Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pectin added just time , pears are not the fruit of choice, Aprecots would be smother fresh ,
about 6 to 8 sauteed with 2 cups of the base wine warm through till they start to break down the fruit then dump directly into the primary. Done, remember it will take longer to ferment out and clear. That's what wine making is all about.

Any fruit I used in a 5/ 6 gallon batch about 1lb. All Berry types blueberries about 2 lbs.

No pectin added just time , pears are not the fruit of choice, Aprecots would be smother fresh ,
about 6 to 8 sauteed with 2 cups of the base wine warm through till they start to break down the fruit then dump directly into the primary. Done, remember it will take longer to ferment out and clear. That's what wine making is all about.
Thanks. I will give that a try!

I've never used the berries the fried flowers make as n excellent. White wine enhancer.

Anyone here ever use fresh/frozen elderberries to tweak a cheap red kit?

I often use dried elderberries and I think it does add to the flavor/complexity of my reds. How? Can't really say because I honestly don't even know what elderberries taste like...have never seen fresh elderberries in South Texas!

I make the cheap Fontana Malbec kit pretty regularly. One batch turned out different, Ok but not as expected. Reviewing my notes, I had left out the dried elderberries. Your mileage may vary.

a small package of pectin came with the kit ,that's went in the primary . I also added a small amount of orange zest to the mix about ,1 table spoon. Brightens it up just enough without reducing the pear taste adds a little acidity to the mix also . At this point, I have a ways to go before fermentation is over, very low and slow ,I have plenty of time,.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 43
Hey Joe. Been reading through your thread here. Alot of great help and food for thought. Alot of members have directed me to your thread here so hopefully you'll be able to give advice.

I am about 10 batches in and the only tweeks I have tried are in the aging and oaking with some nice success. However I'm ready to venture out a bit more.

Recently I came across a nice light not super sweet Moscato that had a light citrus flavor and a little zip/fizz. I have been trying to figure out how to replicate this with a kit. And thoughts or advice would be to greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure about the fizzy, however the citrus can be accomplished by adding grapefruit zest or any other and citrus zest ( orange, lemon, tangerine) you get itto the primary.
Did you get a chance to come across the difference between the partnerships in the wine?

Is there a general rule about what can or should be added to white versus red kits?

For example, it seems one should use white raisins for whites and red raisins for reds... Oaks can be added to either..

I ordered my 1st cheap kit It's called Miracle Wine...a Sauvignon Blanc. I have a feeling it's going to be way to thin being it only comes with 2L of extract, but is suppose to make 6 gallons. Because of this, I'd like to add a few thing that may help.

Sorry to be asking, but I've never made any wine, so this is completely new to me.

Thanks!

Yes I saw the grapefruit zest. I am going to try that part. Half a grapefruit of zest I think?do I put that in during the whole primary or just part.

I did not get to the partnerships.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back