Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOM"S pino grigio continued.......all bottled and ready for delivery..

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 60
Making my way through this thread, and on page 33. Haven’t yet seen anyone try to do an earthy Pinot noir. I have the Fontana kit on the way (never done one) and thinking about adding some mushrooms. Thoughts about if / when?

Ok here's a thought, a good pino noir is usually med body , fruit forward and if you're going to use a Fontana kit then this is what I would do.first bring it down to a five gallon size, itin the primary add 1 cup of black currents, 1 teaspoon of powder tannins and 1 cup of French oak or a heavy toasted oak.Then allow it to work through the process as per MFG. in the secondary add 1 small PC's. Of smoked ancho chilly to taste that should take it to earth without the heat.

Thanks For the suggestions @joeswine, and thanks to you and all the contributors for this great thread :br. Took me two days, but I made it to the end. Now I have to start over and capture notes :slp .

On the ancho chili, that’s a very interesting suggestion. Gonna give that some thought. Going to the market tomorrow and will see what I can find. I was planning to follow your general suggestions, but potentially use black cherries in primary and mushroom in secondary, but now I’m going to consider the ancho’s. Thanks again!

D

If you choose to us the mushrooms then soak the mushrooms in warm water , use just the juice of the mushrooms not the mushrooms themselves in primary.

Seems to me that if you are ever going to boil something before adding it to your wine, it would be mushrooms, fungi not being on my list of additives, but on my list of avoidances.......

Guess mushroom wine is not on your list of things to try :h

Toms pino grigio with grapefruit zest

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 54
Pitched the yeast on my Pinot (1118). Thanks for the suggestions. Here’s what I did for primary:

Fontana Pinot kit made to 5 gal
Sautéed 12oz frozen black cherries in Syrah and added to batch
Added 1 cup simple syrup (2:1 ratio)
Added 1oz medium toast French oak.

Initial SG - 1.12
Fermenting using 80F strap

Here’s what I plan on secondary:
Add 1 oz med toast French oak
Add 1tbl spoon wine tannin

I’m on the fence on the earthiness. I couldn’t find any anchos, and the mushrooms at my market we’re great. Going to try to go to a farmers market tomorrow. Research into “mushroom wine” turned up some interesting info (google “mushroom wine”) on its bennifits... I didn’t even know it was a thing.

Any suggestions from here to achieve an earthy Pinot is welcome.

Ok, it's 1:20am, and I just finished reading all 1011 posts in one sitting. My eye lids are swollen sausages! Will be back with my cheap kits and my plans for your critique. Good night, all!

Joe, a quick question. You add zest at various points in the process. I am wondering what you do, particularly after fermentation, to make certain that the zest you add does not contaminate the wine, how do you sterilize it? Thanks,

I think what happens is the acitidy in the zest itself takes care of it, I've never had a problem with that, aspect.using zest is an excellent way to added crispness to a wines finish.tryit you'll like it

Just recently joined. I have read all the posts on this thread. Have not got to the other thread on what to do when it goes wrong. Just starting wine making first kit WE vintners reserve pinot blanc. It is in the carboy right now. I want to make a couple of red kits by the book to get a base line But I can't wait to try one of the Fontana red tweaks. I really like reds.

Welcome aboard and yes there a lot to learn just take your time ,time is you partner, planning is you Alie always ask if you're not sure ,and above all always think outside the box.

Last edited:
Would you consider the vintners reserve Chardonnay by wine expert a cheap kit? I’m struggling with reducing it down to 5 gallons. Beyond that I plan on adding Oak and half of a grapefruit zest in the primary.

no ,they are a little more concentrated for their volume ,your plan is correct keep it simple Chardonnay with a little oak and the zest of 1/2 grapefruit should do the trick,,stay the course. Keep us updated..

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 36
Okay cheap kit wine makers lets here what you experienced both good and bad with the cheap wine kit experience and yes it does matter which kit to decrease volume and not to that all comes from trial and error but it's also fun to THNK OUTSIDE THE BOX,isn't it.? MELBEC>>>

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg