Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried Amazon wine kits and got old juice that did make a wine but oxidized before it matured. At least recommend they buy from a reputable dealer.

I can't tell you how many cheap wine kits have been made on this thread without a problem granted when you start to devert from the MFG. Standards it's on you the maker, oxidation is a fault of the wine makers themselves not the MFG. And at this point we haven't had anyone having a problem with oxidation. We have produced many kits on this thread.

you are absolutely full of it to pretend you can make good wine from old juice. They have an expiration date for a reason. Ive made good wines from fruits, berries and teas, good kits and cheap kits, but the wine i made from Amazon's cheap kits were flawed

you are absolutely full of it to pretend you can make good wine from old juice. They have an expiration date for a reason. Ive made good wines from fruits, berries and teas, good kits and cheap kits, but the wine i made from Amazon's cheap kits were flawed

I’m pretty sure that @joeswine missed that detail about the juice being old, so I suspect that you’re both arguing different points here. Joe’s is that he and others make good wine from cheap kits; yours is that in the cheap Amazon kit you got, the juice was old and expired, oxidized, and didn’t make a good wine. Two different points, and both, I believe, valid.

To all as a most inexperienced Newbee,
Enjoying the cheap wine thread..
The differences are as different as our tastes.
I'm on my 3rd Cheap kit. As I continue to clean and disinfect,clean and disinfect and, well you know. It is going well,nose and taste.
Also have made a Spiced Apple Wine drinking now while the kits age.
I also have my own Vines (Muscadine).
That was my first attempt at wine. Happy so far.
I gave these few words as background.
My question to the tread has anyone used a small amount of Liquid Smoke, to add a Chard oak barrel aging taste to a cheap kit?
Don't laugh just thinking.

After a year summer of West coast forest fire smoke and the concerns of grape growers associated , I'm left wondering about the difference between the smoke flavor as it applies to food, and the effect oak has on wine.
Don't get me wrong it might be awesome. Don't know if you don't try.
But I think/ feel/ believe, Charing oak changes the effect that the oak itself has ,I've not experienced any smoke characteristics from using roasted chips or cubes, in fact a bag of medium French cubes smells like a cabinet shop.
Maybe with barrels it's different ???????
Perhaps a roasted chip tea would would add a quick oaky dryness

I have not made a kit in a while. I bought 6 Fontana kits.

I'll use Zante currants, Frozen black berries, dried cherries, and whatever else comes to mind to add flavor textures.

We'll see how it goes

This is a brilliant idea. Do you just toss them in a nylon bag? Keep them for the entire primary fermentation?

I’m pretty sure that @joeswine missed that detail about the juice being old, so I suspect that you’re both arguing different points here. Joe’s is that he and others make good wine from cheap kits; yours is that in the cheap Amazon kit you got, the juice was old and expired, oxidized, and didn’t make a good wine. Two different points, and both, I believe, valid.

I'm on my 3rd cheap Amazon kit. No issues so far, but I have thought about kit delivery during the hot summer months...

I have a $43 Amazon “Wine Lovers” Merlot on the way, any suggestions as to Oak, Yeast, or other goodies to throw in the mix other than those already listed. Really wondering about the yeast. I was thinking of aging in a 20 liter Oak keg, but would the chips be ok? I only have one keg.

John

A number of you have added cocoa powder for that chocolate note. Has anyone who has done this had problems with the wine clearing? I have a raspberry port with dutch chocolate powder that has been aging for a year. I've tried double doses of bentonite, super-clear and pectic enzyme. I am suspecting the cocoa powder is the problem and I want to try filtering but I don't want to strip the chocolate flavor out. It is absolutely delicious!

you can by liquid oak at your brew shop at least at one near me it's designed not to be harsh and a little goes a long way,Powder cocoa can be a problem filtering out that's why I use instant coffee has the same backend effect . One teaspoon per 5 gallons is good enough then walk away. WILL START TO POST MORE OFTEN AFTER THIS WEEKEND...STAY THE COURSE AND ALWAYS THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. update on the sanginovese CHIANTI batch

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 30
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 31
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 32
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 32
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
PHASE #2 GANGINOVESE /CHIANTI BLEND...

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 21
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
IMG_20180423_141852733 - Copy.jpg IMG_20180423_142813424_HDR.jpg #% SANGINOVESE /CHIANTI BLEND

Attachments

• IMG_20180423_142917187.jpg
    IMG_20180423_142917187.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
Back