Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fontana Malbec racked to secondary fermenter last night. original (starting) SG 1.108, my current SG 0.996.
Once racked into the secondary, I'm not getting any CO2 bubbling. I am thinking I should have racked it a little earlier. I added 1 T tannin (mixed) and put the air lock in place. Where can I get the Malo bacteria I need to jump start the MLF?

Sour grapes is correct most kits do not require MLF let the kit set for another week it's not going anywhere and then do what you need to do.

Anyone else notice that the Fontana kits have gone up to $47 and no longer free shipping via prime? I just noticed that the price is at $40 today with $50 for shipping! May just be because I live in Alaska.

Anyone else notice that the Fontana kits have gone up to $47 and no longer free shipping via prime? I just noticed that the price is at $40 today with $50 for shipping! May just be because I live in Alaska.
The price has been jumping around quite a bit the last month as I've watched it. Depends on whether Amazon has them in stock or you have to get them from other sellers too.

Have my Rose kit in the primary fermenter, very slow fermentation as our temps in South Texas are unseasonably low. Will not be using the usual timing, but go by the SG. Not in a hurry. Temperature in the room is around 67-68 F. Did put a small thermostat controlled heater in there set at 70. Fermentation picked up a bit. Time is definitely my friend in this.

Very true, have taken care to sanitize the fermenter and all tools, plus washed my hands of course.

What I mean by sanitation is make sure everything is clean this is not a major surgical operation if you take a look at the operations in normal winery & sanitation is pretty vague okay but it's still there ,that's from know what you're doing if you take a look a your process.

Yes, that’s what I thought you meant. Am using our spare bathroom for the beer and wine brewing, so easy to keep neat, tidy and sanitary. The basic process is to sanitize the area, the equipment, and keep it that way. The monitoring process for additional SG measurements is the major difference between normal fermentation and when it is colder and longer than normal.

Do not reuse the dead Debra from the previous wines , not advisable.thats why there in the bottom of the pot.

I've noticed the "Wine Lovers" brand kits disappeared from Amazon as well. Wonder whats going on, is it a seasonal thing?

Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for this thread. It's been very helpful. I purchased a cheap shiraz kit at Costco a while back, 60 bottles for 60$. I made the first half exactly as per directions, it turned out ok. The other half I dropped the volume to 5 gal, added a pound of raisins to primary and added extra tannins to secondary. Still bulk aging but side by side comparison taste testing is night and day. The tweaked batch is much better.

Remember when Tweaking always check your ABV. To match your taste and That's what makes the difference.
Always remember less is more when it comes to enhancement.

Thanks joe.

I always check sg.The batch as per directions came started out at 1.084, tweaked Kit at 1.095, plus the raisins. Much better body and taste

I've been brewing beer, fruit wines, skeeter pee etc... for over a decade now. Im a do it yourself kind of guy. This was my first go at a wine kit and this tweaking aspect made it even more fun for me. I'll probably experiment with a few more as i wait for my vines to grow.

:b

Going to start a Fontana Merlot tomorrow. Planning on a 1lb blackberry FPac in the primary. Would you add Zante Currants to that as well? It seems like I've seen a 1/2 cup suggested for this.

Standard 5 gallon tweak, with tannins in primary and secondary also.

Yes Joe I agree I'd have to see what it ends up after the primary, that's a bit low for an MLF but with these cheap "drinkers" I skip that expensive step. Also having that low of PH + high alcohol means I have less sulfite requirements for aging. Also there are alot of grape skins in that kit so I'm gonna do an extended maceration for around 8 weeks. I did this with a few skin kits and they taste ready to drink after that. It really mellows everything out.

Does "extended maceration" mean that you leave the grape skins in the primary fermenter for 8 weeks? How do you rack out of the primary with all the skins in the mix?

Can you add tannin during bulk aging? After clearing? Is it the same recommendations for tannin for both red and white wine?

Does it make a difference to a wine if you age in carboy or bottle?

Latest posts

Back