Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the above wine. It's not awful, it's just like.. Tart and sour? It's hard to describe. Is that how a young wine tastes?

what is your PH reading?
between the blackberries and the oak and tannins it can be a sour.

did you sauté the berries down with the base wine? it sounds like balance is what you lack.

Lwrightjs,that's not enough volumn of berries,16ozs. normal.per 5/6 gal.datch.
Jim612
You need at least 16oz.eirher fruit will do, not both.plus a hand full of raisins.ABV around 13% works out very balanced when finished and allowed to age do 8mos. to a year.or not

Thanks for your help

Patience and time are the greatest tools in a winemakers tool box.
Making wine is a simple process no matter what route you take and all winemakers tweak in one fashion or another.
These cheaper kits do make a good every day wine,that's all their meant to do in the end have fun.

Thanks for your help

Joe. I started the Mizza Luna today
Making it to 5 gallons the initial SG WAS 1.100. I add syrup to 1.120 plus the oak chips provided with the kit and 24ozs. Of sautéed blackberries. Put in the yeast provided 1118 and put on the heat belt. Will it hurt to stir in the mixture daily or do I leave it alone. Thanks again. Jim

Your ABV. Will be al in a little higher than that , it should settle down.
Process sounds good . Let the yeast do it's thing .
What are you fermenting in?

Your ABV. Will be al in a little higher than that , it should settle down.
Process sounds good . Let the yeast do it's thing .
What are you fermenting in?

Like you in a pale with heating ban covered with a towel to keep critters out

I ordered the Fontana Chardonnay kit today ($40 including shipping in US on Amazon, 11 left). I will tweak by reducing the volume to 5 gallons, adding medium toast French oak in the primary and a tablespoon of grapefruit zest in the primary. I'm also thinking about adding an Fpac as well...peach, maybe pineapple, I see @joeswine has used Thompson Seedless grapes. I read almost the whole thread and there is a consistent theme of "less is more" with these white kits, so not too sure. @joeswine would love to have your thoughts and anyone else as well.

Last edited:
Yes less is more, so far the plan is good, however check your ABV. And maker sure it's at the level you want for your wine.make it to the process you edited, use half a grapefruit and 5.5 gallons. The next kit you can move forward on.
Peaches or apricots would work.and lite on the oak.

Thompson seedless grapes make a great fpac for all white wines they add structure and body without distorting the original wines intent.
Just an☺️other tool in your tool box.

@joeswine which fpac would be your favorite/go-to for the Fontana Chardonnay? Apricots, peaches or Thompson seedless? My guess is that you would answer based upon what you want to be the outcome. Do you just want to add structure and body and stay close to the original intent or do you want to add additional flavors?

For me chardenay made with a small amount of tannins in the secondary and either fruit in the primary would work best for me.
Control the ABV to12%and all's well.this would be a well received wine in short order. Service cold and clean.

this is a new year so lets start off with something different and tasty.. I purchased these kits 50% off so its time to play with them.
PIESPORTER is the first ,, I changed out the yeast then added an APPLE FPAC... follow the flow and you'll see the changes ,should turn out clean and crisp.

Attachments

• piesporter 004.jpg
    piesporter 004.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 52
  • piesporter 006.jpg
    piesporter 006.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 43
  • piesporter 008.jpg
    piesporter 008.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 44
  • piesporter 011.jpg
    piesporter 011.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 42
  • piesporter 013.jpg
    piesporter 013.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 43
  • piesporter 015.jpg
    piesporter 015.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 44
  • piesporter 019.jpg
    piesporter 019.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 45
  • piesporter 021.jpg
    piesporter 021.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 44
  • piesporter 026.jpg
    piesporter 026.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 44
  • piesporter 028.jpg
    piesporter 028.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 44
how do you feel about the oak and what was your ABV. at the start ? other that that it sounds good. .\
who posted me about the pomegranate fpac, it got lost somewhere in the mix???

Attachments

• IMG_20141023_155351280 - Copy (2).jpg
    IMG_20141023_155351280 - Copy (2).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 25
PIESPORTER following day .....fermentation underway..

Attachments

• stuff 001.jpg
    stuff 001.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 31
  • stuff 001.jpg
    stuff 001.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 30
how do you feel about the oak and what was your ABV. at the start ? other that that it sounds good. .\
who posted me about the pomegranate fpac, it got lost somewhere in the mix???
I had what types of fpac you put into your pomegranate as I was just getting ready to start one and would like to experiment with one. Thanks

Back