Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, if you are asking about Homewinery each bottle is supposed to make a 5 gallon batch. I usually combine a Homewinery jug with a fresh juice pail skimping on the water to make really sure I do not have a thin wine. I usually include several tweaks I learned from your pages also. I like skewing the flavor profile to match my personal preferences. Zest is my ultimate favorite fixer upper. My Sauvignon Blanc went from ok to Oh My when I added my homemade grapefruit zest extract.

Pam in cinti

Joe...128 ozs is a gallon...their site says 64 oz jug makes 5 gallons...so 12.8 oz per gallon

a cup is 8 oz, so about a cup and half

and you do have to add sugar, but you know all about that!

They told me that it freezes well,my plan was to make four batches and use the whole jug. I also made some vino with there elderberry syrup as a tweek (with some fresh berries as well) -have not tried it yet but it has a unique boquet that reminds me somewhat of Teaberry gum! I will do these again.

They told me that it freezes well,my plan was to make four batches and use the whole jug. I also made some vino with there elderberry syrup as a tweek (with some fresh berries as well) -have not tried it yet but it has a unique boquet that reminds me somewhat of Teaberry gum! I will do these again.

I have a few in the freezer... but do yours actually freeze solid? Mine are still soft despite a couple months in the freezer. I assume this is normal?

hahahah glad I saw this, but you just cost me $100 bucks! I've been following this thread and planning to buy a Fontana kit to tweak (I started this hobby in Aug and already have 48 gallons going and have a kit on the shelf and dragons blood ready to go) but have been delaying ---- you just made me impulse buy a merlot, cab and pinot grigio! Time to devise our plan! :h

My kits arrived last week, currently on the shelves but would like to get one started shortly, just not sure which. My initial reaction was that the boxes are rather small vs the other kits I've ever done, but that's of course expected.

Has anyone thought of tweaks for either? From my reading looks like for a pinot grigio common is to included some dried apricots. For the merlot, some fresh berries. Any other thoughts from the pro tweakers?

okay people lets help Throwdown out with good tweaks for the pino, how about a little grapefruit zest in the secondary, Merlot, currents 1/2 cup ,wine tannins and French oak, ANYONE ELSE????? keep it deep dark and woody.:db

2 add to the pan - Copy (2).jpg

8 finished f pak - Copy.jpg

9  Add to bag - Copy (2).jpg

3.jpg

16 Raisins.jpg

17 Powdered Oak.jpg

IMG_20160226_155808675.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
okay people lets help Throwdown out with good tweaks for the pino, how about a little grapefruit zest in the secondary, Merlot, currents 1/2 cup ,wine tannins and French oak, ANYONE ELSE????? keep it deep dark and woody.:db

Thanks Joe - and any ideas for tweaking a cab?

Has anyone thought of tweaks for either? From my reading looks like for a pinot grigio common is to included some dried apricots. For the merlot said:
I added blackberries to the merlot & black cherries to the cab. I was questionable on the size of box as well but the juice in the Wine Lovers is thick! I mean thick - never had that before! I did not have to add any simple syrup to get the SG up.
The Chard & Pinot G I'm making without tweaks just to see how they are all by themselves. I am only doing 5 gals though which I kinda wish I had done one at 6 gal just to compare body - may order another just to compare.
Let us know what you do!

joeswine, thanks for the major effort in posting. I don't follow all your doing but I see this is what I'm looking for. Will study and acquire the products you list and will soon get it together. I think it's time for the 5 gallon jug. Fran

Plenty of time,of you have questions about cheap wine Kit's just ask plenty of us have done them.

The Riesling is now bottled.

I had no issues with carbonation in this carboy and it cleared VERY quickly for me. I have to think the temperature transition from cold cellar to basement (<10C to 20C) helped the CO2.

The tweaks on this one:
> Started as a juice bucket (Magnotta) pre-inoculated with EC1118 Oct 2.
> Poured over the lees of a Sauv Blanc with R-HST yeast
> Added about 5g Tartaric Acid
> Fermented dry and, in secondary, added zest from ~1/4 lemon
> racked with some Sparkelloid
> Topped up with commercial wine (Italian Pinot Gris)

I got 25.5 bottles out of it.
I've a stuffed nose so, to me, it tastes like a light table wine. Nothing offensive at all about it.

Both my wife and my dad really liked it. My dad could pick up a light scent of lemon (I could smell nothing). My wife stole 5 bottles but the rest went to my dad.

I think I'll make it again.

I took some wines around for Christmas this year and just for grins, I pulled the labels off. When asked what they were I simple said white or red. All were very well liked.

What was funny was every one wanted to know what vineyard made it...they thought it was retail wine. They were miffed that I would not tell them what type of wine it was...it was a Pinot Gris and a blown out Cab Sav....two of the cheapest kits I've made. Folks were sitting around the table tasting talking and cussing.

it seemed to really bother a few of them that I wouldn't tell them about the wines. Which kinda backs up my wine snob theory. If you like it its good, if you don't it ain't...just that simple to me.

Back on point...have another Fontana Malbec kit to start on Christmas Eve....love that kit with Joe's tweaks.

Yes when it's done right the difference is not noticeable and the cost savings are,do you agree. Merry xmas to all you cheap wine tweaks and a have a safe and prosperous new year. In the New year I'm going to do a Grand Cru Sangiovese and a Zinfandel Blush along with a Diablo Rojo this will have been the second one of these kits I have done only this time I'm going to take it in a different direction, deep and woody with an ABV to boot. Very similar to a Malbec or Cabernay.Also on the table is a WE /Blackberry Desert Wine also the second one I've made only this time will take it a step further..now you have time to follow or join me when I start the next year in Tweaking Cheap Wine Kits.

1.jpg

1 (2).jpg

IMG_20161109_195757899.jpg

IMG_20161109_200141982.jpg

Last edited:
@Joeswine
So you like these Grand Cru kits as a step up from something like the Fontana?

This Is my first time to try these,not A bad price will see what happens,its all in good taste

IMG_20161109_195757899.jpg

IMG_20161109_200141982.jpg

1.jpg

1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
lets review some that has been complete
THIS IS ONE OF MANY INEXPENSIVE WINE KITS WE HAVE DONE WITH GREAT SUCCESS ONE OF THE KEY POINTS WE LEARNED EARLY ON WAS NOT TO MAKE IT AS A 6 GALLON KIT BUT AS A 5 GALLON KIT WE FOUND AT A SIX GALLON VOLUMN IT WAS TO THIN AND TASTE LESS, NOT MUCH TO SPEAK OF ACTUALLY A WASTE OF MONEY .SO BY REDUCING THE VOLUNM WE INCREASE THE FLAVOR PROFILE (GAINED TASTE) ADDED BETTER BALANCE BETWEEN THE OAK AND THE ALCOHOL LEVEL.
FOLLOW THE TWEAKS AND TAKE YOUR TIME AND YOU TO WILL SEE THAT YOU CAN MAKE A DECENT WINE AT A VERY REASONABLE COST.I HAVE MADE A GEAT DEAL OF KITS AND NO MATTER WHAT THE STARTING PRICE RANGE A WINEMAKER ALWAYS TWEAKS WEATHER YOU’RE A PRO, OR A CELLAR DWELLAR YOU TWEAK BAR NONE.FOLLOW THE FLOW AND AS ALWAYS THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

8 HOURS LATER FERMENTATION UNDERWAY GREAT AROMA AND CAP THE BLEND OF OAK, CURRENTS TANNINS AND CAPITOLIZATION WILL MAKE THIS CHEAP KIT ALL IT CAN BE.NOW WE WAIT.
d with decent results.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2A.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

7A.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg