Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
matttc

Similar question here... if you could get that to dryness, that would be 19.5% ABV, but it's probably going to stall out. I don't know anything about Sangiovese; are you trying to get a sweet wine? If you want a sweet wine, isn't it better to run it dry and then backsweeten - gives you more control?
this is not to be confused with the cheaper kits here is the flow below......

Winexpert Sangiovese

Here is the beginning of the process. We are starting with an inexpensive wine kit from Wine Expert- World Vineyard. It's an Italian Sangiovese. My friend, Katie (Neviawen from the forum here) was here at my house to document the process for us all. I will include pictures throughout the making of this kit, as well as what we are going to do to take an inexpensive kit and make great wine from it.

Step 1: We have acquired our kit, sanitized everything, and laid out all of our tools before we started.

Step2: Added 1/2 gallon of hot water to my fermentation bucket and added bentonite. Stirred until no clumps.

Step 3: Opened up the bag of "grape juice" and dumped into the bucket and stirred.

Step 4; Added 1/2 gal of spring water to the empty bag (where the juice came from, to rinse it out) and swished it around. Added that to the bucket and stirred.

Step 5: Topped the bucket off w/ spring water to the 6 gallon mark and stirred more.

Step 6: Took our specific gravity reading. Posted that on our hanging tag.

Step 7: Added 2 bags of oak chips and pitched the yeast. (sprinkled it on top, do not stir).

Step 8: Cover the top of the bucket with a clean towel. This will prevent anything from falling into it.

Then we wait 5-7 days. We will then move onto the next phase.

Next:
Ok, today is 7 days from when we started this kit. We took our specific gravity reading and it is at 1.028. Slowly it's fermenting dry.
I also put up a picture of what the bucket looks like right now. You can see there are some bubbles and oak chips floating on top. It smells great! Stay tuned- it will be going into the carboy for secondary fermentation soon..

Next:
Sorry this was so late getting posted. I had a few hectic weeks. I did manage to take the pictures to keep up with the process. Here we go- it’s getting interesting!

10 days after we started this kit, we checked the Specific Gravity and it is 1.000- it is almost dry. Now is when we add the raisons and powdered oak (wine tannin powder). We are using 1 pound of black raisons (you can use white raisons for white wines) and we are using 4 tbsp. of the powdered oak.

Here is a picture of the powdered oak and raisons at the bottom of our carboy.

For our demonstration we are using the auto-syphon instead of my wine pump. This is the most basic tool for this job and is what most beginner home winemakers have handy. Transferring the wine from the primary fermentation bucket to the carboy helps to degas the wine.

When you get to the bottom of the bucket when syphoning, you can use wedges to prop up one end of the bucket. This helps you get the most out of your wine.

We now have our wine in the 6 gallon carboy. Let’s stir it up good to get all the raisons and powdered oak mixed well. This also will help degas more.

We are using a 6 gallon carboy but only have a 5 gallon batch of wine. I am filling the remaining 1 gallon of headspace with Nitrogen.Once this is racked again it will go into a 5 gallon carboy.

As always, we write our latest specific gravity reading on our tag and hang it on the carboy.

Cover the carboy up with a towel to keep light out.

Next:
Sangiovese Update: My oh My! It's tasty so far!
Here's our observation:
There was a heavy body to it, medium tanins, nice bite and a zing of acidity. It will be a good wine when aged.
Here's a few pictures. But first, let's explain what were looking at.
There are 3 pictures here. One the side of the glass in the pictures you will notice a "clear smear". This is what we call the wine's "legs". Having these when you tip a glass of wine indicates that the wine has good body and alchohol content.
Next, you will notice the "age line". This is the line that is between the surface of the wine and the distance to the color of the wine. The smaller this line is, the longer your wine has aged. You will see in our pictures that this wine is still very young yet the ring is close. That is the difference in a kit; they are made to age quick so you can drink them faster.

Final step to our Sangiovese kit: Bottling!

Before we started, we got all the tools out of our toolbox that we would need. We also sanitized all our bottles and had them ready.
What we had ready before we started:
Sanitized Bottles
Funnel
Ferrari Bottle Filler
Long Stirring wand
seals
corks
Packets of Sorbate and K-Met that came with the kit
my bottle sealing tool (don't know what it's called but it holds the seal on top the bottle while I dip it into boiling water), notice we didn't filter, that's because we racked down to clear.

Next, we dumped the 2 packets of ingredients into the carboy and gave it a stir w/ the wand (I didn't take a picture of this, you all know how to just give it a stir.)

I then placed the Ferrari bottling tool on top of an empty bottle, put the larger hose into the carboy and applied suction to the smaller hose to start the syphon. Once the wine starts to flow I place this smaller hose into an empty bottle just so it's out of the way.

What is great about this tool is that once a bottle is full it automatically stops the wine flow so that it doesn't overflow. You will see that it gets to a certain level in the little chamber and then it stops filling. When this happens you put the Ferrari tool into the next bottle and proceed.

When you have all bottles filled, you cork them. Once they are corked you seal them.

Fit the seal over the bottle, I use a tool that holds the seal on top the bottle for me as I dip them into boiling water. I dip it in, give it one twist real quick and pull it out. (Literally takes 2 seconds and it's sealed.)

18 added to carboy.jpg

Cheap kits

fruit and wine have been around for centuries .follow the flow as take this kit to the next level. Couldn't delete the bottom pic,they were 1 gallon kits from a different thread.

this kit is in the secondary notice the belly band it helps greatly in getting a good fermentation, if you don't have one make it a point to buy one ,excellent tool in the tool box.

1.jpg

1a.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8a.jpg

9.jpg

11a.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:
Ok Joe, you usually say to use the EC-1118 yeast. Why the change this time to the Cotes? Also, I believe you usually say to use 1 cup oak and 1 Tbsp tannin, but in the Sangiovese response you said to use 2 and 2.

FYI I have my Fontana Malbec on it's way. I will get it going in a couple of weeks and keep you/everyone posted.

You have created a bunch of "cheap kit" monsters now.

Keeping in form with the profile my friend ,using a fruit in the primary blueberries and the base a shàraz what better than a yeast with good quailitiy for both components, make sense? That was 2 bags supply by the mFG.2 tablespoons of tannins in the secondary I believe. Have fun with the kit, I know you know how to think outside the box.

also my threads are length and sometimes hard to follow even for me ,yet alone a new comer, so I leave for the most part the yeast intervention out of the equations.it can get confusing.

Last edited:
pino nior profiles

lets talk for a moment about profiles especially a pino noirs,imagine if you will this in your glass:h

PINOT NIOR, elevated aromas of plum,red cherries, bitter collocate,and spice define the intense varietal character of this full body wine. Fermented on Hungarian oak with winery grade yeast ,the palate is rich and oaky, supported by blackberries and herb flavors layered over silky,integrated tannins.
what I was trying to get at on the cheap wines thread was that a wines profile is what it is understanding how to get there is another story all together, cheap kit, moderately price kit or top of the line ,it doesn't matter ,once you have the basics down to a science then it's play time just like every master wine maker out there they start with a base (good or not so good even excellent vintage) and develop the flavor profile from that point forward, we can do the same thing only we need to improvise or as we call it tweaking. They do it on a very large scale compared to us, but they do it all the same. NOW go back and read that profile does that sound thin to you??

1.jpg

IMG_20141219_170520556.jpg

1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Cheap kits

OK lets get back on track here's my blueberry MALBEC,at this point its in the secondary and just about degassed two more weeks and we bottle ,so follow the flow and think outside the box.

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

8a.jpg

9.jpg

11a.jpg

12.jpg

OK lets get back on track here's my blueberry MALBEC,at this point its in the secondary and just about degassed two more weeks and we bottle ,so follow the flow and think outside the box.

Joe,
Don't you mean blueberry Shiraz, not Malbec.

blueberry Shiraz

thank you for the correction sometimes I can't even follow my own thoughts, I was thinking about the blueberry cabernet still in the secondary also, thanks again, I have a lot of wine files.:HB when you think of me adding blueberries stop and understand that what I'm doing is not just adding a little flavor but creating more body to the wine ultimately. the berries when concentrated become thicker and that's what they add, a little taste balance but a little more body as well

Last edited:
Joe,
Can the Côtes des Blancs handle the higher ABV? It has a tolerance of 14%. With a starting SG of 1.10 if it ferments to 0.990, it would be just over 14%. Will that be a problem? I'm new, so I don't know how hard and fast those Alcohol Tolerance percentages are. Is yours done fermenting? What did it end up at?

I've been waiting to see what you did, so I can start mine. Thanks so much for sharing!

blueberry Shiraz

somewhere around 1.01 still had some work to do but was almost completed I never wait for my wine to go dry in the primary this way I can still control the flow of the process remember this was a gallon 6 kit started at a 5 gallon mark will let you know Monday or Tuesday what the initial finding will be on all kits that are headed to the finish line or very near, stay toned.:db
redrockgirl

Racked the Malbec

Racked the Malbec this morning...

I was at 1.000 after 6 days. I started with exactly 5 gal of juice, so with the currants soaking some up and leaving some sludge behind, I've got more headspace in the carboy. I'm thinking that will be fine for now, but I'll top up when I rack again. I transitioned my american oak (cubes) into the secondary to give them some more time; BTW I realized 5oz of oak was probably too much (can always add more) and cut that in half on day 2 in the primary.

20160130_084233.jpg

20160130_084310.jpg

Mattyc

IT LOOKS PROMISING WHAT DO YOU THINK SO FAR? DO YOU HAVE NITROGEN OR A HEAD SPACE ELIMINATOR TO USE? YOU STILL NEED TIME TO DEGAS MORE.:db WHAT WAS THE AMOUNT OF CURRENTS YOU USE? DID YOU CHECK YOUR PH?

I Read all ten pages so far & I am hooked

This thread is dedicated solely for the purpose of inexpensive wine kits regardless of brand and what you can do as a beginner, as a novice, or experienced winemaker to "think outside the box" and create a good wine on an economical budget. Anybody can create a good wine with an expensive kit, the premise behind this thread is to show ways to enhance, correct, and ultimately make a descent bottle of every day wine at very little cost. The average kit for what we will post on this thread costs approximately $45.00. Using amazon prime, shipping was free.

Remember, this thread is dedicated to inexpensive wine kits and experiences we have had making them. Please feel free to comment on these kits, ask questions, etc., and most importantly, provide your input of what you have done (or have not done) when tweaking these kits.
:db Yours truly, Joeswine and Neviawen :f

Joe you certainly have some really great ideas. I am ready to experiment too. A long time ago i did kit wine, it was just barely okay. Been using only grapes for years with very good results. Maybe now with some of your pointers I'll be able to make something more drinkable out of a kit and save some $$$ while doing it. This way some of the equipment won't just sit and wait until the next crush.
Thank you.

Joe you certainly have some really great ideas. I am ready to experiment too. A long time ago i did kit wine, it was just barely okay. Been using only grapes for years with very good results. Maybe now with some of your pointers I'll be able to make something more drinkable out of a kit and save some $$$ while doing it. This way some of the equipment won't just sit and wait until the next crush.
Thank you.

There is an old saying your never to old to learn or to young, if you would like, by a kit ,form a plan and the first one we can do together at least in print.

IT LOOKS PROMISING WHAT DO YOU THINK SO FAR? DO YOU HAVE NITROGEN OR A HEAD SPACE ELIMINATOR TO USE? YOU STILL NEED TIME TO DEGAS MORE.:db WHAT WAS THE AMOUNT OF CURRENTS YOU USE? DID YOU CHECK YOUR PH?

No, I don't use nitrogen or a headspace eliminator. The CO2 is still coming off pretty fast, so I'm not concerned. I'll top up with something similar when I rack next time.

Acid reading of pH=3.42 and TA 0.7 when I pitched yeast. Down to pH=3.10 with TA still at 0.7 after primary. Added 1Tbsp of tannin when I went into secondary as well. (My son was stirring and we had a fun little wine volcano as well :h)

I used 10oz of currants - entire box.

This tastes really good so far. I have some trouble sorting out the fizz and the yeasty-ness, I trust that will get easier with experience. However, I do recall that the first kit I ever did (the Fontana Cab Sauv - per instructions) tasted no good. I wasn't sure at the time - I thought "everybody says it's bad to start". But now 9 months later it's still no good and has some off flavors and is very thin!

Last edited:
Take you time just let it set a week or two with a bubbler on top and let it recovered there's plenty of time, there's plenty of gas to go around .this will take a little longer to degas do to the decreased volume,,got it!

Last edited:
Here's how it works .adding it to the primary gives the best result, but adding to the secondary is also another way to use it .let's take it from the top, in the primary can add to the actual flavor as well as the acidty usually the zest of one grapefruit is used. Secondary usage, gives a better balance in flavor and acidty, either way it works well for white wines, you need to experience the differences on your own, think outside the box.

Joe,

Thanks for the zest suggestions. Used it on a NZ sauvignon blanc with orange and lime zest that had been bulk storing for five months. Wife thought it needed more fruit flavor. Added zest for a couple of weeks, racked and let it sit until last night to make sure all sediment was dropped. Bottled last night and we took a little taste and it did wonders for this wine. The PG I started with grapefruit zest is much better as well. Thanks!

In the mix

mattyc, do you still have the cab ? if you want we can try to make it right,? want to give it a go?:ib

1.jpg

fruit and wine have been around for centuries .follow the flow as take this kit to the next level. Couldn't delete the bottom pic,they were 1 gallon kits from a different thread.

this kit is in the secondary notice the belly band it helps greatly in getting a good fermentation, if you don't have one make it a point to buy one ,excellent tool in the tool box.

Joe,
What does your final Fontana pinot grigio look like. Unlike most kits, mine is not clear and is very yellow for a pinot grigio. Not a great color. Looks more like a chardonnay than a pinot grigio. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back