Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's better....alway check and recheck.. now stay the course and always Think outside the box.

Not sure about the brown sugar never used it but if it works for you ,nice
Use of coffee extraction is also fun.
Just an aside comment..re brown sugar. I was struggling with a country wine ( Rhubarb) two years back and decided to use brown sugar. It had Outstanding side flavours without unsettling the basic rhubarb taste. I have never used in a kit, but the thought is always there if things go off the rails. Salud

Last edited:
I have used brown sugar syurp myself.
It's molasses and sugar.
I wanted to add another taste hint in my Sharaz and also my Apple spice wine.
Worked for me in both cases.

I started in this hobby messing with hard cider. This summer made a few different wines from fresh fruits and herbs like blackberry (so so results) and mint (rocket fuel). My better half says I need to try a kit, thinking of this one from Amazon NIAGARA MIST Wine Kit – Black Cherry. Any advise for a newbie? Also, I am disabled and have lifting restrictions so I only have 1 gallon carboys. I’m thinking it can be divided up, maybe even try a few different things ..........

Just an aside comment..re brown sugar. I was struggling with a country wine ( Rhubarb) two years back and decided to use brown sugar. It had Outstanding side flavours without unsettling the basic rhubarb taste. I have never used in a kit, but the thought is always there if things go off the rails. Salud
And on the brown sugar, I have some caramel apple cider going. Has anyone tried carmalizing simple syrup in the microwave?

Farmside.... also look at the Fontana Amazon wine kits, about the same price point.

My last Mist type kit notes show added 4# sugar...1.085...this stuff just does not last!

Pre-plan your work and the area....easier to siphon rack from Higher to lower, so start your wine up high on a shelf or table. Then you can rack down into smaller jugs later. You certainly can split the batches too. It would be interesting to try different additions/flavors.

You can also freeze and left over concentrate for later use

Update on the 6 cheap kits. The one (Sangiovese) that I added 2 TBS coffee beans to, I blended with 3 batches of Cab Franc, (4gal Cab Franc : 2gal of the kit) there was just to much coffee taste.

The Valpolicella turned out great, nearly gone already.

The one merlot is very fruit forward (12 oz dried cherries) and great with dark chocolate, the other is still in carboy and seems a bit bigger.

The Chianti is also nice but the raspberry note seemed to disappear.

The Sav Blanc in very nice and 1 TBS of zest is plenty, Glad Joe coached me out of 2TBS.

update on my merlot with coffee beans and Blanc with coffee beans...i am finding that the coffee taste mellows and dissipates as it ages(3-4 months),not all together though.

I'm sure I was impatient on the dissipation, but the Cab Franc needed something as well. So far the blend seems like I may have pulled one out of my #$%. I think it may turn out better than most.

For this fall I got 60 gal drum of Amarone juice and 4 lugs Merlot from Luvabella. So far so good?!

Keep being creative in your wine making ,learn don't be a afraid to experiment.
Keep in mind less is always best.
Coffee beans ( no) instant coffee yes ,1 tablet spoon per 5/6 gallons mix.
Going back to fpacs.always look at your wines basic profile.Understand the flavor profile.
Learn the difference between your wines profiles and a partnership with a background flavor.or a primary enhancement...ask the questions have fun.

Last edited:
Expecting a French Rose kit shortly, any hints as to what to add? Was thinking of a bit of lemon or orange zest, just a touch.

Also if doing a long term (2-4 months) bulk aging, should I fill the carboy to within 2” of the plug? Also, should I change the water lock to a solid plug?

Thanks,

John

Try an fpac made of fresh strawberries in the primary then keep to the process. It will turn out excellent if you give it time.
Do you know how to make an fpac my style?

Last edited:
Now for a slightly off topic question, has anyone taken home made wine in checked baggage? Anyone have any problems with TSA on taking our wines on flights? I know commercial wines are OK, but couldn’t get a clear answer from TSAon Home made wines.

Joe ( @joeswine ), you did me a solid today. I was making dinner, sipping on a kit Chardonnay. For my broccoli dish, I zested and juiced half of a lemon. I said "Why not?" and added a pinch of lemon zest to my oakey Chard. It really enhanced it. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back