Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys a little help for our cheP wine kit maker..

I haven't done one of the Fontana white kits. But, I did two whites, a Chardonnay and a Pinot Griso that I reduced down to 5 gallons...not sure that was the best move. They are kinda "thick"...not light whites...but add about 20% water and they are pretty good. That said, I don't think I would reduce the volume too much.

Bump the SG to 1.08-1.09 with added simple syrup. Maybe a Fpac of white grapes or apricots...I used dried chopped up apricots in the primary. After primary use a citrus extract or a bit of grapefruit zest.

I guess the next tweak would be oak or no oak....cheP's choice....or split the batch and do half and half...maybe even half a cup in the primary to improve the mouth feel?

How was that Joe? What do you think BossMan?

Not bad your getting there,as far as a cold soak,it helps settle out the solids and clears the wine better.

Thanks! Dumb questions...
How much syrup to get up to 1.08 or is it just if needed?
What is a fpak? What does it stand for?
Does oak improve mouth feel?

I am thinking of making a merlot and shiraz kit. Any kits and tweeks you suggest?

Thanks! Dumb questions...
How much syrup to get up to 1.08 or is it just if needed?
What is a fpak? What does it stand for?
Does oak improve mouth feel?

Make simple syrup by adding two cups sugar to 1 cup water. Warm the water to desolve sugar, let cool. Then add simple syrup to must, stirring it in well, while using your hydrometer to reach the desired SG.

fpak = flavoring pack. Joe has pictures and tells technique to make it. In the search bar type in fpak. And look and read back through his Threads. Look at post #632.

Oak when used in the correct amount can add to wine in both aroma and taste, while also helping with clearing and aging as tannins.

Last edited:
Hi Tnuscan. In this above post you mentioned, "oak, used in the correct amount". Well in my first use of oak chips (french med.) I used about 2xs what I should have, and the wine, at 4 weeks, is smoky, oaky and turns the stomach a little. Anything I can do? I've got 2 gallons of it. Fran

Hi Tnuscan. In this above post you mentioned, "oak, used in the correct amount". Well in my first use of oak chips (french med.) I used about 2xs what I should have, and the wine, at 4 weeks, is smoky, oaky and turns the stomach a little. Anything I can do? I've got 2 gallons of it. Fran

Fran, hello. The taste will /can fade some, given time.
However you may wish to make more and blend the two to balance it to your liking.
After adding oak it is wise to taste every week or so to find what you like, remembering that it will fade a little while aging.

Making a FPAC

follow the flow:HB this is just my style of doing this process.

1 rinse berries - Copy (2).jpg

2 add to the pan - Copy (2).jpg

3 add juice - Copy (2).jpg

4 change colors - Copy.jpg

5 add a lid for a few mins - Copy (2).jpg

6 change colors and smoosh - Copy (2).jpg

8 finished f pak - Copy.jpg

9  Add to bag - Copy (2).jpg

I just did a second racking of my Cab Sauv and it is not as dry as I would like it. Would I be able to add additional tannins or oak at this stage as I have added the clarifying agents?

follow the flow:HB this is just my style of doing this process.

Joeswine. I'm currently into my 3rd racking of a premium red trio blend and once again, a kit wine is letting me down in overall nose and flavor profile. I upgraded my yeast and using quality oak in the bulk aging process with no avail.

So... Starting a premium Super Tuscan in a few days and thinking about adding some frozen black berries I picked in the spring. However, these are the smaller berries that tend to be a bit on the tart side.

In your experience using blackberries. How much does it change the flavor profile and does it add complexity to the wine?

Just don't want to mess up a $100 premium wine kit but tired of the same ole flat "no frills" kit experience.

Thoughts?

jlfpa:Nose is a problem with most kits ,it's something you need to live with in some cases there's some and in most none?? Yes add more oak to the mix and let it sit for 4 to 5 mos. as long as you fermented to dry to start with tannins will smooth out he wine over time, but the trick was to finish with enough alcohol to start with and going to dry.

Rtent2002:youu started with a blended red and finished up with a wine that had no taste profile to start with, your next venture is a super Tuscan ,my advice is to add a good amount of (tannins powder) to the primary along with French oak if you can ,also add 1 cup of raisins to the mix( primary) bring the abv. to at least 14%and follow the process but more then that follow your hydrometer readings let that be your guide and keep good control of the process. Blackberries are my favorite fruit to work with but they come with their own side affects they can bring hi PH and tartness . In the primary they become as a partner with the base, in the secondary they the act as a enhancement element or a background flavor ,GOT IT? berries in a wine are great to play with no your wines taste profile before you start.

For chardonnay citrus extract would you consider lemon or lime juice? Also would s touch of vanilla extract be a good or bad idea?

Grapefruit zest just a tablespoon per the ^ gallons on this one if you want to keep it fruity and not like your socking on a log, just a small amount of tannins in the secondary..

Last edited:
Sangiovese/ merlo

THIS WILL BE THE FIRST TIME WE'VE DONE THIS CRU KIT AT $51.00 NOT A BAD PRICE AND I SPLIT THE COST WITH MY FRIEND KATE WE ALSO BE DOING A ZINFANDEL BLUSH AT $51.00.SO STAY TUNED......:db

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

2 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Grapefruit zest just a tablespoon per the ^ gallons on this one if you want to keep it fruity and not like your socking on a log, just a small amount of tannins in the secondary..

Joe,
So are you saying to use 5 tablespoons for a 5 gallon kit? 1 tablespoon per gallon?

1 tablespoon per 5 gallons or 6 gallons depending on the acidity (bite) you want on the finish, go lite you could always add more, got it!

Last edited:
Hey All,

Looking to start up a mid-grade Pinot Gris kit (10L Cheeky Monkey Washington Pinot Gris) shortly. I don't want to deviate too much from the kit, nor add any sweetness, for this one as it's for the missus to replenish her Pinot Gris stock.
Ideas?

Enjoyed a bottle of the tweeked Malbec, it's coming along nicely, the extra kick is nice too.

Latest posts

Back