Merlo I put coffee beans in to help mask a un pleasant palate..turned out ok. if smell is any indication of taste then this going great in this currant experiment.. the aroma from the Cotes de Blancs is lovely. Sugar

I'm about to start a WE reserve Viognier tomorrow. I was wondering about putting in some white raisins and only making it to 5.25 gallons. If i do the raisins when would i put them in? Are there any other suggestions besides r instead of? I do have lemon, orange and tangerine trees i the backyard so peel is always an option.

Thanks Mike

First time?
zest only for first timers in the primary 5/6 gallon kit 1/2 of lemon.
Abv12%.

Last edited:
If you can green or Thompson seedless grapes one large bunch, sauteed down with 2 cups of the base for góod body structure.along with the zest in the primary.

Thanks, I have been doing kits for a while however they have been higher end kits. I wanted a every day drinker amd wasn't quite ready to drop $150+ o a kit or juice to play around.

Then you came to the right spot.Here we like to play with our wines construction and finish.
Some say if the base is good so will be the finish product.
On the other hand it's all about the process ,some say, that's also true.
Let's say their both correct ?
What if my pocket can't afford a $110 to s$200 dollar wine kit,what then?
Its all about the process and what you as the wine maker can develop the not so inexpensive wine kit into a decent everyday drinking wine. and then the planning and the fun begins.

Getting ready to rack and start the clearing process on my Fontana Chardonnay kit. @joeswine, you said that due to adding the peach FPack that the clearing process will be longer, that makes sense. Would you still just follow the instructions or maybe add some pectic enzyme to assist in clearing. I'm in no hurry and plan to bulk-age for a few months at least.

yes both at the same time, what is your outdoor temperature ? 1 teaspoon of the pectin desolve it with a1 cup of the base.

335,500 views so far there are a lot of cheap wine kits being made..................:br

Fontana Chardonnay: S.G. was right at 0.996 so it was ready for the clearing process. I started the clearing process, but before I did, I took a little taste and it was VERY tart. I assume that it will mellow out with time, but anything to be concerned about?

Let's go back,did you use lemon zest or lemon juice or none of the above.
If not give it time at it will pass.

Let's go back,did you use lemon zest or lemon juice or none of the above.
If not give it time at it will pass.
Per your recommendation a few weeks ago of one or the other but not both, I did NOT add any citrus, only the peach Fpack.
if you wanted to you could put this outside for a couple of weeks.:ib
I like this idea, wondering if I can get it past my lovely bride though. Seriously though, there is a often a large delta between the afternoon high temp and low evening temp...usually at least 30 degrees, sometimes as much as 50 degrees. Would that still be OK?

Last edited:
To be safe ,if you're saying 80 to 50 degrees,then no, cooler the better.
Give it time it should settle down.

Latest posts

Back