Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say try a kitchen strainer. (Or cheesecloth.) This strainer is $5 at Bed Bath and Beyond:

65345744676308p

I'd say try a kitchen strainer. (Or cheesecloth.) This strainer is $5 at Bed Bath and Beyond:

65345744676308p
I can afford that! Cheesecloth might work in that strainer, several layers, I'll try a big fpac then strain it and concentrate the juices and freeze it to use after the bulk of fermentation is done before I clear, I bet that would be sweet!

Joe, will definitely make a couple of the Strawberry fpacs this summer and give that a try. Currently have a Cru International French Rose’ on with 1/2 a Grapefruit of zest, a bit of Lemon zest and 1 1/4 Tbsn of white wine tannin. No ripe Strawberries to be had yet. It is bubbling away nicely. The last Rose’ that I did using your tweak with the Grapefruit came out great, so thought I would add that bit of Lemon zest and see what happens. I found that adding the tannin to the Rose’ adds a bit of body and improves the aftertaste.

I tried a strawberry wine years ago when I made fruit wines and always had trouble with those tiny seeds and sediment, any suggestions on that, I dont have any filtering device, I think at one point I tried securing a coffee filter on the end of my siphon hose, that was fun!
I have been making strawberry for years. Given enough time the seeds will settle.

Try cheese cloth across a strainer using a pot to pour over a bucket.
Sometimes it takes work to make a good wine and hands on is the only way.

So i have gone thru this thread allot. I'm getting ready to start a Viognier next week ad would like a tweak or two. I noticed in the profile that allot of these wines have a tangerine flavor to them. I was thinking of boosting the flavor with some tangerine to the wine. I will make 5.25 gallons of this to start so it will fill my 5 gallo carboy. Am i on point with this?

thanks for the help

Mike

So i have gone thru this thread allot. I'm getting ready to start a Viognier next week ad would like a tweak or two. I noticed in the profile that allot of these wines have a tangerine flavor to them. I was thinking of boosting the flavor with some tangerine to the wine. I will make 5.25 gallons of this to start so it will fill my 5 gallo carboy. Am i on point with this?

thanks for the help

I know with Sauvignon Blanc, Joe usually recommends adding some grapefruit zest. Maybe tangerine zest would give you the flavor you're looking for.

How much do you want the tangerine to stand out?

Last edited:
Any citrus zest is doable just remember less is more , have fun , always think outside the box.

Last edited:
Thank you. I figure what i'm going to do is separate the 5 gallons in to two batches. One will be 3 gallons the other two. I will lightly zest the 2 gallons and see how it tastes. I'm excited to try the next adventure

today I racked from the fermenter to the carboy ,for carol, a cab with blackberries and a pino Gris with grapefruit.

Have you noticed how WE/ Island Mist kits there suggesting that boosting up the ABV. Is cool for those who like their wine a little on the wine side but so you can still taste the friit!

I have been tweaking the WE Island Mist kits for years to bring ABV up to about 12% using a liter of grape concentrate and about 3-4# sugar. Seems everyone likes it plus it should improve shelf life. Wonder why WE doesn’t just produce theses kits with higher ABV so folks don’t have to boost them?

I believe at the time ( in the beginning) these style kits where directed towards the female market, thinking a little more sweeter ,less alcohol ,different target market.
It worked and slowly the ABV. Cheap up.
Then came Tweaking and thinking.

Just usein simple syrup with out the concentrate is enough without distriubing the original format.

A question on tweaking...

What tweaks would you recommend that might give a red wine a nice earthy, mushroom note?

I'm looking at possibly tweaking a Pinot Noir kit but I'm not a fan of most California Pinot Noirs (too much fruit, not enuff earth). Oregon and Washington are better but my preferred are French Burgundies. Of course like most, I can't afford to them!

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Add some Italian plums they'll give you that earthyness if you can't find them dried plums will work , make an fpac with them my style.

Thanks! Much appreciated. Really looking forward to trying this out next month.

Currently got a WE Pinot Grigio stablizing/fining. Dry as a bone and about 1-1.5% higher ABV than what was advertised. Degassing was a :m!

First time kit so only tweak was a light dusting of grapefruit rinds in what would've been the secondary fermentation.

Thanks again.

getting the best of the zest only

Attachments

• P1030114.JPG
    P1030114.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 47
  • P1030116.JPG
    P1030116.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 48