Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frankly I would have thought the ABV. would have been a bit higher ,the choice of yeast is good ,it's also low foaming.
where are you now in the process???//

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 32
All sounds well, ABV I w thought have been higher , yeast is ok low foaming.
Just let time do it's job and wait and see what happens.

Today I started a quadruple batch of Sauvignon Blanc (WE Vintner's Reserve) under the careful tutelage of Master Tweaker, Joe. This is my first attempt at tweaking a "cheap" kit and I am excited to see how it progresses. The tweaks I employed were adding 4# of white grapes, crushed and cooked down by 30%, the zest of two grapefruit (I know, the picture looks like orange zest, but it is grapefruit), toasted American oak chips and Hungarian oak powder. I did not change the yeast that came with the kit (EC-1118). I have this all in my 32 gallon fermenter, ET 2 Brute. We'll see how it goes!

Attachments

• 100_1366.JPG
    100_1366.JPG
    911.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_1367.JPG
    100_1367.JPG
    930.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_1369.JPG
    100_1369.JPG
    871.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_1370.JPG
    100_1370.JPG
    979.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_1371.JPG
    100_1371.JPG
    976.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_1372.JPG
    100_1372.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
  • 100_1373.JPG
    100_1373.JPG
    738.8 KB · Views: 54
frankly I would have thought the ABV. would have been a bit higher ,the choice of yeast is good ,it's also low foaming.
where are you now in the process???//
Just made it on Sunday it’s starting to foam and bubble smells good
It’s possible I read the ABV wrong it was the last batch after a long day of bottling racking and mixing 7 different batches

The Sauvignon Blanc is doing well. I measured the SG today (1.095) and it was slightly higher than the first reading (1.092) probably due to the grape pack (or maybe operator error!). One new wrinkle in these kits that I have not seen before is that the Sorbate and the Sulfite are in one packet. I do not use Sorbate, so I will have to use sulfite from my own supply.

Reminder, the mfg. Doesn't no who's making their kit or their experience yet alone the environment that the batch is being made in.
Also it saves 1 small bag and printings for them,I guess it keeps cost down?
I've never not used all the chems that came with the kits ,a couple of hundred of them,but that's me

I have been reading some articles that indicate using Bentonite post fermentation might be better, but the 5 kits instructions that I have done state mixing in the must before fermentation. Has anyone tweaked kits by postponing bentonite util after it has stabilized and aged a few months? If so did you use less bentonite and have less lees than pre fermentation? Any advise would be appreciated.

"Bentonite addition to juice can be successful but note that juice contains many types of protein that will naturally precipitate out of solution during fermentation without the need for bentonite. Thus, much higher rates of bentonite are often required."
https://www.awri.com.au/industry_su...ces/frequently_asked_questions/fining_agents/

"Over-fining at this stage by using too much bentonite may lower amino nitrogen content of the juice. A lack of yeast assimilable nitrogen can cause the production of hydrogen sulfide and its associated stink. Settling and racking the freshly pressed white juice is probably a safer route to clearer white wine than is a bentonite addition to juice."

https://winemakermag.com/technique/1360-fining-techniques

I have been reading some articles that indicate using Bentonite post fermentation might be better, but the 5 kits instructions that I have done state mixing in the must before fermentation. Has anyone tweaked kits by postponing bentonite util after it has stabilized and aged a few months? If so did you use less bentonite and have less lees than pre fermentation? Any advise would be appreciated.

"Bentonite addition to juice can be successful but note that juice contains many types of protein that will naturally precipitate out of solution during fermentation without the need for bentonite. Thus, much higher rates of bentonite are often required."
https://www.awri.com.au/industry_su...ces/frequently_asked_questions/fining_agents/

"Over-fining at this stage by using too much bentonite may lower amino nitrogen content of the juice. A lack of yeast assimilable nitrogen can cause the production of hydrogen sulfide and its associated stink. Settling and racking the freshly pressed white juice is probably a safer route to clearer white wine than is a bentonite addition to juice."

https://winemakermag.com/technique/1360-fining-techniques

Bentonite can also help preserver the color in red wines, I've been told. If it is in the kit for primary fermentation I use it. After primary, I have to prefer time and gravity to clear my wines. i also add yeast nutrients to my batches also... so like of nitrogen is not a problem.

In kit with wines usually nutrients aren't required.
Tweaking isn't an art form,it's a fun time.
Chems, used as directed and we're required that's the code for kits.s

Moved my tweaked Sauvignon Blanc to the secondary fermenters. Yielded just under 23 gallons but with the amount of sediment, I expect to lose another 1-2 gallons by bottling time. Wine is looking very good and has a great aroma at this point. Relative humidity is at 74% and ambient temperature is 69 F. Carboys from left to right are the order in which they came out of the primary fermenter. That is, the "first run" is on the left and the "dregs" is on the right.

Attachments

• 100_1378.JPG
    100_1378.JPG
    814.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1379.JPG
    100_1379.JPG
    737.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_1381.JPG
    100_1381.JPG
    928.5 KB · Views: 54
Split a wineexpert kit into 5 units .. two weeks ago ... fermented one fith, stored remaining kit juice in four 2 ltr pet pop bottles with an insulating layer of nuteral gas ( my scotch is jealous ) .. posted about this .. was a thread about four years ago .. little info on splitting kits in the fourm ...

Paid very close attention to avoiding adding O2 and sanitation .. no nasties growing in the split containers .. they are sealed well .. kit is good till 6/20 so the fun begins .. first fermentation is to establish a level ..

Kit was Italian Sangiovesse .. no settlement in kit bag .. between extractions of 2ltr amounts , body of juice was gently stirred avoiding O2 insertion, and to make sure that kit sugars did not layer.

My experience falls to inmate wine using quality juice ( Lakewood cherry etc. ) so a split kit is a lot less expensive to use for five 4 ltr experiments in tweaking .. juice is pre balanced , and I have a level starting platform .. having fun ..

Just bought a the RJS Muscat kit (basically Moscato). How do you suggest I tweak it? Any ideas for tweaking Moscato?

Rocky, what's your time frames

Lwrightjs, keep it simple, your kit will probably turn out sweet, typical, use simple syrup to post the #abv to 10%that will help balance out the sweetness, add some orange zest that will add acidity and background and will help round out the finish.

Crackermonkey, how is your batch doing where are you in the process?

Joe, the SG is just under 1.000 and I was going to wait until 11-25 or 11-26 to rack off the gross lees. I expect the SG to be at or near 0.997 at which time I will de-gas, stabilize with K-meta and then bulk age for about 6 months with one racking in between.

Back