Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoew much

usually these kits are a 6 gallon /4 week contender, but I brake them down to a 5 gallon starter volume to increase the concentrate and in crease the flavor profile then boost the abv, in the primary.

So after the primary with only 5 gallons, do you add another gallon back in the carboy? Or do you keep it there to keep it thicker. I tried wine from one of these and they do seem to be very thin. Or can you add enymes to help if become more full and rounded. Or both?

The key is the ABV on reducing the volume won't effect the mouthful is the base is not highly concentrated 9t won't make a difference.
However it can help .
As far as thiching , glucose Food grade works.

Hey joeswine!

In early December, I bought a 60 bottle/12 gal Shiraz kit at Costco for 60$. I did half exactly like the instructions said, turned out surprisingly nice.

The other half, I brought the volume down to 5 gal, added a pound of raisins, tannins and it's now sitting on oak chips. All I can say is WOW! Totally different glass of wine. I'm sold on the idea!

So I've been eyeing a chardonnay kit, and I think I'll be picking one up next time we go grocery shopping.

What is your go-to recipe for enhancing a cheap Chardonnay? I really appreciate any input.
I quite often use the same kits and they are fun to tweak during aging...my 3-year-old oaked Shiraz is wonderful.

I quite often use the same kits and they are fun to tweak during aging...my 3-year-old oaked Shiraz is wonderful.

That's very encouraging. Im pretty impressed with the value in these wine kits. Have you messed with them much or do you tend to follow the instructions? I left mine on oak a little too long, but hoping it ages well.

I read on the forum how some people had used some of their over oaked wines for blending, and kick themselves in the butt for wasting it later on after it ages out. Fingers crossed.

I racked my chardonnay to secondary today. I'm actually impressed with it and might not mess with it at all. Going to mix up the second batch tomorrow if I have time.

I bought two Winexpert Selection Valroza winemaking kit off Craigslist at half retail. They were unloading a bunch of different kits but the others did not interest me. What are thoughts on tweaking this kit? It is an upgrade from Winexpert Vinters Reserve. I would probably add Zante Currants, Tannin, and maybe more oak.
Thanks, David

Blackcurrant leaves, elderflowers and gooseberry are aroma flavors often found in sauvignon blanc.

I am considering to make a FPAC for a cheap Sauvignon Blanc wine kit. To highlight these flavors. The FPAC should consist of:

1/2 cup leaves of blackcurrant (heated to 80C (176F) or soaked in 80 proof alcohol).
1/2 cup elderflowers (heated to 80C (176F) or soaked in 80 proof alcohol).
300 g gooseberry boiled at low heat for 10 min.

I will also scale down the kit from 6 to 5 gal. In addition to this I will add:

To primary:
2 unmature walnuts,
20 g oak chips,
1 g tannin blanc,
Zest of 1/2 grapefruit.

To secondary:
20 g oak chips to secondary.

Any thoughts on this? To crazy? To much gooseberry?

Regards
Ole

Joe,

Wanted to thank you and all the others for this thread. It's been very helpful and has already answered many of my questions.

Of course as a noob, I have many other questions! :eek: (yes, I've read this thread but could've missed something!)

A couple of questions that would help my upcoming project (a Tempranillo - WE World kit). Looking to make a Sweet Tempranillo to replace my standby that's been discontinued.

I noticed you suggested to a recent poster not to reduce his Valroza kit from 6 to a 5 but add currants for that particular red. Was that because it was higher quality kit or just that type of red?

Second question is I've noticed that you don't back sweeten. Was looking at using a wine conditioner to finish off this kit so I could better control the sweetness. I wasn't able to find if you gave your thoughts on back sweetening or not.

If you have please point me in the right direction. I read this forum on my cell so it's easily possible I just missed it.

Thanks

Big Mac

Put the Elderberry flowers in the secondary.and let it sit for1 month..
Make the primary straight up no changes.

Afd nothing else it should turn out delicious , I've made it before this way

Last edited:
Put the Elderberry flowers in the secondary.and let it sit for1 month..
Make the primary straight up no changes.

Afd nothing else it should turn out delicious , I've made it before this way

I have tried Sauvignon-blanc with added elderflowers before. Like you recommend Joe. I took (1-)2 cups of fresh flower. Heated to 80C in water and added to primary for 3 weeks.
The result was very good. It tastes almost like an elderflower-wine. I can recommend people to try that, if they like the smell of elderflowers.

This time I will use less elderflowers and supplement the flowers with something else that also go well with sauvignon blanc.

And thoughts on using blackcurrant leaves, and gooseberry?

Hey Joe. Really nice and educating thread.
Have you ever tried to use "strong" black tea as tannin in a red wine kit? I used it in primary one time when I had no tannin at home. The wine was really good, but I do not know if it was helping or if it would have the same taste anyway, or if it would taste even better with a standard powder tannin from chestnut (or what they use in commercial tannin products).

Thanks, I will. I was on a commercial wine festival today. A lot of interesting tastes. But, the only thing i really think my wines lack against the commercial ones, is the drying mouthfeel. They had wines from nok 150,- to nok 800,-. 800,- nok is about 100 $ i think. In the USA the same wine cost about 400 $ I think. We have a lot tax here on alcohol..

Latest posts

Back