Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello to all my Wine kit enthusiast.
I have two Carboys of wine.
Last stage..backsweetened (which started the animals producing co2 again).
Several days now... bubble stopped.
Now it's ever so slowly back towards the wine.
Why... how...that would indicate a vacuum effect?
Any ideas ( please without sarcasm)
I'm just asking.
Thank you.

I believe you are asking why the level in an S-shaped airlock could now be higher on the wine side than on the atmosphere side?

If so, it would probably be because the atmospheric pressure changed, i.e., a weather front moved through. Now the pressure is higher outside the carboy than it had been before.

This effect will be larger for a larger volume of headspace in the vessel.

Sometime if you move the carboy around nor distribor the bottle in anyway .
Causing the gas trap in the sedment to excape and cause pressure to rise inside . Vibration can cause the same effect.
Atmosphere presents also can cause the dams effect in reverse.

Last edited:
Transferred the Cabernet Sauvignon to a 6 gallon carboy today. Measured the SG at 0.904, must had a very pleasant rich fruity small with a definite alcohol presence. It spent 23 days in primary with good to moderate bubbling through the water lock. All of the Oak chips had sunk, still some of the grape skins, etc. in the bottom. Now will let it sit for a couple of weeks in secondary fermentation with a water lock on it, then will degas and start the racking.

I believe you are asking why the level in an S-shaped airlock could now be higher on the wine side than on the atmosphere side?

If so, it would probably be because the atmospheric pressure changed, i.e., a weather front moved through. Now the pressure is higher outside the carboy than it had been before.

This effect will be larger for a larger volume of headspace in the vessel.

Thanks friends,
Air pressure....yep!
Hadn't moved it.
Racked it and added 1 Camden tab,
Now seems to be fermenting again?
It's been 16 days since I backsweetened, would you add sorbate again adding to what I put in from the kit?
The tadte of Pinot Gris has become more sour.
????

Thanks friends,
Air pressure....yep!
Hadn't moved it.
It's been 16 days since I backsweetened, would you add sorbate again adding to what I put in from the kit?
????

Thanks friends,
Air pressure....yep!
Hadn't moved it.
????

When you say seems to be fermenting, do you mean that your SG is changing, even if ever so slightly. Or do you mean that bubbles seem to be coming out of your airlock??

If bubbles, it might just be CO2 coming out of suspension. Either way, I wouldn't add additional sorbate, if it truly has restarted fermentation (which I doubt, but...) the sorbate won't really do much of anything anyway.

This is the next adventure in cheap wine making: THESE KITS IM MAKING FOR KATE'S SISTER'S WEDDING

WILD GRAPE THAT'S THE NAME, I'LL PROBLEY DO THEM AT A 5.5 GALLON KIT AS OPPOSED TO A FULL GALLON KIT,

KATE WANTS GRAPE FRUIT ZEST ADDED TO THE Chardonnay, MOSCATO STRAIGHT UP AND THE CALIFORNIA CAB WITH

OAK STRAIGHT UP WE'LL ALSO KEEP THE WHITES AT 12% ABV. AND THE RED AT 13% ABV. SINCE WE'RE THE WINE MAKER WE HAVE CONTROL.

THE 4TH IS A POMGRANATE, I'LL PROBLE MAKE A POM FPAC AND TAKE THE ABV TO 10%....

WILL GET STARTED RIGHT AFTER THE WEEKEND.....

Attachments

• stuff 005.jpg
    stuff 005.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 41
  • stuff 006.jpg
    stuff 006.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 42
  • stuff 007.jpg
    stuff 007.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
When you say seems to be fermenting, do you mean that your SG is changing, even if ever so slightly. Or do you mean that bubbles seem to be coming out of your airlock??

If bubbles, it might just be CO2 coming out of suspension. Either way, I wouldn't add additional sorbate, if it truly has restarted fermentation (which I doubt, but...) the sorbate won't really do much of anything anyway.
That's probably it,I will check the sh tonight.
Do know why the Pinot Gris sowering?
I'm discovering Whites tobet more temperamental than reds.

5983//// my ladies search the internet and they come up with most of them.
I've made wine in volume for them berfore,they buy, send and tell me want they want there finish to be like.
Sugar...th th souring is probably acidtdy degas more and let it sit before bottling at least 1 mo.

5983//// my ladies search the internet and they come up with most of them.
I've made wine in volume for them berfore,they buy, send and tell me want they want there finish to be like.
Sugar...th th souring is probably acidtdy degas more and let it sit before bottling at least 1 mo.
Tanks! Appreciate it.

I will be starting an Island Mist Black Raspberry Merlot kit soon and wondered if anyone could advise me on "boosting" it's alcohol potential. I would like for it to come out around 12.5 to 13% abv. Any other tweaking suggestions are great as well.

Thanks

Add 1 guart of simple that should be good enough to boost the ABV to 10 per cent.i would add a cup of oah to the secondary to bulk up the depth or add sons blackberries to the sevsecond.just a thought.

Add 1 guart of simple that should be good enough to boost the ABV to 10 per cent.i would add a cup of oah to the secondary to bulk up the depth or add sons blackberries to the sevsecond.just a thought.
thanks, I'm open to all suggestions.

Well, finished the whole thread and learned so much. I have been taking notes. I am going to tweak my first cheap kits, a Fontana Merlot and Shiraz. Any and every recommendation is appreciated! Here is my plan:

Merlot tweak:
  • 1 cup French oak
  • 1 lb fresh black currants (mine are spicy) from my berry patch or 10 oz Zante Currants
  • 1 T Tannin in primary and secondary
  • coffee - been or instant
  • cocoa?
  • 1 Q Simple syrup

Shiraz tweak
  • 1 cup french oak
  • 1 lb fresh raspberries or blueberries or maybe fresh purple grapes off my vine (can't remember variety but very sweet when ripe) but they will not be ready for a few weeks. I also have ripe red and white currants I can use. If nothing else, I will use Zante Currants.
  • 1 Q Simple syrup
  • 1 T Tannin in primary and secondary.
I have never used a hydrometer or ph strips for any of my kits in the ten years I have been making wine with kits (2-3 kits/year). Wondering if I follow the recipes if I will need to do so.

Suggestions or recommendations appreciated!

Latest posts

Back