Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the past couple of years, I've been brewing Fontana kits, either Malbec or Pinot, and Chardonnay. The only tweaking I do is oaking, both in primary and after stabilizing.

I try to keep it simple for these wines for a couple of reasons. They are our everyday table wines, and I want to keep the cost down. Our expectations are not very high and mainly want something quaffable, rather than try to turn them into something they're not. We lived for a while in rural Italy and sort of developed a reverse-wine-snob attitude. Allow me to explain.

Most people in rural Italy (at least the ones we associated with), if they didn't have their own vines, just bought their wine from the contadino up the road, for 3 or 4 euro for a 3-liter jug. Or, they went to the nearest winery with a 30-liter fiasco or carboy or fustino (more about that later) and filled up. This was generally not wine that would be bought in a store or exported. They rarely bought something like a Brunello di Montalcino for their own consumption. That was for exporting, tourists, or special occasions. I'm not talking about poor people, either. Our host one time brought out a bottle of Gato Negro Cabernet and was pleased to inform me it was from Chile.

Family-run pizzerias often will serve their own wines, or the wine they bought in bulk at a local winery, from he afore-mentioned fustino sitting on the counter. The fustino is a stainless-steel wine container (also used for bulk storage of olive oil). These can range in size from 5 liters on up to hundreds of liters in the wineries. Typical pizzeria and home size is 30 liters.

Having observed all this, we started drinking wine like the locals and would usually order a half-liter with lunch or a liter of vino della casa with dinner, almost never a bottle.

After returning home, I resolved to replicate the custom in my own winemaking and consumption. Enter the fustino.

The typical home-size or 30-liter fustino has a spigot at the bottom (of course), a loose lid that covers the top, and most importantly, an inner lid that floats on top of the wine, with about 1/4" gap around the edge. After filling the fustino and inserting the floating inner lid, typically you float a bead of olive oil in the gap between the inner lid and the outer wall of the fustino to seal out the oxygen.

These fustini are fairly expensive, even in Italy, because they're big stainless steel things. They're even more expensive after they're imported here, and I haven't seen very many of them. I was fortunate enough to stumble into a homebrew store in Capitola, CA in 2002 or so that specialized in beer, not wine, and I asked what it was used for (I already knew, of course, but also knew that it was out of place in a home-beer-brewing store). The proprietor gave me an explanation that indicated to me that he really had no idea what he had there and he quoted me a steal of a price because it had been sitting around for a long time gathering dust, so I snapped it up and have been using it ever since.

So, with all of that as background, here's how I make it easy on myself with my inexpensive everyday wines:

As I said before, the only tweak I use to improve the wine itself is to add some oak. Simplicity is the key. After the wine is stabilized and degassed, the last step is to siphon the wine into bulk storage, not bottling.

For the red, it goes into the fustino. At that point, I part ways with the traditional olive-oil-inner-lid-sealing method. I put some baking soda in a small plastic cup and set it on the floating inner lid, then pour a little bit of vinegar into it. This releases a lot of CO2, which, being heavier than air, keeps the oxygen away enough to prevent spoilage while we're busily consuming the contents, which usually takes 2-3 months. The fact that there's only a small border around the floating inner lid that's exposed to the air helps prevent spoilage, too.

For the white, I just bag it in those mylar bags associated with one of those Wine-on-Tap thingies.

There's something very satisfying about going down to the wine cellar and drawing a carafe full of your own wine to enjoy at dinner time.

Last edited:
First did you check your SG.?¿?
Yes adding the water then stirring well and again check your SG to your finish preference. Please let us know what your thoughts are on the ABV.
Joe, if I remember correctly, it was past 1.10 and halfway between the 10 and 20 and below 15% ABV. That has to be correct as it was not near the base and not at 20% ABV. I just checked it and it is reading 1.040.

For the past couple of years, I've been brewing Fontana kits, either Malbec or Pinot, and Chardonnay. The only tweaking I do is oaking, both in primary and after stabilizing.

I try to keep it simple for these wines for a couple of reasons. They are our everyday table wines, and I want to keep the cost down. Our expectations are not very high and mainly want something quaffable, rather than try to turn them into something they're not. We lived for a while in rural Italy and sort of developed a reverse-wine-snob attitude. Allow me to explain.

Most people in rural Italy (at least the ones we associated with), if they didn't have their own vines, just bought their wine from the contadino up the road, for 3 or 4 euro for a 3-liter jug. Or, they went to the nearest winery with a 30-liter fiasco or carboy or fustino (more about that later) and filled up. This was generally not wine that would be bought in a store or exported. They rarely bought something like a Brunello di Montalcino for their own consumption. That was for exporting, tourists, or special occasions. I'm not talking about poor people, either. Our host one time brought out a bottle of Gato Negro Cabernet and was pleased to inform me it was from Chile.

Family-run pizzerias often will serve their own wines, or the wine they bought in bulk at a local winery, from he afore-mentioned fustino sitting on the counter. The fustino is a stainless-steel wine container (also used for bulk storage of olive oil). These can range in size from 5 liters on up to hundreds of liters in the wineries. Typical pizzeria and home size is 30 liters.

Having observed all this, we started drinking wine like the locals and would usually order a half-liter with lunch or a liter of vino della casa with dinner, almost never a bottle.

After returning home, I resolved to replicate the custom in my own winemaking and consumption. Enter the fustino.

The typical home-size or 30-liter fustino has a spigot at the bottom (of course), a loose lid that covers the top, and most importantly, an inner lid that floats on top of the wine, with about 1/4" gap around the edge. After filling the fustino and inserting the floating inner lid, typically you float a bead of olive oil in the gap between the inner lid and the outer wall of the fustino to seal out the oxygen.

These fustini are fairly expensive, even in Italy, because they're big stainless steel things. They're even more expensive after they're imported here, and I haven't seen very many of them. I was fortunate enough to stumble into a homebrew store in Capitola, CA in 2002 or so that specialized in beer, not wine, and I asked what it was used for (I already knew, of course, but also knew that it was out of place in a home-beer-brewing store). The proprietor gave me an explanation that indicated to me that he really had no idea what he had there and he quoted me a steal of a price because it had been sitting around for a long time gathering dust, so I snapped it up and have been using it ever since.

So, with all of that as background, here's how I make it easy on myself with my inexpensive everyday wines:

As I said before, the only tweak I use to improve the wine itself is to add some oak. Simplicity is the key. After the wine is stabilized and degassed, the last step is to siphon the wine into bulk storage, not bottling.

For the red, it goes into the fustino. At that point, I part ways with the traditional olive-oil-inner-lid-sealing method. I put some baking soda in a small plastic cup and set it on the floating inner lid, then pour a little bit of vinegar into it. This releases a lot of CO2, which, being heavier than air, keeps the oxygen away enough to prevent spoilage while we're busily consuming the contents, which usually takes 2-3 months. The fact that there's only a small border around the floating inner lid that's exposed to the air helps prevent spoilage, too.

For the white, I just bag it in those mylar bags associated with one of those Wine-on-Tap thingies.

There's something very satisfying about going down to the wine cellar and drawing a carafe full of your own wine to enjoy at dinner time.

I like keeping it simple too. But, I find tweaking these cheap kits to be simple. Adding oak, tannins, some fruit, or vest, reducing volume for more body all help make a better wine IMO. but what really helps is adding some time...let it sit for a year two years. Makes a huge difference. I don't think you will see that at 2-3 months old. But, it's your wine, if you like it, I love it!

Age don't age,add fruit don't add fruit ,oak in the primary tannins in the secondary, it's about putting your stamp on the wine for the good or not so good having an adventure in wine making and keeping the cost under control at the same time.
And always Think outside the box.

I like keeping it simple too. But, I find tweaking these cheap kits to be simple. Adding oak, tannins, some fruit, or vest, reducing volume for more body all help make a better wine IMO. but what really helps is adding some time...let it sit for a year two years. Makes a huge difference. I don't think you will see that at 2-3 months old. But, it's your wine, if you like it, I love it!

Agreed! I save the aging for the premium kits, and getting quick and easy turnaround on the inexpensive kits helps me resist the temptation to start drinking the premium stuff too soon.

I think I will incorporate adding some tannins to the next batch, as you and others have suggested.

First did you check your SG.?¿?
Yes adding the water then stirring well and again check your SG to your finish preference. Please let us know what your thoughts are on the ABV.

Joe/Sour Grapes
As for my SG when started . . . If I remember correctly, it was past 1.10 and halfway between the 10 and 20 and below 15% ABV. That has to be correct as it was not near the base and not at 20% ABV. I just checked it and it is reading 1.040. SG must have been at 1.115?

Today, I checked the SG and it was between .99 and 1.0. Racked it into a 5 gallon carboy and it is not quite full, probably 6-8 oz short. Can I just add water?

Thanks, David

I would just leave it alone.even if you de-gassed, some C02 will fill that space very quickly.

Getting ready to put my Grand Cru Rose Kit on for the Spring Rose season here in South Texas. Will put in a Strawberry Fpac ala Joe’s instructions and should I put in a bit of tannin?

Joe/Sour Grapes
As for my SG when started . . . If I remember correctly, it was past 1.10 and halfway between the 10 and 20 and below 15% ABV. That has to be correct as it was not near the base and not at 20% ABV. I just checked it and it is reading 1.040. SG must have been at 1.115?

Today, I checked the SG and it was between .99 and 1.0. Racked it into a 5 gallon carboy and it is not quite full, probably 6-8 oz short. Can I just add water?

Thanks, David

Don't add water. I agree you do not need to top up at this moment, as you still have a bit of fermentation happening. However, when that is over, you can top up with a reasonably similar wine.

Kwhat I would do ? When I felt the process is over don't add anything ,bottle.

About to start a couple of Island Mists. We have a black cherry Pinot and a Chocolate Orange. Does anyone have any tweeks to offer in making these. I’ve actually read this entire thread but I’m just not sure how to apply all this information to the sweet kits. Thanks!!!

Hi, I have done black cherry pino, aroma and up front taste are just fine the finish is not there and the body is thin.
Correction to be made.
1. Reduced to 5.5 gallons
2. Us either fresh or frozen cherries in the primary.
3. Add oak tannins in the secondary (1 table spoon).
Then follow up with the remaining process.
This should give you a finished product at the front end as well as better body and structure.

One more question Joe, how did you manage the Fpack? Part up front, all or a portion at the end? Thank you.

Follow the instructions with out the fpac where it belongs this kit Looses everything.
With my additions and the direction this will turnout to be a very tasty party wine if you let it sit six mos. Or so.

I started a Fontana Malbec last night. I reduced to 5 gallons, added a cup of zante currants and oak chips, a tablespoon of tannin, pitched EC1118 and attached my brew belt. I have a nice fermentation started tonight. Almost forgot, SG was 1.107.

Attachments

• fontana_ferment.JPG
    fontana_ferment.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Have you done these before?
I've found they are great for learning with or adding to your stock and are also great for giving away.

I purchased a western family California white from save on foods.

To give it a difference I added 1 kilo o raspberry’s to make it have a slight different flavor. I will let you know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back